Devin Townsend

Mustard Death

Do any of you know this guy? He's a super-cool Canadian in a band called Strapping Young Lad... and although I've never heard them, I just got his solo album (er, "The Devin Townsend Band") Accelerated Evolution and it's f***ing amazing!

It's progressive metal with industrial elements (don't worry, no Dream Theater esque "constant soloing", and no harsh vocals), and I highly recommend you people check it out.

It's like... somewhat agressive, yet at the same time it's not all in your face and stuff... like some guy on another board said, "It paints a landscape".

Check out the songs "Depth Charge" and "Storm".... please..?

Devin is incredible for both his vocals and killer guitar work. I first heard of him when he did the vocals for Vai- Sex and Religion. Then his vocals on Natural Science on the working man tribute disc were the best on that disc.

Rumour has it that the Devin Townsend Band will open for Opeth on their next tour. Anyways those interested can check out full lenght songs in the discography section of his website here

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 1 2005, 06:00 PM)
Rumour has it that the Devin Townsend Band will open for Opeth on their next tour.

Really?! Sounds great, unfortunately I missed Opeth this tour... but if Devin's gonna be there next time, I'll do anything to go...

Devin is GOD. My 2nd favourite artist of all time, and actually closing in on Rush as my all time favourite. Everything that man does is pure gold, and pure genius. Go out and buy EVERYTHING he's ever done.....

QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 21 2006, 12:43 AM)
Devin is GOD. My 2nd favourite artist of all time, and actually closing in on Rush as my all time favourite. Everything that man does is pure gold, and pure genius. Go out and buy EVERYTHING he's ever done.....

I think I will.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 21 2006, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 21 2006, 12:43 AM)

I think I will.

You WILL NOT regret it, I promise. He's released 11 albums in the last 11 years, between SYL and his 'solo' stuff. Each and every one of them is absolutely worth owning and getting stuck right into. He has not released anything even REMOTELY resembling a dud. To me he is undoubtedly the most amazing talent in music today. And that's selling him short!!!!!

Start with 'City', from '97, still the definitive Strapping album, and probably the craziest, most chaotic and yet symphonic and musical stuff you'll ever hear. Then move on to 'Alien' and his solo stuff. Start with either 'Ocean Machine' or 'Infinity'. That should get you started!!!!! Edited by Roddy

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Oct 22 2006, 07:23 PM)
Blech. Death metal. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I think you've posted in the wrong topic by mistake, Either that or you haven't a clue what you're talking about.....

I haven't heard that much of Devin since Sex & Religion, but I saw this the other day for a good price and it's I've got to say it's bloody good...

http://www.musiqueonly.com/disques/hard_metal/nouveautes/photos/synchestra_spv.jpg

- BTW Roddy calm down and don't go into a Hevy Devy paroxysm, I know you think we should all go out and buy EVERYTHING by Devin already -

laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 3 2007, 04:02 AM)
I haven't heard that much of Devin since Sex & Religion, but I saw this the other day for a good price and it's I've got to say it's bloody good...

http://www.musiqueonly.com/disques/hard_metal/nouveautes/photos/synchestra_spv.jpg

- BTW Roddy calm down and don't go into a Hevy Devy paroxysm, I know you think we should all go out and buy EVERYTHING by Devin already -

laugh.gif wink.gif

I'm completely calm, and could you be any further behind the news???

QUOTE (Roddy @ Mar 3 2007, 04:36 AM)

-  BTW Roddy calm down and don't go into a Hevy Devy paroxysm, I know you think we should all go out and buy EVERYTHING by Devin already -

laugh.gif  wink.gif

Oh I knew about this one last year when it came out, the guy who runs the Vai forum/general Vai right hand man Mikey was raving about it after Devin sent him an advance copy. Of course he raved mostly about the Vai solo in Triumph, particularly the lick at 6.07 (he doesn't know how he can even THINK it)...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 3 2007, 02:45 PM)

-  BTW Roddy calm down and don't go into a Hevy Devy paroxysm, I know you think we should all go out and buy EVERYTHING by Devin already -

laugh.gif  wink.gif

Oh I knew about this one last year when it came out, the guy who runs the Vai forum/general Vai right hand man Mikey was raving about it after Devin sent him an advance copy. Of course he raved mostly about the Vai solo in Triumph, particularly the lick at 6.07 (he doesn't know how he can even THINK it)...

biggrin.gif

You missed my point, but doesn't matter. smile.gif

Vai gave Dev his break, but musically Dev has absolutely left Vai in his dust ....

QUOTE (Roddy @ Mar 3 2007, 08:26 PM)

laugh.gif  wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Vai gave Dev his break, but musically Dev has absolutely left Vai in his dust ....

