Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 20 2008, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 20 2008, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 19 2008, 03:30 PM)
But i do, think it's pretty cool that Mike Portnoy reads this board.

Hey Mikey if you do read this, you're a tit, quit with all that gobbing will ya?

Old Dream Theatre Good, New Dream Theatre Bad.

sarcasm.gif

I like Mike. He's a music fan just like the rest of us. I don't know if he reads this...he's just been made aware that he's got some detractors here. He reads some forums, and when he's "attacked" he'll get on there sometimes. There was some drummer forum I saw that he posted on. It had something to do with his "cover bands." I like some of that stuff, and what I don't like...Mike doesn't make me buy, so it all works out pretty good for me.

Several updated over at Jordan's website in the past week, a little mention that he's been in the studio. A gig he's doing in Poland, and playing with his nano synths. Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Oct 20 2008, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 20 2008, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 20 2008, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 19 2008, 03:30 PM)
But i do, think it's pretty cool that Mike Portnoy reads this board.

Hey Mikey if you do read this, you're a tit, quit with all that gobbing will ya?

Old Dream Theatre Good, New Dream Theatre Bad.

sarcasm.gif

I like Mike. He's a music fan just like the rest of us. I don't know if he reads this...he's just been made aware that he's got some detractors here. He reads some forums, and when he's "attacked" he'll get on there sometimes. There was some drummer forum I saw that he posted on. It had something to do with his "cover bands." I like some of that stuff, and what I don't like...Mike doesn't make me buy, so it all works out pretty good for me.

portnoy gets attacked on his own site. i really dont think he will lose any sleep if he reads what some people say on this site 1022.gif

I sat down today and figured out my top 20 favourite bands and Dream Theater just made it at number 20! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Oct 24 2008, 12:23 AM)
I sat down today and figured out my top 20 favourite bands and Dream Theater just made it at number 20! laugh.gif

Was the criteria and process fair and balanced? Was King Crimson in its own category and not counted in the tally since it's the greatest thing to ever happen to music? laugh.gif

Ok, as someone who's new to DT I'm curious to hear some opinions from you guys. biggrin.gif Out of their latest 3 albums, Train of Thought, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos, which do you think is best? Or maybe the best for a newbie? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Oct 24 2008, 11:26 PM)
Ok, as someone who's new to DT I'm curious to hear some opinions from you guys. biggrin.gif Out of their latest 3 albums, Train of Thought, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos, which do you think is best? Or maybe the best for a newbie? laugh.gif

If you are more of a metalhead than a proghead...Id go with Train of Thought..

If you are more of a proghead (as I am) i'd go with Octavarium.....It is very epic!!

but nothing wrong with getting all 3, all are very good.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Oct 25 2008, 12:26 AM)

Systematic Chaos is my favorite outta the three trink39.gif

I'd say I'm more of a proghead so Octavarium sounds good. cool.gif I'll definitely have all 3 eventually but I don't want to start out on the wrong foot.....next time I'm in Best Buy I'll prolly snag it. yes.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 26 2008, 04:36 AM)
So what do you think the next album will be like, metal or prog? of both like on 6DOIT?

i think so. i think def a little heavier this time 1022.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 25 2008, 12:42 AM)
Ok, as someone who's new to DT I'm curious to hear some opinions from you guys.  biggrin.gif  Out of their latest 3 albums, Train of Thought, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos, which do you think is best?  Or maybe the best for a newbie?  laugh.gif

I would agree with that. Chaos is among there best efforts, in my opinion.

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 27 2008, 09:11 AM)
Ok, as someone who's new to DT I'm curious to hear some opinions from you guys.  biggrin.gif  Out of their latest 3 albums, Train of Thought, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos, which do you think is best?  Or maybe the best for a newbie?  laugh.gif

Octavarium > Systematic Chaos

But I must stress once again I AM speaking AS A proghead

eh, im not a huge DT fan, i dont get into much prog-metal... i like some DT songs here & there, like "Pull Me Under" and "Caught in a Web", but i'm just not that big on them

a prog-metal band I do really like is Watchtower, they were the first prog-metal band ever

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 27 2008, 03:14 PM)

I agree, but I'd go further to say:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence > TOT > Octavarium > Systematic Chaos

To be honest, though, Octavarium and TOT are interchangeable. I really like them both.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 27 2008, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 27 2008, 03:14 PM)

I agree, but I'd go further to say:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence > TOT > Octavarium > Systematic Chaos

To be honest, though, Octavarium and TOT are interchangeable. I really like them both.

all are all 9/10s

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Oct 24 2008, 11:26 PM)

It all depends, like peeps said. This is the way I interpret the last three: Train is pretty heavy, more straightforward, Octavarium is progged-out, and Systematic is kind of a mix of both album's styles.

I hope this helps your decision.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 27 2008, 05:14 PM)

Besides the title track, "Octavarium" I believe Chaos is a far more progressive album. Octavarium is more staight forward rock then prog, imo.