Choose your favorite...G 'n R vs Maiden

Maiden vs G 'n R  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following bands do you prefer?

Never liked GnR

• Like 2

GNR has some highs, but Maiden was great for a decade, and even the long goodbye has been pretty good. I could make a "best of" GNR disc, but the "best of" for Maiden would run to three volumes.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Never liked GnR

Yeah, this choice ain't close for me.

Though I do love Patience.

Maiden hands down.  GnR.......never really got the fuss over appetite.  it's an OK album.  i do have a soft spot for the illusion records as i bought them round about release. 

Maiden is just better on all fronts.  their 80's run is hard to match and they're comeback from 2000 to now......while the albums are way too long and ponderous......have tremendous highs.

Mick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

GnR hasn't shown if they are still great for over 30 years. Maiden has shown for over 40 years that they constantly still are.

That is sort of where I'm at. GnR is like three albums with 1.5 being great...don't anyone try Chinese Democracy shit with me, that Axle only stuff isn't GnR. 

• Haha 1

GnR has its first album which has a lot of very good (although overplayed) songs.  After that, um, they have the song Civil War - which I consider to be their best song.  But nothing else I would be bothered to listen to.  Maiden has (as others have said) a run of tremendous albums in the 1980's plus some good music after 2000.  East pick Maiden.

• Like 1

This is a good question.  They're pretty tough to compare sonically.  Maiden obviously has a deeper discography to work off.  And to Jackie's point about Chinese Democracy, let's throw it out because the Bayley era albums from Maiden's discography are bad.

Appetite is a better album than any single Maiden album.  I don't agree that the Illusions are "bloated," any more than I think the White Album or Exile on Main Street are (the White Album being my favorite album of all time and Exile being my favorite Stones album).  Between Maiden's Best of the B-Sides and GNR's The Spaghetti Incident?, I'll take Spaghetti, but it's close.  Maiden Japan and Live After Dark are almost a wash with Live Era.

If we take Maiden's depth out of it, I have to say I prefer GNR's material.  As much as I admire Maiden's continuing to put out quality albums, the 7+ minute epics have never been my thing.

I'm going to see Maiden live for the first time in about 40 years this year.  GNR was great in 2017, iffy in 2022, great in 2023.  I'm interested to see how a Maiden show comes across now.

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

This is a good question.  They're pretty tough to compare sonically.  Maiden obviously has a deeper discography to work off.  And to Jackie's point about Chinese Democracy, let's throw it out because the Bayley era albums from Maiden's discography are bad.

Appetite is a better album than any single Maiden album.  I don't agree that the Illusions are "bloated," any more than I think the White Album or Exile on Main Street are (the White Album being my favorite album of all time and Exile being my favorite Stones album).  Between Maiden's Best of the B-Sides and GNR's The Spaghetti Incident?, I'll take Spaghetti, but it's close.  Maiden Japan and Live After Dark are almost a wash with Live Era.

If we take Maiden's depth out of it, I have to say I prefer GNR's material.  As much as I admire Maiden's continuing to put out quality albums, the 7+ minute epics have never been my thing.

I'm going to see Maiden live for the first time in about 40 years this year.  GNR was great in 2017, iffy in 2022, great in 2023.  I'm interested to see how a Maiden show comes across now.

Thanks...here's the article that made me think of making the poll, because you're right about the differences musically.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/when-axl-rose-claimed-iron-maiden-were-just-a-political-organisation/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3hDe4ZleRelh8EzUf-ClIAia9D9zMnBJ_jGvFaCEmvwzsSDD5fP2r5a_w_aem_AdykR3KFSuOPuz2gDPorvARbFgOdjADMurL2oUIurcYUmcWNN0lm2JuwOEOA7mvaJEev0JRFw7X4nP92JUbivO10

Quite honestly, and this isn't to bash G 'n R because they did have many "high high's", I think I'd take the DiAnno years of Maiden over the entire G 'N R catalog.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, liquidcrystalcompass said:

GnR was one of the worst, if not the worst, concerts I ever saw.  

Thats a good point.  When I voted I was voting based on the quality of the studio albums.  Factoring in live shows Maiden pulls further ahead for me.  

I only saw Maiden live once (in the spring of 1987) and they were ok.  Bad sound system, ok show.  Honestly I preferred the opening band (Waysted) more.  GnR I saw in the summer of 1988 with them opening for Arowsmith.  Terrible show.  Both bands were horrible.  If I had gone on my own I would have walked out.  Thinking about the live shows convinces me that my vote for Maiden was correct.

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Thanks...here's the article that made me think of making the poll, because you're right about the differences musically.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/when-axl-rose-claimed-iron-maiden-were-just-a-political-organisation/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3hDe4ZleRelh8EzUf-ClIAia9D9zMnBJ_jGvFaCEmvwzsSDD5fP2r5a_w_aem_AdykR3KFSuOPuz2gDPorvARbFgOdjADMurL2oUIurcYUmcWNN0lm2JuwOEOA7mvaJEev0JRFw7X4nP92JUbivO10

Quite honestly, and this isn't to bash G 'n R because they did have many "high high's", I think I'd take the DiAnno years of Maiden over the entire G 'N R catalog.

I've said many times that IMO the first few Dickinson albums are about as good, but definitely not better, than the debut and Killers.  The Di'Anno albums don't have any clunkers like Quest for Fire or The Duelists.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I think I'd take the DiAnno years of Maiden over the entire G 'N R catalog.

:yes:

On 6/8/2024 at 9:06 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

Appetite is a better album than any single Maiden album.  

Hard disagree here. Killers front to end is much better than Appettite

On 6/8/2024 at 9:06 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

As much as I admire Maiden's continuing to put out quality albums, the 7+ minute epics have never been my thing

Same.  For me, too much of the Dickinson stuff is them just playing the song twice or playing the chorus over and over.  Killers had all the hooks and none of the excess fat

• Like 2

If it pleases the minority to know, my dad said he’d take GnR over Maiden.

I’m not so easily swayed by singles though.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:06 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Appetite is not better than any 80s Maiden album in my eyes.

• Like 1

I alays found Appetite a little to Gimmick-y and  desperate to shock.  Not that maiden isn't a bit of a gimmick well.  it's just......i dunno. Songs like It' so Easy.  It reerks of juvenile shock value that has not aged well.

"OOH WE JUST TOLD A BITCH TO BEND OVER........WE IS NAUGHTY BAAAAAAAAAAAAD"

give me a break, lol.

and sorry Rick Appetite better than any Maiden?  that's.......a thing you said i guess, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I alays found Appetite a little to Gimmick-y and  desperate to shock.  Not that maiden isn't a bit of a gimmick well.  it's just......i dunno. Songs like It' so Easy.  It reerks of juvenile shock value that has not aged well.

"OOH WE JUST TOLD A BITCH TO BEND OVER........WE IS NAUGHTY BAAAAAAAAAAAAD"

give me a break, lol.

and sorry Rick Appetite better than any Maiden?  that's.......a thing you said i guess, lol

Mick

I've always found it to be standard. I just don't really love Slash's style, and the songs have never thrilled me beyond "this is fun", only to be forgotten a minute later.

Still, super talented musicians and I'd do anything to have bands like this be mainstream superstars in our time.

Honestly, don't hate me for this, but if there is any single US metal album to claim as greater than Maiden in the eighties...for me it would be Operation: Mindcrime.

Edited by Segue Myles