Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

ohmy.gif 1022.gif

I believe a change of underwear is in order.

This is too much for words wub.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Mar 14 2009, 04:48 PM)
I'm finally acquiring the Score DVD today biggrin.gif

Cant wait to watch it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Prepare to be awed ! Its stinkin awesome ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 14 2009, 06:09 PM)

IT WAS 1022.gif

I think its my favorite of the 3 DVDs yes.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Mar 14 2009, 09:07 PM)

IT WAS 1022.gif

Its my favorite one.

I know of more then 3. which 3 are you reffering to ?

I own...

1.Scenes From New York

2.Live At Budocan

3.Score

4.Chaos In Motion

Score is great in every way. Great set list. Great sound quality. Dynamic performance.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 14 2009, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Mar 14 2009, 09:07 PM)

IT WAS 1022.gif

Its my favorite one.

I know of more then 3. which 3 are you reffering to ?

I own...

1.Scenes From New York

2.Live At Budocan

3.Score

4.Chaos In Motion

Score is great in every way. Great set list. Great sound quality. Dynamic performance.

oops... i meant the 3 that i have laugh.gif

Score

Chaos In Motion

Budokan

They are all great though 1022.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Mar 15 2009, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 15 2009, 02:41 AM)
Congrats on the Score pickup!

Did you already have the CD version?

no.gif

it is great as well.. It is cool to have your windows down in your car and play 6DOIT with the orchrestra as loud as you can!

I posted the new news that Portnoy mentioned on his appearance on Eddie Trunk on the Boneyard tonight in the BC&SL thread.

Non-album stuff mentioned on the show is that we are getting another YTSEJAM cover album...

Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 16 2009, 08:38 PM)
I posted the new news that Portnoy mentioned on his appearance on Eddie Trunk on the Boneyard tonight in the BC&SL thread.

Non-album stuff mentioned on the show is that we are getting another YTSEJAM cover album...

Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell

CORRECTION

It's not a full album cover.. It is several different covers.. Heaven and Hell is just a song on the cover album. Other Bands will be covered on it as well.

Here is the interview that Portnoy did on the Eddie Trunk show... very good.. alot of new album info (I posted in the BC&SL thread). They talk about the Prog Nation tour, the aformentioned Cover album, and general music talk as well...

Enjoy!

http://files.filefront.com/mp+on+trunk+sho...;/fileinfo.html

Signature change in preperation for the new album ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 8 2005, 03:52 PM)
Heh, another Dream Theatre thread.... ok.

I have bashed them before, and it has nothing to do with thier similarities to Rush. In fact, the first DT recording I ever heard were some live bootlegs of them doing Rush songs, and I thought they did a rather good job at it. The problem I have with DT really came from when I saw thier live performance. The music they were churning sounded ok, but you could see by the band members body language that they looked like they didnt want to be anywhere near that stage that night. I recall the singer simply walking around the stage in the same manner that you would expect someone to walk around if they were waiting at a bus stop. The only member that really seemed into the music was the keyboard player. That made it fairly difficult to get anything out of the music.

Then there was one point in the show that they gave a 3 minute intro to one of their songs, I could have sworn that was the intro to Xanadu and that we were all going to get a major treat for a Rush cover that night. But I was wrong, they went into something else, which was kind of a disappointment. Why give the intro to one thing and make everyone expect one thing to come up, and then play something else entirely?

And as much as I have tried, I cant derive any emotional meaning out of thier music, which is what really turns me on about some progressive music. The way that not only are the band members accomplished musicians, but they still have the ability to strike your soul. The only impression I got from DT is that they were a band full of Joe Satriani's or Yngwie Malmsteen's.

---

Sorry to be the basher here, but I have valid reason why I am not a DT fan. The reason why there are so many people bashing this band on this forum is because as a Rush fan, you get told by DT fans that you are SUPPOSED to like them, because they are so similar. It's almost a given that any DT fan is a Rush fan, but the majorit of DT fans that I have met think it should be the other way around as well, I dont buy into that.

Also, if you are a good drummer, have some modesty. Peart doesnt walk around comparing himself to Buddy Rich, what makes Portnoy feel he should be the one comparing himself to Peart?

