Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 24 2012, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 24 2012, 08:41 AM)
I understand what you're saying, and maybe the promoters expected bigger crowds due to the popularity of king crimson, but i have seen dt dozens of times and have always felt a connection with mp.  When he was with the band he knew how to stand up and bring the audience to their feet.  That stimulus is now gone.  Mangini is awesum, and I'm glad the dt camp is happy now, but the same place where I've seen dt play by themselves and pack it everytime and friday night there was not one person in my section besides my girlfriend. In fact the lower and upper bowl had about 10% capacity.  How do you explain that? Every other time they were packed or at least at 90%.  They need to surprise people with something epic on this next album. If they can't pull that off they might have to go back to playing 800 seat theaters like they did on the falling into infinity tour. Seriously.  Something happened.  Just because they have a world-class drummer, maybe even the best fit for dt right now doesn't mean they aren't missing something. In fact there were so few ppl at the theatre friday night, that they, for the first time, had to setup folding chairs on the main floor, to make it appear filled up down there.
Wtf happened???
Edited: my gf corrected me. The upper and lower bowls were at around 5% capacity, according to her...

Crimson isn't that popuar are they? They certainly aren't gonna help Dream Theater sell out any of the venues they're booked to play this tour. Especially when it comes to the larger ones. Maybe Portnoy leaving had more of an impact on concert attendance because if they're not filling up venues they always use to in the past, his leaving meant more than I thought it did. They do miss his stage presence but I think that playing wise, Mangini is a fine live replacement for him. I'm also starting to wonder if maybe the fanbase is losing interest in the band in genreal? Maybe Portnoy noticed that and that's why he wanted the band to take a break for a bit. It's great that Dream Theater has consistanly done album/tour every two years since Images & Words. But maybe they should take some time off and let the fans miss them for a bit. Then it's possible the crowds will be back again after a layoff from the band.

Now that I think about it, them not doing the "evening with" shows anymore might be taking a toll on ticket sales to. It's something special that not many bands do and it set their shows apart from everyone else. Their music was made for that kind of show and I think a return to that next tour will help with ticket sales if they stay as bad as they've been for the rest of this tour.

That's an interesting point about fans just losing interest in general. That could be. King crimson is not huge in usa but a pretty huge cult following. They've been around since 1969 and there have been over 1,500 albums released by all 18 past and present crimson members. Not super popular, but you'd think it would help dt fill up venues they filled up without an opener, eh? Although projekct crimson came out so strong, i think they were the wrong opener for this tour, which i never would have predicted. Kc were influences, major influences for dt, so im sure they were tickled ti have CP open. It's scary to think if dt were by themselves in terms of ticket sales.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events is one of the best albums DT has ever made in my opinion.

Don't bow down to Metaldad, he doesn't know everything. atickhum.gif

Its great!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink38.gif

653.gif

and I would be thrilled if Portnoy came back, but I'll just roll with Mangini if he stays. I will remain a big fan and move forward, looking forward to another stellar album. bacon.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 24 2012, 10:08 AM)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events is one of the best albums DT has ever made in my opinion.

trink38.gif

653.gif

and I would be thrilled if Portnoy came back, but I'll just roll with Mangini if he stays. I will remain a big fan and move forward, looking forward to another stellar album. bacon.gif

moon.gif

Sorry your hearing is going old man but that album is just rehashed riffs from the first 2 albums yes.gif MM is a great drummer but i don't think he fits the band . You just love the album because your Butt wub.gif Buddy JLB is on it Stop staring at his pic and Listen with your Ears bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 25 2012, 10:19 AM)

Its great!!! 1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

trink38.gif

653.gif

moon.gif

Sorry your hearing is going old man but that album is just rehashed riffs from the first 2 albums yes.gif MM is a great drummer but i don't think he fits the band . You just love the album because your Butt wub.gif Buddy JLB is on it Stop staring at his pic and Listen with your Ears bitchslap.gif

ohmy.gif

Easy, guys! rofl3.gif

I'm either old or dt's lights are too bright on this tour. I'm not going to see dt again until they come out with another album that tickles my funnybone...

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 24 2012, 09:46 AM)
Just saw them in Detroit Friday night 2nd row directly in front of Petrucci!
He shook my hand after the show! 1022.gif It was awesome.

Cool! J.P. is a fan pleaser, that's for sure...

trink38.gif

653.gif

So tell us about these bromantic feelings you have for Jamesy, Tick! I think Metaldad's onto something! tongue.gif

Just got back from seeing Dream Theater here in Austin..

