The Speed Of Love

kooma

smile.gif It's not my favourite from COUNTERPARTS but I don't dislike it either. Its a little slow granted. 2.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 2 2006, 07:26 PM)
Point taken, but what about the lyrics?? eh.gif

smile.gif I have absolutely no problem with any of Neil's lyrics no.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (different strings @ Feb 2 2006, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 2 2006, 07:26 PM)
Point taken, but what about the lyrics?? eh.gif

smile.gif I have absolutely no problem with any of Neil's lyrics no.gif 2.gif

I have no problems with Neil's lyrics, but what is this song really about? doh.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Feb 2 2006, 03:00 PM)
It's better than "You Bet Your Life."

Again, nag, nag doh.gif what is it about?? Just a simple love song or not?? b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 3 2006, 03:12 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Feb 2 2006, 03:00 PM)
It's better than "You Bet Your Life."

Again, nag, nag doh.gif what is it about?? Just a simple love song or not?? b_sigh.gif

The title would seem to be a clever twist on a common phrase"the speed of light".As far as being a simple love song,I would say yes,relative to Rush songs, a simple love song.

To follow up on clearingsky's comment regarding the title being a clever twist on the speed of light: Neil is drawing an analogy between the physical properties of light - which can be measured, quantified, and whose behavior can be predicted - and the physical properties of love.

As with most any work of poetry, there is rarely a single layer of meaning to the words of Neil's songs.

Love is born with lightning bolts

Electro-magnetic force

Even though it is a completely natural occurrence, a component of our biology, there is no reason to regard love with any less wonder. The fact that a lightning storm is a perfectly common and understable phenomenon of stmospheric electric discharge makes it no less an awe-inspiring sight.

Sounds like a good old fashioned tale that love hits you when it hits you. Aint no 2.gif ing it.

Great song off a fantastic album.

QUOTE (plodder @ Feb 3 2006, 10:03 AM)
Sounds like a good old fashioned tale that love hits you when it hits you. Aint no 2.gif ing it.

Great song off a fantastic album.

That's right when it hits you, it hits you. There is nothing you can do about it. Real, true love just takes you over, you don't have a choice in the matter. Neil even put in there: "Like a force of nature".

When you meet that "one perfect person" that's it, you're done. It isn't something you can make a logical, rational decision about. It just happens, & it knocks you for a loop. Just come out of nowhere.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Just for the record, I don't think 2.gif has any bad songs. I never skip a song on any cd. tongue.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (kooma @ Jan 31 2006, 08:06 PM)
Is The Speed Of Love just another Rush love song, or is there more to it?? unsure.gif

There's always more to it... like improving your post count biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 2 2006, 06:03 AM)
I have no problems with Neil's lyrics, but what is this song really about? doh.gif

As I understand it, it's about the shifting, changing, unpredictable nature of love.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Feb 3 2006, 09:10 AM)
To follow up on clearingsky's comment regarding the title being a clever twist on the speed of light: Neil is drawing an analogy between the physical properties of light - which can be measured, quantified, and whose behavior can be predicted - and the physical properties of love.

As with most any work of poetry, there is rarely a single layer of meaning to the words of Neil's songs.

Love is born with lightning bolts
Electro-magnetic force

Even though it is a completely natural occurrence, a component of our biology, there is no reason to regard love with any less wonder. The fact that a lightning storm is a perfectly common and understable phenomenon of stmospheric electric discharge makes it no less an awe-inspiring sight.

Very lucid interpretation. I like it.

The song, however is quite weak, IMO. Ironically, I believe it is one of Neil's favs on that album.

• Like 1

Listening to this song right now. I think it's wonderful. The guitars are ethereal, drums very well worked, and Geddy does some real nice grooves when not (precisely) following the sustainment of the song. Love the vocal work too. I can't really understand people not liking it, Neil's take on love in a beautiful way!
  • Like 2

Found the track a little monotonous at first, one of two i tended to skip on an otherwise great album, the other being nobodys hero Two or three years ago began listening to it again and of course now one of my favs, agree with above post the guitars ethereal

After presto and roll the bones, which were great albums but kind of light on the power button, counterparts was such a shot in the arm what a great great album

Good days

• Like 1