Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

HELP!!!

I am commited to doing a review of the cd and don't have time to formulate an opinion!!

Cmon ducky! Cmon tick! Metaldad! Got any feedback after listening for awhile? I heard first five songs and enjoyed some of the riffs, but it really hasn't grabbed me yet..

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 25 2011, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 25 2011, 02:36 AM)
The Great Debate? Now why would they include that? I can't stand that song; it just sounds so preachy that I can't imagine hearing it live.

I have never been a big fan of this song. It misses the mark for me. Perhaps it would work live?

Maybe not, on the LAB special stuff disc it's live on there and James butchers the chorus BADLY.

Maybe he'll do better this time!

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 27 2011, 08:37 AM)
HELP!!!
I am commited to doing a review of the cd and don't have time to formulate an opinion!!
Cmon ducky! Cmon tick! Metaldad! Got any feedback after listening for awhile? I heard first five songs and enjoyed some of the riffs, but it really hasn't grabbed me yet..

Generic Feedback:

Overall, one of their best albums. I wish Rush would write a new album that was on par with some of their classic-era stuff like DT has done.

Breaking All Illusions is the best song.

Bridges in the Sky has the best chorus (though BMU,BMD is a close 2nd)

The softer songs are all good, but This is the Life is the best IMO.

Lost Not Forgotten sounds like it could fit on Systematic Chaos to me (not a bad thing necessarily).

Lost Not Forgotten features like a full minute and a half of JP and JR playing what amounts to 5,000 notes as fast as they can. It's just way too much and detracts from what is otherwise an awesome song.

James is the man. Hopefully this album will quiet some of the naysayers out there but it probably won't.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 26 2011, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 26 2011, 12:02 PM)
I sadly won't be going to see DT this tour... from the moment tickets went on sale there was nothing below 100 buck for Bass Concert Hall in Austin...

I love the band, but I can't swing a $100 ticket.

Ouch. Try winning tix at your local radio station maybe??

What local radio stations in the US play and support Dream Theater and give away tickets to their shows? Those are usually done for bands who have mainstream popularity.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 27 2011, 09:37 AM)
HELP!!!

I love the album big time. I'm not a review guy because I can't be bothered trying to analyze each song. There isn't one song I don't like and I am thrilled there are no cheesy Mike vocals on the record. Those are always uncomfortable.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 27 2011, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 26 2011, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 26 2011, 12:02 PM)
I sadly won't be going to see DT this tour... from the moment tickets went on sale there was nothing below 100 buck for Bass Concert Hall in Austin...

I love the band, but I can't swing a $100 ticket.

Ouch. Try winning tix at your local radio station maybe??

What local radio stations in the US play and support Dream Theater and give away tickets to their shows? Those are usually done for bands who have mainstream popularity.

Many of them do. Dream Theater is the most popular progressive metal band in the world these days. If your local radio stations don't give away tickets, look on Craigslist or go to the venue on show day and look for a last minute scalper who's trying to cut his losses. You might find a ticket or two you can score for $10-$20 if you're lucky. If you don't have the cash you have to roll up your sleeves and work for it, man! Good luck! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 27 2011, 09:37 AM)
HELP!!!

I love the album big time. I'm not a review guy because I can't be bothered trying to analyze each song. There isn't one song I don't like and I am thrilled there are no cheesy Mike vocals on the record. Those are always uncomfortable.

Well at least I can put that tidbit on my review as a general note. I'll post our review as soon as it's published. If anyone else has anything to add I'll take anything I can get. The more song specific the better, but a general note helps.

One thing you can mention is that some of the songs on the new album have melodies and arrangements which are "loosely based" on songs from Images & Words. Outcry derives from Metropolis Pt. I, Lost Not Forgotten from Under a Glass Moon, and there are a few more examples.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 26 2011, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 26 2011, 05:42 PM)
Wish there were more new songs in the setlist.

are you serious? They play 5 out of the 8 songs on the new album per night, and cumulatively they've already played all of them except for Lost Not Forgotten. in terms of time, new songs make up close to 50% of the setlist...and you still think that's not enough? Maybe if they were still doing Evening With shows they could afford to play the entire album nightly, but they have to appease amateur fans and people who are seeing their first show this tour as well.

One more editorial comment: they should add Beyond this Life, which IMO should never be separated from Fatal Tragedy...

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Sep 27 2011, 12:40 PM)
One thing you can mention is that some of the songs on the new album have melodies and arrangements which are "loosely based" on songs from Images & Words. Outcry derives from Metropolis Pt. I, Lost Not Forgotten from Under a Glass Moon, and there are a few more examples.

aRE you saying the melodies are the same, or just a hint of the same pattern or concept?

I let my guitarist write most of the article. I added that I thought the drum mix is kinda weak and that I'm looking forward to hearing what they can do on their next studio effort when Mangini gets a chance to help compose. My guitarist mentioned MM is turned down in the mix. He also felt Jordan really dominated this one, maybe a little bit too much.

Thanks.

