The Sorry State of Music These Days

ByWyzD

QUOTE (jgt46 @ Nov 30 2005, 06:45 PM)
The change in what is being played on the radio now is due to the pursuit of money not talent. Mainstream radio is owned by these big media companies that may play 10% of the music out ther past and present. Actually very few good new bands  ever make it to recording an album and being heard. I mainly like the older bands Who, Marillion, Queensryche,Dio and others. I also love the guitar virtuosos who never get airplay. Satriani and Vai are incredible. Some of the new bands I like tool. Audioslave(Have always like Chris Cornell's voice sine the Soundgarden days) Nickelback sounds like the old bands and Shinedown has some good stuff.  So I never watch the award shows or hardly listen to the radio as the industry has no interest in talent as much as they do in money.

Also, that dumbkuff President of ours is in co-hoots with Clear Channel and they have been on a censorship crusade ever since that "N*pplegate" scandal with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake which has caused the FCC to come out of hibernation and censoring art. Howard Stern went satellite as he hates the modern state of radio. I don't listen to radio as much as I used to. I just listen to CDs.

Both Republicans and Democrats are hypocrites. Tipper Gore went after AC/DC, Judas Priest and KISS and the righteous right attacked Rush and Pink Floyd. One priest said Rush stood for Rulers Under Satan's House and Anthem on All the World's had a Satanic message! What dumbkuffs!

Edited by floydfanatic111

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 1 2005, 04:36 PM)
I no longer think its at all worth my time to try to explain to people who have already made up thier mind of what they like and dont like before they try it out.

You raise an excellent point, and it's pretty ballsy of me to dismis modern music as a vast generalization. Doubtlessly there's a lot of stuff I would like if I invested a lot of time into continually checking it out. My point was that at one point I DID invest a lot of time into it when peple would constantly give me recommendations on new bands i HAD to hear. I just never liked most any of it so I stopped trying. If I had 50 cd's and I was dying for more music, then I'd probably still be in that game plugging away, but I have a TON of cd's that make me happy and I'd rather invest my time exploring areas where I have a proven track record of finding great stuff I love, and that just happens to be 60's and 70's music. I hope that makes sense. I know I'm making huge blanket statements, but it's out of my own personal experience. Not like I expect anyone to agree with my point of view (they rarely do) - I'm just saying that IMHO music back then was light years beyond what it is now. If you listen to modern music and enjoy it, that's great. Listen to what makes you happy by all means. trink39.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 2 2005, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (jgt46 @ Nov 30 2005, 06:45 PM)
The change in what is being played on the radio now is due to the pursuit of money not talent. Mainstream radio is owned by these big media companies that may play 10% of the music out ther past and present. Actually very few good new bands  ever make it to recording an album and being heard. I mainly like the older bands Who, Marillion, Queensryche,Dio and others. I also love the guitar virtuosos who never get airplay. Satriani and Vai are incredible. Some of the new bands I like tool. Audioslave(Have always like Chris Cornell's voice sine the Soundgarden days) Nickelback sounds like the old bands and Shinedown has some good stuff.  So I never watch the award shows or hardly listen to the radio as the industry has no interest in talent as much as they do in money.

Also, that dumbkuff President of ours is in co-hoots with Clear Channel and they have been on a censorship crusade ever since that "N*pplegate" scandal with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake which has caused the FCC to come out of hibernation and censoring art. Howard Stern went satellite as he hates the modern state of radio. I don't listen to radio as much as I used to. I just listen to CDs.

Both Republicans and Democrats are hypocrites. Tipper Gore went after AC/DC, Judas Priest and KISS and the righteous right attacked Rush and Pink Floyd. One priest said Rush stood for Rulers Under Satan's House and Anthem on All the World's had a Satanic message! What dumbkuffs!

lol

I'm quite enjoying listening to new stuff, well new to me anyway. Having three teenage boys helps to expand your listening if you're prepared to give some new bands a listen.

Try going to www.last.fm.

Once you register and download their player you can listen to loads of new music in all genres.

If you listen to mainstream crap well then you get what you deserve.

My guess is the state of music is the same as it always has been. You know, the more that things change........

Its probably a sign of middle to old age when you stop liking modern music or take the outlook that todays music scene is weak in comparison to those of past years. I think its human nature to bond with and appreciate the most, the music you were exposed to at a certain point in your life the most, like your teens or early 20's. I also think its important to be continually checking out new music.

I am 39 and think todays music is quite exciting particulary from a instrumental progressive rock standpoint. If nothing else, saying that modern music is inferior to yesterdays ensures that you will not see many concerts.

