Jump to content

Is "Closer to the Heart" a top-tier Rush song?


Texas King
 Share

Is "Closer to the Heart" a top-tier Rush song?  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. Is "Closer to the Heart" a top-tier Rush song?



Recommended Posts

Of course it is. When you went to a show you wanted it on the set list. This is really a question? Am I taking crazy pills???

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love it every time I hear it.  Closer to the Heart, Fly By Night and New World Man are the band's best radio tracks.  Short, sweet with great choruses.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a part time philosopher and full time ploughman, I find the instructions in the lyrics a bit nebulous, but the uniqueness of the instrumentation do indeed make it a top tier Rush song.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, goose said:

I love it every time I hear it.  Closer to the Heart, Fly By Night and New World Man are the band's best radio tracks.  Short, sweet with great choruses.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where goose said something positive about AFTK.

 

Now I can die in peace.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It could’ve been.

 

It’s half-baked, just like they were when they recorded it.

 

I hate the arrangement. Needs another verse. Also NPs weird feel on the studio version. Also Lerxst’s jarring double pluck at the very top.

 

it got way way better around Different Stages. That version is great.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding drumming, I think NP was working things out things during AFTK. There are just weird timing issues on that album and during its tour. Just weird rests between parts, and awkward tempo shifts (like in Bastille Day or Lakeside Park).

 

It’s interesting, because on Hemispheres and its tour you hear none of these issues.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have sooo many other songs that are undeniable top-tier classics.

So ... doubtful.

I mean, I listen to songs on Signals and GuP and HYF and Presto all the time. I revisit A Farewell to Kings and Xanadu sometimes. I jam out on 2112 way more than I'd like to admit. 

But I rarely feel the need to put CTTH on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was one of my earliest favorite Rush songs when I was a little kid! I remember hearing it and thinking “This lady has an interesting voice.” 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is "top tier"???  Top 10?  Top 20?  Top 25?  Top 30?  Top 50?

 

Understanding that would help answer the question.  Its clearly not in my top 10 Rush songs and likely not in my top 20.  Perhaps in my top 25.  An excellent song but if you say your top tier Rush songs are your top 10 or top 20 then the answer for me is no.  But still excellent - no hate here and lots of love for it but Rush just has better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Naaaa. Put this in the same category as Fly By Night...a radio friendly attempt to attract the uninitiated. 

 

When they used this song in concert to goof on with Al at the mike, you can tell they didn't take it seriously anymore ("closet in your house"). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the Official List Of Top-Tier Rush Songs, which all Rush fans are required to follow.  

 

So I'll just say, "If you want the song to be top-tier, it will be top-tier!"  :biggrin:  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a long time I considered it a lesser song -- a catchy, straightforward piece that doesn't have much to it.  Over the years I've come to appreciate it more, the lyrics in particular.

 

I agree with @chemistry1973, I don't think the arrangement is great, and it could really use another verse.  I also agree that Peart's drumming is not great -- I think he found he vibe of it in the ensuing years, however.

 

For me, the main strike against the studio version is Geddy Lee's vocal, which to me is him at his most affected.  I remember when I was around 14 years old telling a girl in my class that Rush was from our hometown.  She COULDN'T believe it.  "That guy sings with a british accent!!"  Haha...I've never thought that exactly, but he was doing something around AFTK that doesn't sound natural to me.  The version on ESL is completely my go to - his vocal is great (I love the way he sings the "sailing into destiny/closer to the heart" section), the groove (despite it speeding way up in the guitar solo) is good...and the band is not just rushing through the song to get to the mindless 3 chord jam that they seemed to love so much in the 80's and 90's (sorry.) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2024 at 9:40 AM, laughedatbytime said:

I never thought I'd live to see the day where goose said something positive about AFTK.

 

Now I can die in peace.

Too funny. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point any song included on exit stage left can and should be considered top tier. Imo

 

Great tune. Relatable and to the point. Always struck me as an optimistic tune by Rush standards .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

Naaaa. Put this in the same category as Fly By Night...a radio friendly attempt to attract the uninitiated. 

 

When they used this song in concert to goof on with Al at the mike, you can tell they didn't take it seriously anymore ("closet in your house"). 

 

 

They goofed with a lot of songs, including 2112, Strangiato, Tom Sawyer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top ten for me. A perfect yet unconventional pop song by a band who almost exclusively seemed unconcerned with writing pop music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2024 at 1:07 PM, chemistry1973 said:

Regarding drumming, I think NP was working things out things during AFTK. There are just weird timing issues on that album and during its tour. Just weird rests between parts, and awkward tempo shifts (like in Bastille Day or Lakeside Park).

 

It’s interesting, because on Hemispheres and its tour you hear none of these issues.

Oof, those are not issues to me man. All I hear is the professor at work. His timing is exactly what he wants it to be.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2024 at 7:50 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oof, those are not issues to me man. All I hear is the professor at work. His timing is exactly what he wants it to be.

Listen to the live versions that were released along with AFTK a couple years ago. The fills in lakeside park are crazy! They make no sense!

 

and with Bastille Day - Lerxst starts it but when NP comes in he pulls it WAY back.

Edited by chemistry1973
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chemistry1973 said:

Listen to the live versions that were released along with AFTK a couple years ago. The fills in lakeside park are crazy! They make no sense!

 

and with Bastille Day - Lerxst starts it but when NP comes in he pulls it WAY back.

I own those. They sound epic to me. I refuse to believe if Peart ever pushed or pulled it was a mistake.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I own those. They sound epic to me. I refuse to believe if Peart ever pushed or pulled it was a mistake.

Being a matter of intent is one thing.

 

Being a matter of sound musical choices is another!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

top 10 favorite Rush track no

top 10 musically  arranged Rush track -no

top 10- inspiring Rush track -(makes top 20)

top 10- Non die hard Rush fan track for others- yes

top 10- light Rush track -yes

top 10-for the bands success and notable  flagship songs -yes 

top 10- at a Rush concert and hold a lighter-or cell phone up to-yes 

top 10 times been driving and it comes  on the radio-turn it up -hell yes 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...