The Sorry State of Music These Days

ByWyzD

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay lol, now you are showing how true the original post from ByWyzD is. If this is the new top group..............................

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 24 2005, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 24 2005, 11:04 AM)
Next "big bands":
Coldplay?
The Killers?

Currently:
U2

coldplay?

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I don't think they're all that - but you can't deny they're not making it big. They're huge.

Yes. And that's the insanity of it all.

I think we should go out and bitch slap everyone who buys their crap.

"Here's your coldplay cd"

*Slap*

On the other hand, that may be a bit extreme.....

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 24 2005, 04:52 PM)
Next "big bands":
Coldplay?
The Killers?

Currently:
U2

coldplay?

I don't think they're all that - but you can't deny they're not making it big. They're huge.

Yes. And that's the insanity of it all.

I think we should go out and bitch slap everyone who buys their crap.

"Here's your coldplay cd"

*Slap*

On the other hand, that may be a bit extreme.....

I think thats a great Idea biggrin.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 24 2005, 11:26 AM)
Next "big bands":
Coldplay?
The Killers?

Currently:
U2

coldplay?

So many people in the music media are touting Coldplay as the next U2. I don't get it. I've tried to like them, but all I can think of when I listen to them is how incredibly overrated they are. confused13.gif

I think the lead singer is missing at least one ball......

All their stuff sounds the same.

Incidentally, in a recent Robert Plant interview he said *"Back in the 70s you had to be really good or else you'd end up being just another pop group like Coldplay"

*Much Music interview

Actually Martin is probably missing both of them. In last month's 'Q' magazine, there is an article on rock's biggest bedwetters. Martin ranks high on the list because he went through an entire box of tissues after reading a harsh review of a Coldplay album. What a total girlie-man.

The feeling I get is that back in the mid 1990s, I was able to hear great new bands back to back on the radio, like Tool and Metallica, and I'd end up picking more than a few new CDs up, basically whenever I have the money. Nowadays, most bands are so weak on the radio that I have no such desire to find out more or take a chance. I don't think it's so much about having to be told what to like, but rather that the radio makes it much easier to be exposed to new music.

I don't have much desire to scrape the entire underground scene for new music. Nor do I wish to look by certain categories. I got so sick of heavy metal because it became so fractitious genre-wise. I just like to hear music where a band gets together, pools their individual talents, plugs into loud amps, and cranks the volume up to 11. Bands who aren't afraid to do what they want and throw their weight around when the execs start breathing down their neck are rarer than ever, these days.

Even as recently as 2001, I was listening regularly to the radio, and was on rare occasions rewarded with discovering a band like System of a Down, but within the last few years, I have been so disgusted with the radio that I only listen to it for morning talk-shows. I'm glad I have a good CD player in my car.

I do love how most of the stuff I listen to is rather modern, and I have yet to hear any of it on the radio.

The killers are a great band...with two really bad singles...the two worst songs on their album are their singles.

I don't list to the radio often but I haven't heard a single song off Franz Ferdinand's new album on the radio. I have however heard the same Fall out boy song 30 times.

It's a pity it isn't a fad to be goth instead of emo. Nightiwsh, Kamelot, and dream evil just knock my socks off with every song.

Whatever happened to Jet? They were a decent band, kinda sounded like the beatles but a great band.

Also Bloc Party, Kaiser Cheifs and Louis XIV, alll great bands, but there's no real emotion there... their music is just fun to listen to.

There is no real band that could carry our music generation. There is however, if you like the overhard emo subgenre, a ton of bands with decent singles.

Alot of my peers have 1 or 2 songs from one band, and end up having like 150 favorite bands or sumthing like that.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 25 2005, 02:35 PM)
I do love how most of the stuff I listen to is rather modern, and I have yet to hear any of it on the radio.

The killers are a great band...with two really bad singles...the two worst songs on their album are their singles.

I don't list to the radio often but I haven't heard a single song off Franz Ferdinand's new album on the radio. I have however heard the same Fall out boy song 30 times.

It's a pity it isn't a fad to be goth instead of emo. Nightiwsh, Kamelot, and dream evil just knock my socks off with every song.