To think that the music of yesteryear is better makes about as much sense to me as saying the athletes back then were better. Its human nature to take it to the next level and I look forward to what the future has to bring.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 2 2005, 02:19 PM)
My guess is the state of music is the same as it always has been. You know, the more that things change........

Its probably a sign of middle to old age when you stop liking modern music or take the outlook that todays music scene is weak in comparison to those of past years. I think its human nature to bond with and appreciate the most, the music you were exposed to at a certain point in your life the most, like your teens or early 20's. I also think its important to be continually checking out new music.

I am 39 and think todays music is quite exciting particulary from a instrumental progressive rock standpoint. If nothing else, saying that modern music is inferior to yesterdays ensures that you will not see many concerts.

To think that the music of yesteryear is better makes about as much sense to me as saying the athletes back then were better.  Its human nature to take it to the next level and I look forward to what the future has to bring.

I see what you mean about middle age or old age and that being a reason people don't like newer music as much. But I don't agree with the athlete comparison. They have a lot more equipment to train and work out with now and athletes pay a lot more attention to diets and all that to get as strong as they possibly can. Not to mention there is a lot more people on earth to choose from than say 30-40 years ago. So I would have to say that athletes are for the most part stronger on average than they were years ago. Art/Music is different than athletes and how they can get stronger. You can teach someone everything about music and that still don't mean they are going to write good music. I know people who were trained in music and they know a lot about theory and they have the best equipment in the world and yet the music they play lacks feeling. You cannot teach FEEL.

I do agree that a lot of people are getting older and thats the reason they don't like newer music as much. That makes sense but the athlete comparison to musicians don't make sense to me.

I just think that music for the most part gets stale after a while when theres not really anything new that can be done anymore. It seems like everything has been done already and when I hear new music I hear a lot of people pretty much copying off of stuff that has already been done many times. You can only do something over and over so much before it becomes stale. If I was 20 years old again and never heard all the older music that had so much creativity then I would probably think that new music is just as good too. This is all peoples opinions though so no one can win an arguement like this, it's just how people think. You made a lot of sense when you talked about people getting old.

However I do think that the equipment used today compared to years ago is superior and it makes a lot of tunes sound more kick ass than a lot of older music. But still the creativity don't seem to be there and to me that is what it's all about. There are a lot of good bands out there now as many people are saying but I think the rock-n-roll peak is well passed it's peak. I just hope the musicians keep playing it and rap don't totally take over because that would be a damn shame. It seems like most younger kids love rap and the arenas have a hard time selling tickets to new rock and roll shows when they should be selling more than before because there is a lot more people on earth now than there were 20-30 years ago. Most shows that sell out quickly are the bigtime bands from yesterday like the Rolling Stones, U2, The Eagles, etc etc. I just hope rock-n-roll don't die off and it may because the kids and people who buy albums and go to concerts are more into rap than rock anymore. I cringe when I think of the music scene in 20 more years.

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 3 2005, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 2 2005, 02:19 PM)

To think that the music of yesteryear is better makes about as much sense to me as saying the athletes back then were better.  Its human nature to take it to the next level and I look forward to what the future has to bring.

I see what you mean about middle age or old age and that being a reason people don't like newer music as much. But I don't agree with the athlete comparison. They have a lot more equipment to train and work out with now and athletes pay a lot more attention to diets and all that to get as strong as they possibly can. Not to mention there is a lot more people on earth to choose from than say 30-40 years ago. So I would have to say that athletes are for the most part stronger on average than they were years ago. Art/Music is different than athletes and how they can get stronger. You can teach someone everything about music and that still don't mean they are going to write good music. I know people who were trained in music and they know a lot about theory and they have the best equipment in the world and yet the music they play lacks feeling. You cannot teach FEEL.

I do agree that a lot of people are getting older and thats the reason they don't like newer music as much. That makes sense but the athlete comparison to musicians don't make sense to me.

I just think that music for the most part gets stale after a while when theres not really anything new that can be done anymore. It seems like everything has been done already and when I hear new music I hear a lot of people pretty much copying off of stuff that has already been done many times. You can only do something over and over so much before it becomes stale. If I was 20 years old again and never heard all the older music that had so much creativity then I would probably think that new music is just as good too. This is all peoples opinions though so no one can win an arguement like this, it's just how people think. You made a lot of sense when you talked about people getting old.

However I do think that the equipment used today compared to years ago is superior and it makes a lot of tunes sound more kick ass than a lot of older music. But still the creativity don't seem to be there and to me that is what it's all about. There are a lot of good bands out there now as many people are saying but I think the rock-n-roll peak is well passed it's peak. I just hope the musicians keep playing it and rap don't totally take over because that would be a damn shame. It seems like most younger kids love rap and the arenas have a hard time selling tickets to new rock and roll shows when they should be selling more than before because there is a lot more people on earth now than there were 20-30 years ago. Most shows that sell out quickly are the bigtime bands from yesterday like the Rolling Stones, U2, The Eagles, etc etc. I just hope rock-n-roll don't die off and it may because the kids and people who buy albums and go to concerts are more into rap than rock anymore. I cringe when I think of the music scene in 20 more years.

