"O Baterista" or "Der Trommler"

schoey

Whioh is better?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Whioh is better?

• O Baterista
    • Der Trommler

I'd vote neither. Honestly, I'd like to see Neil shorten it up a bit by cutting out some of the same stuff he's been doing since the mid- seventies. Keep the more rhythmic stuff, and maybe add more musical accompaniment, like that swing arrangement.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 20 2006, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Vicious @ Jan 30 2006, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 27 2005, 09:27 PM)
damn that's a hard decision  unsure.gif
Neil's a badass anyway, but i went with Der Trommler cause of the keyboard stuff from "Pieces of Eight" That melody is so cool!

Pieces of Eight? Enlighten me, please wink.gif

A solo recorded by Neil which incorporates a lot of use of the midi-marimba.

It's also an album by Styx.

Included in a Modern Drummer magazine "flexidisc" (who remembers those?)

http://www.2112.net/artifacts/volume1/track8/8.html

I also remember a contest he held, and the winners entries were on a flexidic too, I think....

Agh... so difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fists crying.gif

1022.gif I picked Der Trommler because it rules in play count AND it rocks.. O'Baterista was awesome too! 1022.gif

I was just watching Rush in Rio today and I got to O'Baterista and now I am starting to understand how all of you guys voted for it. laugh.gif But you still have to admit that Der Trommler was a good solo too. cool.gif

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Jan 20 2007, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Dec 30 2005, 10:00 PM)
I had to go with Der Trommler. I liked with him starting on the electric side.

Me too.

Yh i have to agree with tht, i like how der tromler eases in with the electric side at the beggining, then Neil smashes in with the acoustic side a bit later 2.gif

Definitely O Baterista!

Der Trommler doesn't even count to me because it seemed like too much of a last minute attempt to come up with a different drum solo from the last tour, so he kinda just rearranged O Batterista and threw in some recycled bits from The Rhythm Method that he hadn't played in years.

QUOTE (Vicious @ Jan 30 2006, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 27 2005, 09:27 PM)
damn that's a hard decision  unsure.gif
Neil's a badass anyway, but i went with Der Trommler cause of the keyboard stuff from "Pieces of Eight" That melody is so cool!

Pieces of Eight? Enlighten me, please wink.gif

Back in the eighties, Neil played around with his new Midi-Kat Marimba (now known as the Mallet Kat). He wrote a piece named "Pieces of Eight"

The public only got the taste of it through Modern Drummer magazine but Neil has used it in every solo since. If you get a chance, pick up Anatomy of a Drum Solo. In here, Pieces of Eight as well as Momo's Dance Party (another piece he wrote) is here for your listening pleasure.

As for the choice? Well, see my name? Go see my myspace page....Why? It was structured so much better. Inadvertently on some parts but still much better. Although I love O' Baterista as much. The edge has to go to DT for me. I wonder he named the new solo this year?

QUOTE (Deadwing @ Sep 29 2007, 11:47 AM)
Definitely O Baterista!

Der Trommler doesn't even count to me because it seemed like too much of a last minute attempt to come up with a different drum solo from the last tour, so he kinda just rearranged O Batterista and threw in some recycled bits from The Rhythm Method that he hadn't played in years.

no.gif Neil always uses parts of previous solos. Little blurbs that he likes to work in & out. Example: Cowbell solo for All the World's a Stage, then Exit...Stage Left. He changes it a little bit but still remains fairly close to the original. Another, Scars part....Neil has liked using this piece in his solo as well & thus has played almost religously since Presto. Sometimes, it may seem like he just threw it together, he was writing the solo from little movements....Another one is the crossover piece. That has been going for 20+ years now & will never get old....

Both are great, but Der Trommler, I just HAD to pick it. GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 13 2006, 05:57 AM)
What happened to the "Neither" option? :-)

Yeah...

Ditch the four minutes of Roland TD-20 wankery and cut to the meat and potatoes. I would much rather have four and a half minutes of all out acoustic drum shredding any day of the week...