Does anyone else like Dog Years?

KenJennings

yes.gif I like it also ,didn't Neal had a hangover when he wrote this?

Read that somewhere maybe from contents under pressure.

I like the music to the song. But the lyrics are kind of corney but that's ok, I don't listen to lyrics in a lot of songs anyway. I know some other people that really love this song so know that you aren't alone when you say you like it a lot.

Compared to most other Rush songs this is one of my least favorites but it doesn't matter what I think, as long as you like it, that's all that matters. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

biggrin.gif Hi I don't personally like the song for both it's musical content and lyrical content but hey, I agree with Indica we cant all like every song even if it is 2.gif

Yes, the lyrics are very corny. Gotta wonder how much of The MacAllan Neil had drank the night before writing this. I've never really liked the music much either, but that's because I usually find upbeat music to be irritating. Give me music that hits on base emotions like sadness or anger and I'm hooked. Dog Years, unfortunately, is too coy to be liked by me.

I think I've probably pushed Dog Years more than most in this Forum. I've got post after post talking up about it, including this week. I think it's a great song, and you can sign me up on any pro Dog Years / Test For Echo support group you need me on.

I'll always go to bat for it. yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 18 2006, 10:27 AM)
No. Period. No. No. No. No. No. No. no.gif

Sorry, Pags. But, no.

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

laugh.gif You're funny.

No need to be sorry. I don't need you liking it in order to enjoy it for myself. I can totally get why people don't like this song, and that's fine.

I didn't like it either when I first heard it. I liked the lyric in the bridge, immediately - but that was it. Something changed when I watched Neil's video, and I've loved the song ever since.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 18 2006, 09:36 AM)
I don't need you liking it in order to enjoy it for myself.

laugh.gif

Why do I get the feeling you said, "So there!" and stuck your tongue out at me when you wrote that?

I'm listening to it right now....

no.gif

Ahhhhgggg. He just said, "bitch," and that dumb, "tail between his ears," thing. sad.gif

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 18 2006, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 18 2006, 09:36 AM)
I don't need you liking it in order to enjoy it for myself.

laugh.gif

Why do I get the feeling you said, "So there!" and stuck your tongue out at me when you wrote that?

I'm listening to it right now....

no.gif

Ahhhhgggg. He just said, "bitch," and that dumb, "tail between his ears," thing. sad.gif

tongue.gif rofl3.gif

I love Dog Years. I think the lyrics are "clever" not corny.. So maybe Neil was drunk when he put this together, but a drunk Neil is much more artistic than most.

Also, the song has enough musical breaks and rhythms to be quite enjoyable.

I also like Virtuality and Resist, but then again I am a 2.gif homer...

The song on T4E I don't care for is Carve away the stone... 062802puke_prv.gif

LIke others, I like the music, but the lyrics are really cringeworthy.

In fact, I suspect Neil set out to write the worst song possible as

a. an experiment

b. a filler

c. amusement

d. he was in a bad mood!

I am quite sure he could have written more thought provoking lyrics about dogs.

I agree 100% with Margana and others - Great music, very dodgy lyrics. I think what makes the lyrics worse for me (and the same principle holds for Nobody's Hero) is that while the message is worthwhile, the lyrics are so clunky that they detract from rather than add to what the song is intended to say.

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time

Careful Neil, you might get what you wish for!!!!!!!!!!

A thousand years have come and gone

But time has passed me by

Stars stopped in the sky

Frozen in an everlasting view

Waiting for the world to end

Weary of the night

Praying for the light

Prison of the lost - Xanadu

well for a while Rush was the only band I liked...I'd listen to rush cd after rush CD.....but now I only listen to them when I have my entire library on shuffle.....and I DONT skip dog years when it comes up....I am guilty of skipping Cygnus X-1 and Tom Sawyer.....

I think the problem here resides not in the quality of the music....but a psychopathic need I have to be different.....Rush was a band nobody listened too so I got into them cus they were MY band....and then I found this place....and Dog Years and Vapor Trails are stuff that most people don't like.....but I do...I think they're great....