Steve Martin to host SNL

DonnaWanna

Steve Martin, who's hosted ``Saturday Night Live'' more than anyone else, will add to his record next month.

Martin, who last hosted the show in September 1994, will take his 14th turn as frontman for the venerable NBC comedy show on Feb. 4. He'll be joined by musical guest Prince, who'll be making his second appearance on the show -- almost 25 years after his first.

As so often happens, both host and musical guest have things to promote via their appearance. Martin is starring as Inspector Clouseau in a remake of ``The Pink Panther'' due for release the week after his ``SNL'' gig, and Prince is set to release a new album, ``3121,'' in March.

Martin helped give ``Saturday Night Live'' its identity in the mid-1970s, teaming with Dan Aykroyd to create the Festrunk brothers, two ``wild and crazy guys'' from behind the Iron Curtain, and fronting the classic King Tut sketch, among many others. He has made uncredited cameos on the show a couple of times in recent years but hasn't stepped out to host in more than a decade.

Prince last appeared on ``SNL'' in February 1981, during his ``Little Red Corvette'' days. He has, of course, since gone on to become one of the more revered, and enigmatic, figures in pop music.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...nt/13664945.htm

Though Steve Martin has brought many great moments to SNL, I don't think he can save the show this time around. The show is mired in slump right now. Weekend Update will remain good as long as Tina Fey is in charge of it, but otherwise, it sucks right now.

So COOL!!! I love when THE JERK hosts SNL. I hope before the show dies, they get the remaining living original cast members together for another show. I'd love to see a new Weekend Update with Jane and Dan and a commentary with Chevy and Bill. How cool would that be?

King Tut (King Tut)

Now when he was a young man,

He never thought he�d see

People stand in line to see the boy king.

(King Tut) How�d you get so funky?

(funky Tut) Did you do the monkey?

Born in Arizona,

Moved to Babylonia (king Tut).

(king Tut) Now, if I�d known

they�d line up just to see you,

I�d trade in all my money

And bought me a museum. (king Tut)

Buried with a donkey (funky Tut)

He�s my favorite honkey!

Born in Arizona,

Moved to Babylonia (king Tut)

Dancin� by the Nile, (Disco Tut)

The ladies love his style, (waltzing Tut)

Rockin� for a mile (rockin� Tut)

He ate a crocodile.

He gave his life for tourism.

Golden idol!

He�s an Egyptian

They�re sellin� you.

Now, when I die,

don�t think I�m a nut,

don�t want no fancy funeral,

Just one like ole king Tut. (king Tut)

He coulda won a Grammy,

Buried in his Jammies,

Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia,

He was born in Arizona, lived in a condo made of stone-a,

King Tut!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 22 2006, 08:44 AM)
Though Steve Martin has brought many great moments to SNL, I don't think he can save the show this time around. The show is mired in slump right now. Weekend Update will remain good as long as Tina Fey is in charge of it, but otherwise, it sucks right now.

I still watch SNL even through it's slumps. I guess it's just a habit of mine. I've been watching since the Coneheads and Mr. Bill.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 23 2006, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 22 2006, 08:44 AM)
Though Steve Martin has brought many great moments to SNL, I don't think he can save the show this time around.  The show is mired in slump right now.  Weekend Update will remain good as long as Tina Fey is in charge of it, but otherwise, it sucks right now.

I still watch SNL even through it's slumps. I guess it's just a habit of mine. I've been watching since the Coneheads and Mr. Bill.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 22 2006, 12:44 PM)

Some of the newer featured players (I can't remember their names) look promising.

I've become a fan of just about ALL of the women - they outshine the men on talent big time.

However, I've become a big Horatio Sanz (sp) fan. That guy always gets me laughing.

There are a couple of the other guys who are pretty funny as well, but I'm horrible on the names.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 23 2006, 11:30 AM)
Though Steve Martin has brought many great moments to SNL, I don't think he can save the show this time around.  The show is mired in slump right now.  Weekend Update will remain good as long as Tina Fey is in charge of it, but otherwise, it sucks right now.

Some of the newer featured players (I can't remember their names) look promising.

Amy Poehler is a tremendous talent. Her Kelly Ripa is hilarious, as is her Sharon Osbourne. I thought Maya Rudolph was a tremendous talent, as well. She had a baby recently, and I wonder if she's going to be doing much on the show in the future. Darrell Hammond is also a great talent. He does some amazing impressions. Seth Myers does a great John Kerry imitation, but I don't see him doing much else that's funny. They've done some funny skits about the new Medicare recently. My wife especially likes them because she has to deal with the program at her job.

I do not like Horatio Sanz, though (sorry Pags). His skits always seem to go on for much too long. He does have some good moments, but sometimes it's painful to watch. I don't think his Elton John is particularly inspired, for example. Aside from him, the Falconer skit is terrible, and the Brian Fellows skit is not one of my favorites, either.