Well I don't know what your point was Roddy but it seems you place high value in getting into a band before someone else does or something like that. I personally don't see it as a race myself... But if it is a race I'm sure I beat you getting into a ton of bands probably including Rush...

wink.gif

Judging art is subjective as you know and isn't as cut and dried as some people may think, what one man thinks for a certainty another thinks the opposite with just as much certainty. Which is why I don't dismiss your points or argue one way or the other in fact...

What we can say for sure though about Devin is he's he only man in the f***ing world who can pull off a Skullet!!

trink39.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2007, 01:03 AM)

laugh.gif  wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Well I don't know what your point was Roddy but it seems you place high value in getting into a band before someone else does or something like that. I personally don't see it as a race myself... But if it is a race I'm sure I beat you getting into a ton of bands probably including Rush...

wink.gif

Judging art is subjective as you know and isn't as cut and dried as some people may think, what one man thinks for a certainty another thinks the opposite with just as much certainty. Which is why I don't dismiss your points or argue one way or the other in fact...

What we can say for sure though about Devin is he's he only man in the f***ing world who can pull off a Skullet!!

trink39.gif wink.gif

Again you've missed the point completely. Your post about you wanting me to 'calm down' seemed to come from a remark I made 4-5 months ago. That's why I said you were behind the news. Nothing to do with Devin or having 'races' or whatever.

(BTW, can you beat 1983, as far as Rush is concerned? My sincere congratulations if you can. But when we're talking periods up around a quarter of a century, does it really matter?)

As for your 2nd point, my entire reason for coming on forums is to have an opinion/argument, express it strongly, read others' opinions/arguments and debate them as neccesary. That is all.

Agree 100% with your 3rd point....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Roddy

QUOTE (Roddy @ Mar 4 2007, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2007, 01:03 AM)

laugh.gif  wink.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

trink39.gif wink.gif

Again you've missed the point completely. Your post about you wanting me to 'calm down' seemed to come from a remark I made 4-5 months ago. That's why I said you were behind the news. Nothing to do with Devin or having 'races' or whatever.

(BTW, can you beat 1983, as far as Rush is concerned? My sincere congratulations if you can. But when we're talking periods up around a quarter of a century, does it really matter?)

As for your 2nd point, my entire reason for coming on forums is to have an opinion/argument, express it strongly, read others' opinions/arguments and debate them as neccesary. That is all.

Agree 100% with your 3rd point....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yeah 1980...

trink38.gif

Well you can't really compare Vai and Dev's music really because they play entirely different things. Vai plays predominantly instrumental rock, live he only sings about 2 songs one's a Zappa cover, the other is the one song on Sex and religion that he sang but he plays it acoustically... Dev plays progressive metal or industrial progressive metal or whatever handle works, his instrumental stuff is ambient music again notihng like Vai's music. So there's little point in comparing them really...

What's your favourite Dev stuff mate, now I'm interested...?

I've been watching some stuff on youtube, SYL and his solo band, oh yeah I ordered Accelerated Evolution. I like some of the SYL stuff I saw but not all...

If you're not a big Metal fan, avoid SYL. They're about as extreme as mainstream Metal gets.

If I was you, I'd get my hands on everything Dev's done, solo-wise. Synchestra is indeed a great place to start (but anywhere would be, really!). It depends on your tastes. The most 'organic' thing he's ever done is still probably 'Ocean Machine', and lots of people think this is the best thing he's ever done. His most 'other-worldy' album is undoubtedly the album straight after OM, 'Infinity'. That's my favourite. It's quite simply stunning, and utterly unique. There's nothing on earth that's even vaguely similar in style. Try these 3 first, then move onto Accelarated Evolution and Terria. Possibly avoid 'Physicist', since it strays into SYL territory slightly.

Finbar and I saw them live! They were great. I think I like Strapping Young Lad more though. Either way Devin Townsend puts on a great show!

Had a better time at the Devin Townsend Band concert though, but that wasnt because of the music.

QUOTE (Roddy @ Mar 4 2007, 10:30 PM)
If you're not a big Metal fan, avoid SYL. They're about as extreme as mainstream Metal gets.
If I was you, I'd get my hands on everything Dev's done, solo-wise. Synchestra is indeed a great place to start (but anywhere would be, really!). It depends on your tastes. The most 'organic' thing he's ever done is still probably 'Ocean Machine', and lots of people think this is the best thing he's ever done. His most 'other-worldy' album is undoubtedly the album straight after OM, 'Infinity'. That's my favourite. It's quite simply stunning, and utterly unique. There's nothing on earth that's even vaguely similar in style. Try these 3 first, then move onto Accelarated Evolution and Terria. Possibly avoid 'Physicist', since it strays into SYL territory slightly.

After a little deliberation I've ordered Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution...

smile.gif