HOLY shtie was it amazing......Ill post a full review and some pics later on when I can (busy weekend), but one special thing we got was an extended encore... Today (well yesterday, as I am posting this after midnight) was the 20th anniversary of Images and Words, and they've been playing just (SPOILER)

"Metropolis" as an encore for the duration of the tour, tonight they played "Pull Me Under" "Another Day" and "Metropolis" in honor of the anniversary... great show... had an amazing time.

I would go see DT again in a heartbeat. I have seen them once, when they toured with Queensryche back in '03. I missed them on the Awake tour back in the mid '90's; they were doing select dates with Fates Warning, and the night I saw Fates was one of the dates that DT were NOT playing with them. sad.gif

But, I live in the asshole of the nation, apparently. We VERY RARELY get decent concerts in Boise (a four hour round trip drive for me). I usually have to travel to SLC (almost 8 hours round trip), and I have traveled much further to see Rush. DT didn't even come NEAR me this tour. sad.gif

I have mixed feelings about MP leaving, and I really haven't listened to much stuff off the newest album. I'm not a huge fan of much after Falling Into Infinity anyways. But, it would be great to see them live. Stellar musicians, fo sho! 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 8 2012, 12:15 AM)

HOLY shtie was it amazing......Ill post a full review and some pics later on when I can (busy weekend), but one special thing we got was an extended encore... Today (well yesterday, as I am posting this after midnight) was the 20th anniversary of Images and Words, and they've been playing just (SPOILER)
"Metropolis" as an encore for the duration of the tour, tonight they played "Pull Me Under" "Another Day" and "Metropolis" in honor of the anniversary... great show... had an amazing time.

Dammit, why didn't they start playing Pull Me Under and Another Day at the begining of the tour so I could've heard those two songs? angry.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 8 2012, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 8 2012, 12:15 AM)

HOLY shtie was it amazing......Ill post a full review and some pics later on when I can (busy weekend), but one special thing we got was an extended encore... Today (well yesterday, as I am posting this after midnight) was the 20th anniversary of Images and Words, and they've been playing just  (SPOILER)

Dammit, why didn't they start playing Pull Me Under and Another Day at the begining of the tour so I could've heard those two songs? angry.gif

Like I said, yesterday was the day I&W came out 20 years ago... so I think it was just that show..... but I dunno.

Myung was surprisingly enthusiastic on stage when I saw them last year. I was expecting him to stand still the whole time but he actually walked around the stage and seemed to really enjoy playing. I think he's been like this for the whole tour.

Been awhile since I've posted here, but I gotta say:

As a long time DT fan (since early 90's), I think this new album is one of their best. Whoever's saying it's not that good is simply nuts tongue.gif And as far as Mike Mangini goes, I love the dude smile.gif I've seen them 3 times this tour and he is so much fun to watch play. He just has a great time playing and brings a whole new energy to the band. The guy is not arrogant, he's freakin' AMAZING, lol, a genius really. He can do things with one hand that most people can't do with 2 NeilFinal.gif . I have nothing against MP, but Mangini's drumming and energy has sort of rejuvenated DT in a sense. I haven't really gotten into their last few albums, so I've enjoyed the hell outta this one biggrin.gif And I got to meet the guys at a meet and greet. They were all very cool trink39.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jul 13 2012, 11:38 PM)

As a long time DT fan (since early 90's), I think this new album is one of their best. Whoever's saying it's not that good is simply nuts tongue.gif And as far as Mike Mangini goes, I love the dude smile.gif I've seen them 3 times this tour and he is so much fun to watch play. He just has a great time playing and brings a whole new energy to the band. The guy is not arrogant, he's freakin' AMAZING, lol, a genius really. He can do things with one hand that most people can't do with 2 NeilFinal.gif . I have nothing against MP, but Mangini's drumming and energy has sort of rejuvenated DT in a sense. I haven't really gotten into their last few albums, so I've enjoyed the hell outta this one biggrin.gif And I got to meet the guys at a meet and greet. They were all very cool trink39.gif

Hey Lulu!

bekloppt.gif

I just saw on Facebook that Pags went to a Dream Theater show last night! ohmy.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jul 14 2012, 12:38 AM)

1022.gif trink39.gif

Been busy and have not been able to post, but here are some pics from the concert a week ago..

(I have a lot more, but I am just gonna post a couple, I cannot resize these with iphoto)

Crimson Projekt

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/602624_2273316168679_1356326087_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564011_2273316248681_884742133_n.jpg

Dream Theater

Good Full Band Image with the stage setup

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532509_2273319608765_1110654637_n.jpg

Jordan on Keytar

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/532480_2273317808720_646749393_n.jpg

John and John

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553958_2273319288757_1932418966_n.jpg

Band at the End

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/318740_2273320648791_1357307870_n.jpg