BTW, who was saying they need a producer? Andy Wallace assisted JP from what I understand. Between the two of them, however, I think their mix suffered from a lack of Mike Portnoy, or at least a drummer. I look at Andy's list of accomplishments and I'm wondering how he coulda let that slip by. I'm guessing JP voted for the final mix with less drums against AW's better judgement. unsure.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Sep 27 2011, 01:40 PM)

Everyone keeps saying Images And Words song structure. Yes there are some similarities like the part of Lost But Not Forgotten that has the breaks of Under A Glass Moon , but also shades of more recent albums like SC as well.

Overall the album sounds great and it works for me.

James is in peak form.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 28 2011, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Sep 27 2011, 12:40 PM)

aRE you saying the melodies are the same, or just a hint of the same pattern or concept?

I let my guitarist write most of the article. I added that I thought the drum mix is kinda weak and that I'm looking forward to hearing what they can do on their next studio effort when Mangini gets a chance to help compose. My guitarist mentioned MM is turned down in the mix. He also felt Jordan really dominated this one, maybe a little bit too much.

Thanks.

BTW, who was saying they need a producer? Andy Wallace assisted JP from what I understand. Between the two of them, however, I think their mix suffered from a lack of Mike Portnoy, or at least a drummer. I look at Andy's list of accomplishments and I'm wondering how he coulda let that slip by. I'm guessing JP voted for the final mix with less drums against AW's better judgement. unsure.gif

The patterns hint at songs from I&W.

I also agree with the drums being WAY too low in the mix. I'm much more used to the drums in DT being forced down my throat, as they've always been.

Looks like theyre strictly alternating two different setlists- one ending the main set with Outcry the other with Breaking all Illusions.

If the pattern continues, looks like we'll be getting Outcry in DC. Here's hoping they mix it up-- IMHO Breaking is the best song on the album...

Edited by greg2112

So, I've had a chance to listen to the new album a good few times through, and I think it's the best stuff they've done in years smile.gif There is really a renewed energy and vibe to it.... I had started to get a little burned out on DT, but this album has changed that. I'm f'ing loving it biggrin.gif Favorites include: "On the Backs of Angels," "Bridges in the Sky," "Breaking All Illusions," and "This is the Life." Pretty damn amazing if you ask me!! Amen to good music!

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Oct 2 2011, 02:12 AM)
So, I've had a chance to listen to the new album a good few times through, and I think it's the best stuff they've done in years smile.gif There is really a renewed energy and vibe to it.... I had started to get a little burned out on DT, but this album has changed that. I'm f'ing loving it biggrin.gif Favorites include: "On the Backs of Angels," "Bridges in the Sky," "Breaking All Illusions," and "This is the Life." Pretty damn amazing if you ask me!! Amen to good music!

Good to see you around!!! bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Oct 3 2011, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Oct 2 2011, 02:12 AM)
So, I've had a chance to listen to the new album a good few times through, and I think it's the best stuff they've done in years smile.gif There is really a renewed energy and vibe to it.... I had started to get a little burned out on DT, but this album has changed that. I'm f'ing loving it  biggrin.gif  Favorites include: "On the Backs of Angels," "Bridges in the Sky," "Breaking All Illusions," and "This is the Life." Pretty damn amazing if you ask me!! Amen to good music!

Good to see you around!!! bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif

Haha, thanks! I sure wish I had more time on my hands these days to chit-chat here on the forum. I'm back in school and stay pretty busy. Anyway, I'm not going anywhere!! smile.gif

My review of the 10/3 Royal Oak Theatre show:

MM was amazing. Great drum solo. They seem to have something missing, or maybe they're getting old, but it's not the same Dream Theater as the IAW lineup. I don't want to say anything too negative. Great show, but didn't play very many songs I wanted to hear. Under a Glass Moon was a great encore song, but the set seemed incredibly short. I was hoping for a 5-song encore, but UAGM was the end of it...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/dtdarksmaller.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/kenamay/dtshirtstand.jpg

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 5 2011, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Hear Again @ Oct 2 2011, 09:49 AM)
Anybody notice who recorded & mixed the vocals for the new album and where?

Take Care

Andy Wallace. Don't know where. Who cares where?

It sounds like they mixed the drums under a wet blanket laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 5 2011, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 5 2011, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Hear Again @ Oct 2 2011, 09:49 AM)
Anybody notice who recorded & mixed the vocals for the new album and where?

Take Care

Andy Wallace. Don't know where. Who cares where?

It sounds like they mixed the drums under a wet blanket laugh.gif

No Doubt, Metaldad! Andy needed to turn on the BBE Sonic Maximizer!~ wink.gif

Anyone up for DT in NYC? Metaldad and I will be there next Wednesday. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 5 2011, 06:54 PM)
Anyone up for DT in NYC? Metaldad and I will be there next Wednesday. atickhum.gif

Dude,

If I had enough vacation time left I'd be there in a heartbeat. Try to take better pics than I did. Once security caught wind of what I was trying to do they were all over me for the rest of the night.

Have fun, gentlemen!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 5 2011, 06:54 PM)

Just a side note: my former basssist and keyboardist attended the NYC show for the score video and had a blast! New York is an exciting place. Should be a fun time. Wish I could go...