I SEE WET PEOPLE!!!

furie

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 29 2005, 08:20 AM)
I liked the first 3 alot but The Village was ATROCIOUS!

Hopefully Night can redeem himself with this one yes.gif

And hopefully he steers away from the "surprise" ending gimmick and just tell a good story...

the surprise ending is his thing, and i'd be surprised if he didn't have one.

i personally LOVED the village. i saw it with my wife and mother and we all completely loved it, and were pretty shocked at how it got so critically panned. i thought the woman who played the main character (the blind woman) deserved an oscar nomination, but of course she was completely passed over, probably because the movie got bad reviews. anyway for what it's worth, a vastly underrated film IMHO...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2005, 10:24 AM)

And hopefully he steers away from the "surprise" ending gimmick and just tell a good story...

i personally LOVED the village. i saw it with my wife and mother and we all completely loved it, and were pretty shocked at how it got so critically panned. i thought the woman who played the main character (the blind woman) deserved an oscar nomination, but of course she was completely passed over, probably because the movie got bad reviews. anyway for what it's worth, a vastly underrated film IMHO...

I think that the surprise ending being his "thing" is a mistake. I mean sure, do it occasionally and keep it fresh, but we've all come to expect it. I spent the beginning of "The Village" trying to anticipate what THE TWIST was going to be. I had it figured out way early, and the rest of the movie was just kind of blah for me.

I think he's a gifted director, and that he could do some great stuff if he could decide that he's not required to throw a big ol' monkeywrench into every single movie.

IMO.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 29 2005, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2005, 10:24 AM)

I think that the surprise ending being his "thing" is a mistake. I mean sure, do it occasionally and keep it fresh, but we've all come to expect it. I spent the beginning of "The Village" trying to anticipate what THE TWIST was going to be. I had it figured out way early, and the rest of the movie was just kind of blah for me.

I think he's a gifted director, and that he could do some great stuff if he could decide that he's not required to throw a big ol' monkeywrench into every single movie.

IMO.

In The Village, he had TWO big twists, and I didn't see either of them coming. In terms of it becoming "his thing", I agree that it could become a bit stagnant, if not for the fact that he has great stories as well (IMHO) with a lot of meaning in each one that goes beyond just the twist gimmick.

A director who writes movies with supernatural subject material that are fresh and interesting with surprising twists along the way?

More, please... yes.gif

Another major Village fan here - I did anticipate the central twist, but found it no less enjoyable for that.

It isn't as though most films don't have predictable endings.

Heres a prediction - In the next Bond film, a supervillian will try to kill him in a slow and painful way without any supervision in a place from which there is no escape.

Bond will escape and foil the baddie.

He will then make passionate love to a woman we originally thought was a baddie, probably in an exotic transport vehicle of some kind, pausing only to make a quip when they're caught by a high ranking British defence forces officer.

We wouldn't have it any other way. trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 29 2005, 01:30 PM)
Another major Village fan here - I did anticipate the central twist, but found it no less enjoyable for that.

Heres a prediction - In the next Bond film, a supervillian will try to kill him in a slow and painful way without any supervision in a place from which there is no escape.

He will then make passionate love to a woman we originally thought was a baddie, probably in an exotic transport vehicle of some kind, pausing only to make a quip when they're caught by a high ranking British defence forces officer.

goodpost.gif

I thought the Village was masterfully written; and full of some great rhetoric.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 29 2005, 12:30 PM)

Good point, madra. smile.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 29 2005, 01:51 PM)
I think he's a fantastic artist, and I will gladly pay to see any of his works.

yes.gif yes.gif

I still can't go to my buddy's house, who lives up against a corn field... and not get freaked. Signs was one of the greatest movies, ever.

I don't admire him for the plot twists. Rather, for the multi layered depth he gives his characters. Each one deals with something very different that somehow ties together at the core of his stories. I love how he can do that.

PS - sorry, Ricky. Two posts for today.

This whole thing basically boils down to one question: "Are you willing to suspend your disbelief for M. Knight Shyalaman"? I watched 'The Sixth Sense' and figured out that Bruce Willis was dead about halfway through the movie. He never changed his clothes and the kid was the only one who talked to him. I notice things like that, that's how my weird mind works. I did like it a lot despite that. It was well-written and featured some good scares and terrific performances.

My wife saw 'Unbreakable' before I did. She brought me the DVD home one day and said: "You'll like this one". She was right (as usual), I was totally blown away by the ending and I absolutely did not see it coming. I loved it, loved it, loved it!

Then came 'Signs'. I liked this one, too despite the fact that there wasn't a huge twist ending, but instead a great payoff that I thoroughly enjoyed. Sure, if aliens ever come to Earth looking for food, they'd take all of the cattle before they'd take us because a.) cows are more plentiful than people, and b.) it's better for you, human meat contains lots of toxins. Also, why would an alien race who is vulnerable to water harvest an animal that is 2/3 water? Were they going to make man-jerky or something? All that aside, I still liked it.

Then came the execrable 'The Village'. Side note to M. Knight: the twist endings are starting to become gimmicky, why don't you try something new? God, how I hated this movie. I was actually angry that the creatures were fake because I had been thinking that Knight was going to make some kind of good monster movie. I know, I know, he's not here to live up to my expectations. I'm still mad, though. Plus, I figured this one out halfway through it.

Now comes 'Lady In The Water'. Yes, I'll go to the theater to see it, and yes I'll be hoping that it will be good, and yes I'll try not to have too many expectations. And I will try my damnedest to suspend my disbelief as hard as I can.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 29 2005, 05:19 PM)
It looked really weird from the previews. I have no idea if I will see it or not. confused13.gif

i saw previews for it at a movie theather recently, and they were cryptic to say the least, meaning i couldn't really fathom much of anything about what the movie was about. once it said his name at the end of the preview though, i got excited, figuring if he's doing it, it's bound to be great. come to think of it, there are VERY, VERY few directors where i'll see almost any movie they make just because they directed it. And also come to think of it, I don't think there are any actors or actresses where I'll see every movie they're in no matter what. I felt that way about William Hurt for awhile in the 80's, but nobody since him...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2005, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 29 2005, 05:19 PM)
It looked really weird from the previews.  I have no idea if I will see it or not.  confused13.gif

i saw previews for it at a movie theather recently, and they were cryptic to say the least, meaning i couldn't really fathom much of anything about what the movie was about. once it said his name at the end of the preview though, i got excited, figuring if he's doing it, it's bound to be great. come to think of it, there are VERY, VERY few directors where i'll see almost any movie they make just because they directed it. And also come to think of it, I don't think there are any actors or actresses where I'll see every movie they're in no matter what. I felt that way about William Hurt for awhile in the 80's, but nobody since him...

That's what I meant. It was weird because I got nothing out of it.

I didn't want to reply to this thread because it's very childish.

However I'm a big Night fan. Loved everything he has done.

Unless this gets rave reviews, then I might check it out. Sixth Sense, and Signs I really liked, Unbreakable was mediocre in my opinion (seemed like it was dragged on to me) and I flat out hated the Village.