marillion thread

Tick

one of the best kept secrets in music,the latest release marbles is a classic.if you dont own it you should. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be honest and say that while a was a huge fan in the 80s, my interest waned when Fish left. I saw them in Dublin in '85 at the first ever gig to have Misplaced Childhood played in it's entirety. I was up front, right in front of Fish screaming for Grendel. He looked me in the eye and said "Oh, we have the frontal lobotomy cases in tonight, I see".

I recently bought a greatest hits package from the later years, and Hogarth is growing on me slowly but surely. I still yearn for the Fish era though.

Favourite album - Fugazi

Favourite song - Forgotten Sons

Says it all really.

i gotta tell athough fish was great,marillion has evolved into something very special with hogarth.if you havent really wanted to accept them now your really missing out.

OMG! I was going to start a thread like this. A TRF friend ( wub.gif ) sent me their whole catalog, sans "Marbles." I just got around to listening, and I'm blown away. They're awesome. I've only listened to Marillion.com. But, I love their sound.

I saw them in '82, at the Ice Rink in Inverness, on possibly their first Scottish tour, Market Square hero's had just been released as a single.

I think it slightly preceded Script, but can't be sure, anyway I thought they were excellent, Grendel in particular. I kind of lost them a bit after Fish left, but the Hogarth stuff I've heard is not too bad.

I first came Marillion when my brother came back from the Reading Festival raving about this band who had been quite a way down the bill. When I first heard Grendel I thought (cliche time here) 'OK, but a bit like Genesis' (mega Genesis with Gabriel fan at the time).

When Script came out, I seriously got into Marillion in a big way and managed to get to see them 8 times (First time was the Fugazi tour).

When Fish left and Hogarth joined, I gave them a chance and was very impressed with the Season's End album butreally lost interest with the astoundingly bland Holiday's in Eden album.

Since then, I've dipped into Marillion once in a while, quite liking Brave and This Strange Engine. I have got Marbles but I've only listened to a few time, it just doesn't grab me at all.

As for that, my personal favourites are:

Album - Script

Track - Cinderella Search (Real to Reel version()

Gig - Welcome to the Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl, 1986

Big fan of Fish Marillion.

Fav Song - Forgotten Sons

Fav CD - Clutching At Straws

...only with Fish!

Fave album "Misplaced Childhood" - by a STREET MILE (not a royal mile laugh.gif )

Favourite song....or should I say medley - the whole of side 2 of this classic album - (Waterhole, Lords of the Backstage, Blind Curve, Childhood's End, White Feather) - brings the goosebumps out and some parts actually bring tears to my eyes, not afraid to say.

White Feather is actually about the attempted takeover of Hearts (Football Club) by Hibernian back in the early 80's. "...proud to own my Heart"

I also love Assassing from Fugazi - (but the Single Edit version)

Market Square Heros...

...and of course - Forgotten Sons.....another song banned by the BBC moon.gif sarcasm.gif

OK. I just listened to "Script for a Jester's Tear," and... um. No. Sorry. Fish's voice went straight for my nerve ends. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'm listening to Marillion.com right now, and I really like it. In all fairness, I will listen to the rest. There's a good chance it will all grow on me. It's going to take a while, though. wacko.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 6 2005, 08:52 PM)
OK. I just listened to "Script for a Jester's Tear," and... um. No. Sorry. Fish's voice went straight for my nerve ends. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'm listening to Marillion.com right now, and I really like it. In all fairness, I will listen to the rest. There's a good chance it will all grow on me. It's going to take a while, though. wacko.gif

Its an acquired taste that album SS. Try Misplaced Childhood, its a little fresher yes.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 6 2005, 02:54 PM)
OK. I just listened to "Script for a Jester's Tear," and... um. No. Sorry. Fish's voice went straight for my nerve ends. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'm listening to Marillion.com right now, and I really like it. In all fairness, I will listen to the rest. There's a good chance it will all grow on me. It's going to take a while, though.  wacko.gif

Its an acquired taste that album SS. Try Misplaced Childhood, its a little fresher yes.gif

smile.gif Oh, that's much easier on my nerves. Nice, actually. I see your point about the difference between Fish and Hogarth. I think my opinion is swaying towards Hogarth still.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 6 2005, 09:03 PM)
OK. I just listened to "Script for a Jester's Tear," and... um. No. Sorry. Fish's voice went straight for my nerve ends. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'm listening to Marillion.com right now, and I really like it. In all fairness, I will listen to the rest. There's a good chance it will all grow on me. It's going to take a while, though.  wacko.gif

smile.gif Oh, that's much easier on my nerves. Nice, actually. I see your point about the difference between Fish and Hogarth. I think my opinion is swaying towards Hogarth still.