You could take Tangdog's post and put my name on it cuz i feel exactly the same way. I swear i heard from my much older brothers how KISS was crap when I was growing up. That RUSH would never be as good as Procul Harem and that Iron Maiden would never amount to anything as big as The Dave Clark Five. Well... time shows that to be wrong, but even still they will not change their views, so obviously it's an age thing. I swore that would never happen to me. I consciously have seeked out new music that i find appealing. I have all the stuff in my collection from my youth and I love when it comes on shuffle on my computer. No doubt. I don't HATE older music, just bored with it. Sometimes Stairway comes on shuffle and I find myself still jamming along and really getting into it, but if it comes on the radio in the car, when i only have a certain amount of time to get somewhere, i change it and look for something NEW. Indy, i totally agree that there is a vast difference in the crap ratio today than there was say twenty years ago. That I blame on MTV and the industry as they have forced us to listen to so much crap that it eventually starts to sound good. I can state examples of this personally in my life. Something like say Eminem would come out. I hated it right? Then i start hearing it all the time. My kid buys the disc, it's on the radio, it's on mtv... everywhere i go... EMINEM is on. I start to subtley appreciate it and then I even begin to enjoy him and think he has a certain brilliance to his words. Then he faded nearly as fast as he came on the scene... FOR ME. I have no interest in anything he does now. He was a passing fancy for me and that occurs every so often. Certain genres will always be my favorite and I will always love my favorites I grew up with, but you won't see me putting on any Led Zeppelin or even KISS to often on purpose. If it shuffles on... fine, no problem, but if i'm grabbing a disc for the car, it's gonna be either Tool, APC, Breaking Benjamin, or Chevelle right now. A year ago it was KORN, Limp Bizkit, Manson, Disturbed. I keep changing. I hope I never get too stagnant in my appreciation of music to only listen to a certain era's worth of work. Maybe it's music that keeps me young. I dunno. 1022.gif

Makes sense. Everyone has some really great points about this. To be honest, I just want Rock Music to stick around for a while. Sometimes I wonder because of how much rap is played and how younger kids enjoy it so much but I think there will always be a place for good ol rock-n-roll and long live the new age rockers.

Just from reading a lot of the posts on this forum it seems to me that a lot of people hate more music than they like. I read a lot more bad stuff about music than I do good stuff about it anymore and that seems really strange but I guess people are pretty picky. It's hard for me to put down music that is selling millions of copies because it seems like SOMEONE likes it or else it wouldn't sell.

There are bands that I like a couple of their songs like for instant the Black Eyed Peas. I mean, I don't think they are "great musicians" or anything but a couple of the songs I heard from them are kind of catchy and I find myself singing them a couple hours later so I'm not sure if I like it or not, I guess I wouldn't be singing them if I didn't like em. Eh? I actually think some of the songs that I kind of like are pretty rediculous lol. It's hard to admit I even like them too. laugh.gif Music is weird like that.

All I ask is for people to keep on rocking, and keep putting out music that they like. If they like it enough to put it out, chances are other people will like it too. I love music laugh.gif

Sometimes I think that I'm just getting old. I thought that the first second that I started posting on this thread but I didn't really totally realize it until I saw someone else post it. They have a point, I am almost 40 years old.

OLD MAN!!!! Sometimes I think that part of my personality disorder that prevents me from seeing how big of a dick I am also prevents me from realizing that I am getting old too. I act like I am 12 years old sometimes but lets face it, I'm getting up there!!!

It's a very interesting perspective, that people like the music of their youth and think that newer music is crap compared to it. Obviously this is true much of the time, and kids listening to new music that their parents hate, thinking the music their parents listen to is old-fashioned is pretty well established as being a VERY common phenomena. This never applied exactly for me though.

I was born in 1969, and I would say my formative musical years, that is when I really became conscious of new music and was listening actively, was around 1977 through 1985 or so, that is from age 8 through 16. My first love was Kiss, and I later got seriously into heavy metal from the era. I also listened a lot to disco and then watched MTV incessantly growing up, but that kind of music was usually never anything I bought (save for the heavy metal part), but something I was just heavily exposed to and grew up with. Where I don't quite fit into that equation is that around 17 I started getting exposed to the Grateful Dead and late 60's psychedelic music. I started getting more and more into it until I abandoned heavy metal almost entirely. From there I discovered 70's progressive music (most of 1969-1975 or so) and got heavily into that. There's still a lot of heavy metal I liked, and I was still watching MTV pretty religiously into the mid 90's, as well as being exposed to a lot of more non-mainstream newer music through friends, etc.

