Rush Tribute Bands

holdyoufire

Try this link...

http://dreamwater.org/art/gtr/tribalpha.htm

Not sure if all of these bands are still together or not, but it was the first link to come up on Google. I've only ever seen one Rush tribute band... 2112, based out of NY or NJ. They were quite good, but they only played material up to and including Signals. This was back before T4E was released. They were also a 3-piece band, as opposed to some of the 4- and 5-piece Rush tribute bands out there.

Wow! I came across this 10-year-old post tonight. I replied to this back in 2005 and now I actually play in a Rush tribute band called Solar Federation. If anyone is around Central PA, come check us out! Edited by Ffej Sector A
  • Like 1

I remember watching a good one called Caress of Steel in Southern California. They opened for a Van Halen tribute band called The Atomic Punks and the drummer played in both. The singer of the Atomic Punks was jealous or something and kept making fun of Rush directing it to the drummer. It was...odd. The Rush band was really impressive. If you play in a Rush tribute band and can nail La Villa Strangiato you have some chops

There's a Rush tribute band, who I believe are still around, from the Philly area called Afterimage. I saw them several years ago and they were quite good.

They were the last Rush tribute I saw a few years back in Newtown. I liked them a lot but haven't heard from them since then. I'd go see them again for sure.

Ahem... shameless plug... cough....

krushtributeband.com

We're playing in Delaware on December 5th! Full 3+ hour show. ;)

Kenny, it is not a "shameless" plug you made... it's a very worthy one. Your tribute band is excellent. There are two Rush tribute bands that stand out from the rest in my opinion - KRush (Kenny's band) and Lotus Land. Both of these bands are unreal. The amount of rehearsal, attention to detail and MONEY these bands spend must be insane.
  • Like 2

A have a serious question for you guys in RUSH tribute bands, and this might come across kind of douchey but it's not meant that way:

You obviously have the chops to play complex stuff, and are influenced by one of the world's greatest bands. To both points I gotta' tip my hat to you.

But I mean doesn't it kind of suck to get famous (or semi famous, or whatever) emulating another band? I mean you could make up a ton of original music I'd bet, no doubt about it.

And then possibly RUSH fans like myself could listen to you and be wowed that 'hey, this sort of sounds like RUSH cool!' without it actually being their songs. And BOOM there you go, fans that like you guys for the stuff you wrote yourself, for yourself.

If you know what I mean. Again, not trying to crap on anybody parade I just don't get how all these awesome musicians aren't out there blazing their own trail instead of riding on the coattails of the mighty three.

LotusLand is the best Rush tribute band, Ever. Period.

For what they do, without a doubt. The singer is basically 70's era Geddy for both bass playing and vocals.

LotusLand is the best Rush tribute band, Ever. Period.

For what they do, without a doubt. The singer is basically 70's era Geddy for both bass playing and vocals.

Does that mean they don't touch anything after Moving Pictures?

A have a serious question for you guys in RUSH tribute bands, and this might come across kind of douchey but it's not meant that way:

You obviously have the chops to play complex stuff, and are influenced by one of the world's greatest bands. To both points I gotta' tip my hat to you.

But I mean doesn't it kind of suck to get famous (or semi famous, or whatever) emulating another band? I mean you could make up a ton of original music I'd bet, no doubt about it.

And then possibly RUSH fans like myself could listen to you and be wowed that 'hey, this sort of sounds like RUSH cool!' without it actually being their songs. And BOOM there you go, fans that like you guys for the stuff you wrote yourself, for yourself.

If you know what I mean. Again, not trying to crap on anybody parade I just don't get how all these awesome musicians aren't out there blazing their own trail instead of riding on the coattails of the mighty three.

Most (if not all) musicians playing in Rush tribute or cover bands play or have played in original bands, myself included. For me (age 41), it's not about gaining notoriety or getting famous or riding coattails, it's about the joy of performing Rush's music. Speaking for myself, I get great satisfaction writing, arranging and performing original material with my band; on the other hand, I love Rush's music so much (they are my favorite band of all time), that putting in the time to learn Neil's drum parts accurately is worthwhile to me. To be able to actually play Rush's music competently with other musicians (or along with my iPod) is just a rewarding to me as listening to Rush or seeing them in concert. Most musicians (if not all) who play Rush are incredibly passionate about music and just love playing... as long as the music is pure and meaningful.
  • Like 1