I was reading the archives of this beloved thread, and this post may be the dumbest Post I have ever read. yes.gif

I haven't read through the recent posts in a while...but I wanted to mention that there is quite a lot of speculation regarding the "covers" cd that will come with the deluxe package. Portnoy seems to dig everyone trying to guess...but thinks that the songs are too obscure for the guesses to be correct. I'm really looking forward to this part of the package. I'm not nornally a "cover" guy, but I love DT covers for some reason. This will be cool.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 18 2009, 10:34 PM)

I have bashed them before, and it has nothing to do with thier similarities to Rush.  In fact, the first DT recording I ever heard were some live bootlegs of them doing Rush songs, and I thought they did a rather good job at it.  The problem I have with DT really came from when I saw thier live performance.  The music they were churning sounded ok, but you could see by the band members body language that they looked like they didnt want to be anywhere near that stage that night.  I recall the singer simply walking around the stage in the same manner that you would expect someone to walk around if they were waiting at a bus stop.  The only member that really seemed into the music was the keyboard player.  That made it fairly difficult to get anything out of the music.

Then there was one point in the show that they gave a 3 minute intro to one of their songs, I could have sworn that was the intro to Xanadu and that we were all going to get a major treat for a Rush cover that night.  But I was wrong, they went into something else, which was kind of a disappointment.  Why give the intro to one thing and make everyone expect one thing to come up, and then play something else entirely? 

And as much as I have tried, I cant derive any emotional meaning out of thier music, which is what really turns me on about some progressive music.  The way that not only are the band members accomplished musicians, but they still have the ability to strike your soul.  The only impression I got from DT is that they were a band full of Joe Satriani's or Yngwie Malmsteen's.

---

Sorry to be the basher here, but I have valid reason why I am not a DT fan.  The reason why there are so many people bashing this band on this forum is because as a Rush fan, you get told by DT fans that you are SUPPOSED to like them, because they are so similar.  It's almost a given that any DT fan is a Rush fan, but the majorit of DT fans that I have met think it should be the other way around as well, I dont buy into that.

Also, if you are a good drummer, have some modesty.  Peart doesnt walk around comparing himself to Buddy Rich, what makes Portnoy feel he should be the one comparing himself to Peart?

I was reading the archives of this beloved thread, and this post may be the dumbest Post I have ever read. yes.gif

nice find , what an assmunch . i think the last line is real funny. when the hell did portnoy compare himself to neil. i have read almost every interview portnoy has done[ in drum mag's] since pull me under was on m.t.v. all he ever has said was he GET'S compared the most to neil, he is not comparing himself . this jackass clearly feels the need to give people a reason to bash the band . like so many other people, if you don't like a band why do keep talking about them. children will be children

1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 18 2009, 09:34 PM)

I have bashed them before, and it has nothing to do with thier similarities to Rush.  In fact, the first DT recording I ever heard were some live bootlegs of them doing Rush songs, and I thought they did a rather good job at it.  The problem I have with DT really came from when I saw thier live performance.  The music they were churning sounded ok, but you could see by the band members body language that they looked like they didnt want to be anywhere near that stage that night.  I recall the singer simply walking around the stage in the same manner that you would expect someone to walk around if they were waiting at a bus stop.  The only member that really seemed into the music was the keyboard player.  That made it fairly difficult to get anything out of the music.

Then there was one point in the show that they gave a 3 minute intro to one of their songs, I could have sworn that was the intro to Xanadu and that we were all going to get a major treat for a Rush cover that night.  But I was wrong, they went into something else, which was kind of a disappointment.  Why give the intro to one thing and make everyone expect one thing to come up, and then play something else entirely? 

And as much as I have tried, I cant derive any emotional meaning out of thier music, which is what really turns me on about some progressive music.  The way that not only are the band members accomplished musicians, but they still have the ability to strike your soul.  The only impression I got from DT is that they were a band full of Joe Satriani's or Yngwie Malmsteen's.

---

Sorry to be the basher here, but I have valid reason why I am not a DT fan.  The reason why there are so many people bashing this band on this forum is because as a Rush fan, you get told by DT fans that you are SUPPOSED to like them, because they are so similar.  It's almost a given that any DT fan is a Rush fan, but the majorit of DT fans that I have met think it should be the other way around as well, I dont buy into that.

Also, if you are a good drummer, have some modesty.  Peart doesnt walk around comparing himself to Buddy Rich, what makes Portnoy feel he should be the one comparing himself to Peart?

Good find....2005...long before I was here.

DT bashing posts... they are fun to counterargue