Fear

Gmoney84

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 7 2006, 07:07 AM)
I recall Alex saying in an old interview that "it just sounds cool."

He didn't have anything else to say about it.

2.gif

Alex never gives those interviewers a straight answer if he can get away with it...

laugh.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 6 2005, 01:31 AM)
So the triology of fear has 4 parts so I guess it's not called the trilogy of fear anymore because it should be called Quadilogy or something like that lol. cool10.gif

It can still be called a trilogy; the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" is 5 books. It's just "increasingly inaccurate", but still a trilogy in my book... biggrin.gif

Get Replay X3, the awesome DVD set of three awesome Rush home videos. The Grace Under Pressure tour features the entire trilogy (way before Freeze was written, mind) performed in order. And the second song in the trilogy, The Weapon, is introduced by a vampire, who tells the audience to wear 3D glasses! How cool is that?

I cannot recommend Replay X3 enough! It's amazing!! Here's just some of the reasons to buy it:

- As I mentioned above, the entire Fear trilogy performed, in order, in concert.

- Cool packaging.

- The best, hands down, version of Limelight, anywhere.

- A bonus CD of the audio from the Grace Under Pressure tour DVD.

- Reasonably priced.

- 2.gif

Edited by Finbar

The "vampire" is Count Floyd, a Joe Flaherty (of SCTV fame) character.

I think it's way cool that they played the full Fear trilogy in concert in 1984 (or '85, whatever), and that it's on Replay x3, AND that the p/g concert audio is included on CD in that package. I'm disappointed though with Count Floyd's appearance before "The Weapon," though, as it disrupts the flow of the music.

They had to do that, of course, because of the set-up that needed to be done in preparation to play the song with the synth part and click track... still, a shame. I wonder if with today's technology they could pull off that song a little more easily in concert. I love watching the video of "The Weapon." There's a section where Neil is playing the herky-jerky syncopated drum part in the verses, and he works in a toss of the drumstick each time through the pattern. He reminds me of some kind of churning, bubbling Rube Goldberg machine, for some reason.

BTW, was this p/g concert originally aired on MTV? I have a hazy recollection of having seen it once. (Of course, I had seen the performance of "Red Sector A" on the Chronicles video.)

Edited by Room 34

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Dec 19 2006, 11:39 PM)
The "vampire" is Count Floyd, a Joe Flaherty (of SCTV fame) character.

I think it's way cool that they played the full Fear trilogy in concert in 1984 (or '85, whatever), and that it's on Replay x3, AND that the p/g concert audio is included on CD in that package. I'm disappointed though with Count Floyd's appearance before "The Weapon," though, as it disrupts the flow of the music.

They had to do that, of course, because of the set-up that needed to be done in preparation to play the song with the synth part and click track... still, a shame. I wonder if with today's technology they could pull off that song a little more easily in concert. I love watching the video of "The Weapon." There's a section where Neil is playing the herky-jerky syncopated drum part in the verses, and he works in a toss of the drumstick each time through the pattern. He reminds me of some kind of churning, bubbling Rube Goldberg machine, for some reason.

BTW, was this p/g concert originally aired on MTV? I have a hazy recollection of having seen it once. (Of course, I had seen the performance of "Red Sector A" on the Chronicles video.)

It was indeed aired on MTV back then. I did not personally see it, however many on the board have mentioned it in reference to taping it on VHS "back in the day" as it were.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

So the triology of fear has 4 parts so I guess it's not called the trilogy of fear anymore because it should be called Quadilogy or something like that lol.  cool10.gif

I think Neil just used that term as a joke. He used it again too: another trilogy was the Gangster of Boats trilogy which consisted of Where's My Thing? (Roll the Bones, 1991) and Leave That Thing Alone (Counterparts, 1993).

Edited by Maddi

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Mar 2 2006, 12:54 AM)
do the 4 parts of fear have like a story to them? what are they about?

They are about all of the things that drive fear in a human.