What's really missing is some good writing. I just don't find myself laughing like I used to.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 23 2006, 01:31 PM)

Amy Poehler is a tremendous talent. Her Kelly Ripa is hilarious, as is her Sharon Osbourne. I thought Maya Rudolph was a tremendous talent, as well. She had a baby recently, and I wonder if she's going to be doing much on the show in the future. Darrell Hammond is also a great talent. He does some amazing impressions. Seth Myers does a great John Kerry imitation, but I don't see him doing much else that's funny. They've done some funny skits about the new Medicare recently. My wife especially likes them because she has to deal with the program at her job.

I do not like Horatio Sanz, though (sorry Pags). His skits always seem to go on for much too long. He does have some good moments, but sometimes it's painful to watch. I don't think his Elton John is particularly inspired, for example. Aside from him, the Falconer skit is terrible, and the Brian Fellows skit is not one of my favorites, either.

What's really missing is some good writing. I just don't find myself laughing like I used to.

I took me quite a long time to warm up to Sanz. I didn't like him at first.

I was the same way with Will Ferrell (again sp). I could not stand him when he was a regular on the show. And now, I can't figure out for the life of me, why. If I ever catch any of this older skits or think back to just how far he'd go for a laugh... the guy is a major talent, and I've liked just about every movie he's been in so far.

I agree on the writing. Some of the skits are just awful and it must be very hard to go through it when your audience isn't laughing.

Still - I'm always tuning in.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 23 2006, 12:31 PM)

actually, I'm talking about the very new players. The ones that are just "featured" this year. One I recall did the vincent price imitation on a recent skit. The people you mentioned are not that new.

I have mixed feelings about horatio sanz. Personally, I find him hilarious, but I concur his skits do drag on. That is a function of the writing, not the comedy.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 23 2006, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 23 2006, 12:31 PM)

actually, I'm talking about the very new players. The ones that are just "featured" this year. One I recall did the vincent price imitation on a recent skit. The people you mentioned are not that new.

I have mixed feelings about horatio sanz. Personally, I find him hilarious, but I concur his skits do drag on. That is a function of the writing, not the comedy.

I admit I haven't seen much of the new talent yet. Hopefully they can pick up the show in the future, if not now.

Not a bad show tonight. The opening sketch was very funny. Also, Maya Rudolph returned to the show tonight. She did a great job with the Oprah sketch. I think she will provide this show with a shot in the arm it so desperately needs.

Unfortunately, a lot of the writing in the other skits was still subpar.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 5 2006, 12:36 AM)
Not a bad show tonight. The opening sketch was very funny. Also, Maya Rudolph returned to the show tonight. She did a great job with the Oprah sketch. I think she will provide this show with a shot in the arm it so desperately needs.

Unfortunately, a lot of the writing in the other skits was still subpar.

Agreed. So awesome to see Maya Rudolph on the show tonight.

LOVE the fact they did the Prince skit while he was the guest artist. He should have been in on it.

QUOTE (furie @ Feb 5 2006, 01:11 AM)
prince was great, but steve martin.......i don't know. he just wasn't all that funny. i don't know if it was him or the writers.

A little of both, probably. He appeared to be reading in some of the skits.

Prince is a great musician. I personally don't care for his music and have never bought anything he has produced, but there is no denying talent when one sees it. I recall he also plays numerous other instruments with some degree of proficiency.

Hey all, back from the dead for a bit..

Was looking forward to this show, been a fan of Steve's for quite awhile.

But honestly, I was dissappointed. The first sketch was the only one that held any water for me. It was all downhill for there.

The highlight was ironically seeing Prince perform. Man was he good. I don't buy his stuff but that was a good song.

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 5 2006, 05:35 PM)

But honestly, I was dissappointed. The first sketch was the only one that held any water for me. It was all downhill for there.

The highlight was ironically seeing Prince perform. Man was he good. I don't buy his stuff but that was a good song.

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

Good to see you, Schro. trink39.gif

Agreed - the show was a bit of a let down. Steve's the best, but what is he supposed to do with terribly written skits? Prince.... was awesome.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 5 2006, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 5 2006, 05:35 PM)

But honestly, I was dissappointed.  The first sketch was the only one that held any water for me.  It was all downhill for there.

The highlight was ironically seeing Prince perform.  Man was he good.  I don't buy his stuff but that was a good song.

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

Good to see you, Schro. trink39.gif

Agreed - the show was a bit of a let down. Steve's the best, but what is he supposed to do with terribly written skits? Prince.... was awesome.

Yea ... nice to see ya schro! !!

I thought the Superbowl skit was funny ...

Concerning Prince, I guess I am in the minority here. I have been a fan since the early 80s when the local college station played him. He IS a great musician and can play many instuments to a world class degree, in fact, he played all the intruments on his first album and on many of his hits. His bands were mainly just for live perfomances and were nothing short of of characters in the prince show. Concerning his guitar playing, he has been doing that since the begining, he is a great guitarist ... a natural who has some rock roots too.

If you get a chance to catch a show ... do it.