The thing is, for me personally, I found what I considered (again, just MY opinion) to be the BEST music, and it was NOT the music I had grown up with, it was music that came out either before I was born or when I was a very young child when I had no exposure to it at the time. There have been sub-genres in 80's and 90's I got into too that I listen to sometimes, but my first love will always be that 1966-1976 period or so, not really fitting the pattern that I described above that is so common.

For a LONG, LONG time I kept waiting for the next musical revolution to occur like I believe it did during the late 60's and early 70's. For years and years I waited for the next renassince period, but after a long, long wait, I realized it wasn't coming and I couldn't even see it on the horizon. Again, no offense to anyone who disagrees as this is just my point of view, but if anything it just got worse and worse and worse and I gave up completely. For me there were literally THOUSANDS of albums from the period I did love that I'm still disocvering on a very regular basis that I enjoy tremendously, so as I stated before, I just don't have the energy to get out my shovel and dig for the good music that's doubtlessly still around today as I've been burned too many times, and the era that I do like is still so rich and vital and alive to me that I have no desire or need to look elsewhere. When the new music revolution DOES happen, please wake me up and let me know. People have told me before it was here, gave me some cd's and they just left me kind of cold.

I guess that's all just the beauty of humanity, our individuality. Though we get compared to sheep a lot, it's apparant that at least when it comes to music, we're definitely not mind controlled idiots. NOT US anyway. laugh.gif I think like Indy said, there's no way to argue that there must be some validity to what we think is crap since it's selling so much, but I just tend to think there's more of a media assault that practically TELLS the kids what to listen to these days, y'know? When I was a kid, you found out a new CD was coming out through magazines and hanging out in malls and record stores. We didn't have MTV and the internet pushing so many bands down our throats. Bands had to make it based on the validity of their music, which is OBVIOUSLY not the case today. I mean... even the bands that had an ACT or some kind of media hype, like say Cooper or Kiss, still had good music to back up their claim as being an act worth seeing. Now there are bands that make millions with absolutely no skills or real talent. I still feel that there is a lot of good stuff out there obviously as you've read my previous posts, but the fact that it has to compete with such a huge assortment of crap is what's killing music today. Weeds are choking the life from the good music and until we as a society react to this fact, nothing will change. I try to influence my kids. I stay open and listen to what they like and try to give it an honest shot, but I make sure they get doses of what I consider to be good too. Luckily my kids enjoy RUSH. All of them. My youngest is a true fan at the age of eleven, so i'm hoping that just being able to appreciate good music like RUSH can help him discern from a lot of crap that he's also exposed to. I know RUSH made me a musical snob. I think it's actually funny that anyone can be a RUSH fan and still like juvenile idiot crap like Aerosmith or Van Halen (lyrically). I'm not saying that sometimes i fall prey to certain pop crazes, but in most aspects I'm always looking for deeper, intelligent lyrics. Unfortunately there's not a lot of it to be found. When songs like MMMmm bop and anything by Backstreet Boys are what society as a whole is falling all over, it makes me wonder if ROCK will survive. Like you Indy, I sincerly hope so, but i'm a bit scared.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Dec 1 2005, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Dec 1 2005, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 1 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Dec 1 2005, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Dec 1 2005, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 27 2005, 01:58 PM)
And when someone asks me "what music I listen to"

my answer is "My favorite band is Rush, I like symphonic death metal, classic rock, indie synth rock, Johnny Cash, and Franz Ferdinand."

and people look at me funny and walk away...

Ok, I have to know, do you REALLY listen to Symphonic Death?

Nightwish is Symphonic metal...

and with lyrics like

You bastards tainted my tool

Raped my words, played me a fool

Gather your precious glitter and leave me be

The Great Ones are all dead

And I'm tired, too

I truly hate you all!

They are close enough to death metal for me to call them that.....

They aren't death metal though. The song Slaying the Dreamer that you quoted is Holopainen's way of lashing out at people who've ever stabbed him in the back or has ever betrayed him.

Kazz's right, lyrical themes don't really change genres.... and I can post some Death band lyrics that blow that shit away XD

I'd say Nightwish's musical style leans more towards power metal, but that's a judgement made from two songs, so I dunno.

If people liisten to the radio and don;t know who Rush is, they don't care about the difference between power metal and death metal is.

Yeah, but I'm an elitist, perfectionist bastard, so I DO care. tongue.gif