SS Misplaced Childhood is still Fish - at his best biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 6 2005, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 6 2005, 09:03 PM)

SS Misplaced Childhood is still Fish - at his best biggrin.gif

I know that's Fish. I mean I like Hogarth's voice better. I like the song "Built-In Bastard Radar" from Marillion.com. I don't know why, it just speaks to me. tongue.gif

I have:

Script For A Jester's Tear

Fugazi

Real To Reel

Brief Encounter

Misplaced Childhood

Clutching At Straws

Best Of The B'Sides

Live At Loreley (vhs)

From Stoke Row To Ipanema (vhs)

Afraid Of Sunlight

marillion.com

marillion.co.uk (still waiting for it... argh)

Marbles (2cd)

Marbles On The Road (1dvd)

I really like about everything I have, really. I need Brave.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 6 2005, 09:32 AM)
So far the only album I have is Marbles, but I think that is great, a little on the mellow side at times, but there are a few tracks that are mind blowing. And where is Earthshine to give his opinions on this band?

Sorry, I've been slacking here.... hard to keep up with everything on this board!

As for Marillion, well.. they are my second most favorite topic (next to "guess what???") 2.gif

I own all their albums, including all their offical live releases, and 7 of their DVDs. I enjoy the Fish era and the H era for different reasons. They have really evolved as a band. I like that the "musical" portion of the band has not changed since 1983 when Ian Mosley took over the drums. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MARK KELLEY!!!! IMO, the greatest keyboard player EVER!!!!!!

Sully, if you're new to Hogarth and you like marillion.com, you should really check out Anoraknaphobia and Marbles.. IMO, those albums are much better than .com. Marillion is an aquired taste, it takes a while to "get it".. But it's well worth the ride.

If anyone doubts that this band is one of the greatest prog rock bands of all time, just get a hold of "Ocean Cloud" (17 minutes) or "Neverland" (12 minutes) off of their latest album "Marbles"... UNBELIEVABLE STUFF!!! I saw them on the Marbles tour in Hollywood, CA.. An absolutely amazing experience...!!!! yes.gif

ok.well i didnt expect this response,but im pleasantly suprised.let me put it to you all this way.hogarth has been with marillion 15 years now and they have all grown together.the music they are making now is nothing short of incredible.if you like the old stuff i recomend to you buy some solo fish,very good stuff.start with empires and sunsets.back to the hogath days,he is one of the most captivating frontmen in the buisness.forget the fact fish is gone and embrace this band.i promise you you wont be dissapointed.

stuff to get started with.

1.the double disc marbles.having only the single disc is like halfing only one half of pink floyds the wall.

2.brave.early hogarth great disc.

3.marillion.com

4.anoracnophobia

5.this strange engine.

trust me the more you listen to this band,the more you appreciate the fact they exist,in a world full of crap music. yes.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 7 2005, 03:37 AM)

Sully, if you're new to Hogarth and you like marillion.com, you should really check out Anoraknaphobia and Marbles.. IMO, those albums are much better than .com. Marillion is an aquired taste, it takes a while to "get it".. But it's well worth the ride.

I immediately liked them! I can't remember if Anoraknaphobia is on the DVD my friend gave me, but I know Marbles isn't. I do like Fish, though. Misplaced Childhood is really great.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 7 2005, 07:13 PM)

Sully, if you're new to Hogarth and you like marillion.com, you should really check out Anoraknaphobia and Marbles..  IMO, those albums are much better than .com.  Marillion is an aquired taste, it takes a while to "get it"..  But it's well worth the ride.

I immediately liked them! I can't remember if Anoraknaphobia is on the DVD my friend gave me, but I know Marbles isn't. I do like Fish, though. Misplaced Childhood is really great.

Looks like we have a new fan here laugh.gif

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Dec 8 2005, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 7 2005, 07:13 PM)

Sully, if you're new to Hogarth and you like marillion.com, you should really check out Anoraknaphobia and Marbles..  IMO, those albums are much better than .com.  Marillion is an aquired taste, it takes a while to "get it"..  But it's well worth the ride.

Looks like we have a new fan here laugh.gif

Yup! Thanks to you, little bro!

smile.gif