Whatever happened to Jet? They were a decent band, kinda sounded like the beatles but a great band.

Also Bloc Party, Kaiser Cheifs and Louis XIV, alll great bands, but there's no real emotion there... their music is just fun to listen to.

There is no real band that could carry our music generation. There is however, if you like the overhard emo subgenre, a ton of bands with decent singles.

Alot of my peers have 1 or 2 songs from one band, and end up having like 150 favorite bands or sumthing like that.

There was a goth subculture that was fairly predominant when I was in High School, mostly kids that grew up listening to NIN and Marilyn Manson. There also is a small resurgance of goth making its way back, check out bands like She Wants Revenge or Catholic Comb. As for Jet, I saw them a few months ago when they opened up for Oasis, but I just couldnt get into them. That one song they do with the cartoon animals in thier videop sounds WAY too much like The Beatles song "Golden Slumbers" off Abbey Road.

A lot of the bands you are talking about make up the playlist of the alternative station I listen to in San Francisco. Its too bad they dont do any kind of streaming of thier songs though, cuz on Sunday's they do this one show called soundcheck, whose entire purpose is to play music you have never heard before. I wrote a thread about it for the show a couple weeks ago, link. I didnt update it last week though cuz I think I was out that night, but next week I will update it again. That show is a really good place to hear cutting edge, GOOD, music.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 25 2005, 05:35 PM)

"So, what music do you listen to?"

"Uh.. just... ya know... whatever comes on the radio..."

"*Slap*"

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 25 2005, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 25 2005, 05:35 PM)

"So, what music do you listen to?"

"Uh.. just... ya know... whatever comes on the radio..."

"*Slap*"

I HATE THAT!!!

"I dunno...random stuff, nothing special..."

These are the people that get the f***ing 60GB video iPods for Christmas.

I was thinking of getting the 60 GB iPod, but after burning my whole CD collection to iTunes, I only have about 14.77 GB. I've spent the last 7 years buying music and only have 14.77 GB, I cant fill one of those things up. How can these kids who are getting them for X-mas possibly fill 60GB?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2005, 06:31 PM)
I was thinking of getting the 60 GB iPod, but after burning my whole CD collection to iTunes, I only have about 14.77 GB. I've spent the last 7 years buying music and only have 14.77 GB, I cant fill one of those things up. How can these kids who are getting them for X-mas possibly fill 60GB?

Video

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2005, 08:31 PM)

Probably because they're rich spoiled brats who want one to say they have it...

Exactly. And whenever someone I'm talking to has one, I always ask to look at it. And when I am browsing artists, I always get sort of hopeful because I see some good bands like the Who and the Beatles and Zeppelin and Floyd, but then I look and they only have Stairway from Zep, Comfortably Numb from Floyd, etc etc etc, and they have maybe 700 songs on the damn thing.

For the record, I have enough music on my iTunes to fill the 30GB with a little bit left over, so that means by default I SHOULD get the 60. But I don't have one...Sad.

Yeah we get iPods returned at work all the time and sometimes I go through them. I see like a hundred artists..... and 1 or 2 songs by them. Sure videos will take up a lot of space, but why waste that much space and battery life watching a video when you could fit 10+ songs with the same amount of space.

I use a CD player and a stack of burned CD's....

An ipod would be nice...

And when someone asks me "what music I listen to"

my answer is "My favorite band is Rush, I like symphonic death metal, classic rock, indie synth rock, Johnny Cash, and Franz Ferdinand."

and people look at me funny and walk away...

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 27 2005, 10:58 AM)

An ipod would be nice...

my answer is "My favorite band is Rush, I like symphonic death metal, classic rock, indie synth rock, Johnny Cash, and Franz Ferdinand."

same here...except they go..."Whats rush?"

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2005, 10:44 AM)

An ipod would be nice...

OH MAN...

And then I have to explain and people get bored.

Hey, they asked...

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2005, 10:44 AM)

An ipod would be nice...

OH MAN...

And then I have to explain and people get bored.

Hey, they asked...

hahaha Same here!