Neck size and shape

ES-335

Quirky topic:

I see all these guitars listed with the shape and size of the neck and board ... I have never paid attention to this. I have always had no problem switching between my classical with the wide neck and an electric ... and I have yet to pay too much attention to any differences in electrics either.

Is it important to any of you?

I can't play Fender Strats, the neck just doesn't feel right. I'm fine with classical, acoustic, my Washburn Mercury II. But I'll never own a Strat. The position of the volume knob on the Strat is also very inconvenient. And I need lower action.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 23 2006, 08:07 AM)
Quirky topic:

I see all these guitars listed with the shape and size of the neck and board ... I have never paid attention to this. I have always had no problem switching between my classical with the wide neck and an electric ... and I have yet to pay too much attention to any differences in electrics either.

Is it important to any of you?

I played so many guitars and owned a ton of different kinds. It makes a little difference to me, not all that much. I really love the feel of my Gibson SG a lot and that's probably why I had it a lot longer than I kept any of my other guitars.

When I was playing gigs I kept an old acoustic guitar with a really wide neck backstage and I would warm up on it for a few minutes before I went out and played. I guess just to stretch my fingers out a bit.

But the size of the neck was never a huge concern to me. The way it felt and played was what mattered the most to me. I played some guitars with wide necks that played great, the same with thinner necks. Either way, I always got used to a certain guitar pretty quick after I played it a couple days.

I never cared what size the neck was but I guess if it's a guitar on ebay or something, and the person couldn't play it before they bought it, then I guess it's better for the seller to give as much information that they can in case someone is looking for a certain guitar or something like that. I never went in a music store and the salesman tell me " This one has a size 15 wide sized neck, very good for rock or country music, I have 2 of them myself, I love them"......

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 23 2006, 08:26 PM)
Cyg ... 1001 ... etc ... chime in if you have a moment.

What....Don't want MY opinion? angry.gif

laugh.gif

I, like indy, don't have too much trouble getting used to a different neck size, although for leads I do prefer thinner and flatter necks.

The Fender Strat is a great feel for chording to me, just feels more natural, but Jackson, Ibanez, I find these necks much more comfortable to do leads on.

I do also prefer a longer radius , but, again, not really, really picky about that.

I don't care for Gibson guitars because the Les Pauls are too heavy, and the 335's look too big for me.

Playing though? In a room by myself so I don't look like I'm 12 years old playing a grown up's guitar?

My dad has a kickass 335 that plays like a dream....can't fault the feel of a 335 neck.

So yeah, I have a preference, but I would still play if the damn things were a foot thick and 8 inches wide.....

cool.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Jan 23 2006, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 23 2006, 08:26 PM)
Cyg ... 1001 ... etc ... chime in if you have a moment.

What....Don't want MY opinion? angry.gif

laugh.gif

I, like indy, don't have too much trouble getting used to a different neck size, although for leads I do prefer thinner and flatter necks.

The Fender Strat is a great feel for chording to me, just feels more natural, but Jackson, Ibanez, I find these necks much more comfortable to do leads on.

I do also prefer a longer radius , but, again, not really, really picky about that.

I don't care for Gibson guitars because the Les Pauls are too heavy, and the 335's look too big for me.

Playing though? In a room by myself so I don't look like I'm 12 years old playing a grown up's guitar?

My dad has a kickass 335 that plays like a dream....can't fault the feel of a 335 neck.

So yeah, I have a preference, but I would still play if the damn things were a foot thick and 8 inches wide.....

cool.gif

I don't think I explained myself ... for example .. c or v or d shaped neck profiles ... or width at the nut ... 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" etc ... or shape of the fingerboard ... most models have variances within their production, for example, the Strat comes in several widths and thicknesses.

another example, I see in ads for ES-335s that say how rare a wide neck is ... so I thought I would see if it matters to anyone else.

I see that so far, it makes little difference smile.gif

I used to have an issue with Strat necks, until my hands got bigger and I bought one. The fretboards used to feel too wide for the neck and the scale a bit too long. Kramers were far worse for this. They were like playing a plank.

Gibsons always felt good to me. Meaty but not too much so. They are also more consistent than many other brands.

For bass I prefer J bass necks to P bass necks because of the narrow feel at the nut. I used to play my dad's P that would irritate the knuckle of my index finger that meets the top of my palm. Now it's not so bad. Basses with more than 4 strings are often uncomfortable (and unnecessary). As much as I like my Ric it is bit too thick at the nut, but still plenty playable.

For me there has to be a good proportion of fretboard width to neck depth and curve. Something too sharp at any point is unpleasant for me. Fender had some Strat necks in the 80s and 90s that were really beefy and others that were sharp and thin.

I guess given the criteria given above I prefer more of a C. My hands are thin. Something with too harsh of an angle is irritating.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 23 2006, 10:00 PM)
I used to have an issue with Strat necks, until my hands got bigger and I bought one. The fretboards used to feel too wide for the neck and the scale a bit too long. Kramers were far worse for this. They were like playing a plank.

Gibsons always felt good to me. Meaty but not too much so. They are also more consistent than many other brands.

For bass I prefer J bass necks to P bass necks because of the narrow feel at the nut. I used to play my dad's P that would irritate the knuckle of my index finger that meets the top of my palm. Now it's not so bad. Basses with more than 4 strings are often uncomfortable (and unnecessary). As much as I like my Ric it is bit too thick at the nut, but still plenty playable.

For me there has to be a good proportion of fretboard width to neck depth and curve. Something too sharp at any point is unpleasant for me. Fender had some Strat necks in the 80s and 90s that were really beefy and others that were sharp and thin.

I guess given the criteria given above I prefer more of a C. My hands are thin. Something with too harsh of an angle is irritating.

funny you mention the rik having a thick neck at the nut ... I thought mine was quite thin at the neck, but I was playing a p bass before that one ... and I have not played a rik in about 17 years ... but am looking fo another one now.

oH.

Nevermind then.

laugh.gif

None of that crap ever mattered to me.

I can tell no sooner than I grab it if it's right for me, that's all the measurement I need.

Couldn't say one way or the other by reading the specs.

trink39.gif

On bass, I grew up playing an aluminum neck Kramer, so when I went to an Ibanez 5 string, i really liked the thin neck, even though it ws wider top to bottom.

Bunch lighter, too. tongue.gif