The Enemy Within (Individual Fear)

The Weapon (How government uses Fear)

Witch Hunt (Mob Fear)

Freeze (Fear of facing your fears)

Awesome series....definitely. All great songs.

I know that Count Floyd seems out of place to those who did not see the show live. At the time we all knew Count Floyd so it was cool to see. Just as those who saw R30 know who Jerry Stiller (who did the intro for the band) is.

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 31 2006, 03:33 PM)
Gotta love their sense of humor!! Part 4... of a trilogy?!

Why are we here? Because we'er here. Row the Boats laugh.gif

yes, even a scary song can be funny!

they should do all the parts on this tour......but they wont wtf.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Dec 28 2005, 08:27 PM)
fing.gif Great minds think alike huh... wink.gif
Yes, I too have made a compilation disc including the 'Fear' songs consecutively.....in other words 1-4. So cool!! boarder.gif

I've got a playlist on my iTunes ... does that count?

Anyway, each part of the "Fear" trilogy describes a different part of fear (The Enemy Within is how fear works inside us, The Weapon is how fear works against us, and Witch Hunt is about how fear "feeds" the mob's motives). The former theme was easiest to write, so that came first, The Weapon came next because it was next easiest, and The Enemy Within is least easiest to write about, so that was done last.

QUOTE (WorkingAngel @ Sep 13 2007, 12:55 AM)
I remember when they did the three Fear parts in concert back in '84. Incredible!

I would love to see a Part V come about but I'm not holding my breath.

Ooo. Scaddy.

I'd like a part V too.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 6 2006, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 6 2006, 02:33 PM)
I believe it should be called the Fear tetralogy...

The Enemy Within and The Weapon are the best, I think, so you should check them out...

The Weapon! Now there's a song they should pull out of the vault for the next tour! 1022.gif

And have Count Floyd introduce......with 3d glasses... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 6 2006, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 6 2006, 02:33 PM)
I believe it should be called the Fear tetralogy...

The Enemy Within and The Weapon are the best, I think, so you should check them out...

The Weapon! Now there's a song they should pull out of the vault for the next tour! 1022.gif

I agree, I listened to Signals the other day and thought the same thing

Each album has one song that I play over and over and over again when I come across it. On Grace Under Pressure, that song is The Enemy Within. LOVE that song.

(Can anyone guess what song it is on Test For Echo? laugh.gif )

Obviously its Dog Years. 653.gif

On the subect of fear though, has anyone else noticed how many times Neil inserts the word "Fear" into his lyrics? I cant think of any off the top of my head, buti know i've heard it a bunch of times.

QUOTE (Retrospective @ Dec 25 2006, 01:57 PM)
So the triology of fear has 4 parts so I guess it's not called the trilogy of fear anymore because it should be called Quadilogy or something like that lol.  cool10.gif

I think Neil just used that term as a joke. He used it again too: another trilogy was the Gangster of Boats trilogy which consisted of Where's My Thing? (Roll the Bones, 1991) and Leave That Thing Alone (Counterparts, 1993).

I always thought that Limbo was part of that 'trilogy'. Sure seems to have some aquatic sounds don't you think? Where else would GOB come from? The fact that it would be the third, of four supposed parts, with the first the one named GOB's just makes it all the funnier. Just Lerxt having us on for taking it all so seriously IMO.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Dec 28 2005, 05:57 AM)
I have a disc in my car I burned with parts 1-4 all together...I suggest you try it...it really is so cool to hear them played in order....

I'll have to do that

The Enemy Within is 10x better live

and The Weapon is 3x better live..

Purchase

Rush Replay

it has a dvd of ESL(with different songs)

A Grace under pressure live dvd/cd(this one ownz)

A show of hands dvd, with a few different songs

the Grace under pressure cd/dvd has the enemy within-the weapon-Witch Hunt in that order(all of fear to that date in order) and its really really good.

i strongly recommend getting this dvd package

\

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif