The Sorry State of Music These Days

ByWyzD

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see all your points and I believe that we all agree.

The industry is geared solely to money, if you look good you can sell. Its not about musicianship and furthering good music, again its all about the money.

It is possible to find great bands but unfortunately you do have to find it. Those are the bands that have a bunch of albums out, been on the scene for years but exist because they have, like Rush, a loyal fan base. They just dont sell out arenas but the clubs are always full. A great example would be The Weakerthans.

The music industry has changed what qualifies as good music. They are the promoters, they find the next big thing, its just unfortunate that many of these musicians, and those that arent even, continually let the industry do this because they are interested in the money. These bands want to make it big but dont realize that by doing so they are selling not only themselves out but music itself.

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 23 2005, 11:45 AM)
I see all your points and I believe that we all agree.

The industry is geared solely to money, if you look good you can sell. Its not about musicianship and furthering good music, again its all about the money.

It is possible to find great bands but unfortunately you do have to find it. Those are the bands that have a bunch of albums out, been on the scene for years but exist because they have, like Rush, a loyal fan base. They just dont sell out arenas but the clubs are always full. A great example would be The Weakerthans.

The music industry has changed what qualifies as good music. They are the promoters, they find the next big thing, its just unfortunate that many of these musicians, and those that arent even, continually let the industry do this because they are interested in the money. These bands want to make it big but dont realize that by doing so they are selling not only themselves out but music itself.

totally agree...and Yeah I agree on the Weakerthans! BIG fan base biggrin.gif

I agree with everything about the industry and what "popular music" has unfortunately become. But to say there's no good music out there today is way off base. I honestly can't listen to the same stuff over and over. The remark that Stairway still gets played on the radio is something that irks me to no end. Not only does the industry suck, but radio doesn't help by constantly playing these "time honored classics". Yeah... zep doesn't have any new stuff... but RUSH does. When does your rock stations play One Little Victory or hell for that matter... ANYTHING after Moving Pictures? There's two stations around here worth any time and one plays "classic rock" and I usually won't listen to it since i've grown with that old crap and other than RUSH, couldn't care less about hearing one more Stairway or Freebird. There's a lot of modern stuff out there that's brilliant. TOOL and A PERFECT CIRCLE come to mind immediately for me. Talk about musicians learning their crafts and having CHOPS. Danny Carey, no matter what band this board is devoted to, may be the greatest drummer alive. Justin and Adam are no slouches at their respective instruments either and MAYNARD... probably the best male vocalist of all time IMHO. His other band APC, is just as accomplished on their instruments and the songwriting of both bands is phenomenal. I think there's a lot of stuff out there that will knock your socks off if you're not convinced that STAIRWAY is the end all of good music. And as far as the local bar scene... HELL YEAH. My area alone has produced some major bands. The Alex Lifeson produced LIFER... that i'm amazed not many of you have heard, and BREAKING BENJAMIN who are on the track to stardom now. All good stuff. More of it out there, but i mentioning it all would be too long-winded EVEN FOR ME. Just check out some of the bands that are mentioned in here. I did with Nightwish and now have a new band i'm really into. Lock those OLLLLDDDD tired Zep albums away and give something else a shot. You'll be glad you did.

The days of the big arena filling bands making incredible music I think have died out. Before the record industry realized just how marketable a commodety it was to take a band and make them huge, there were bands that were doing this that were genuinely trying to make decent music. Come on, when the Beatles started out, they werent thinking of how they could make a million dollars in a record deal, they were just making music and happened to get huge. Once the money aspect plagued its way into the creative portion of music, thats when it began its decline.

As far as good new music goes, there is still some, but none of it will ever gain the same mythical stature that bands like Led Zepellin, The Who, Pink Floyd experienced. That way of creating music has been done, and music is an ever-changing thing. What I see at least is a great deal of small bands that dont get any notice at all outside of thier core fanbase that make good music. The amount of bands seems to be growing, at least to me as I become more aware of what is going on too.

The problem with music today is that the industry is looking for the next big band or singer in music. This will not ever happen again, or if a band/singer does get big, they are forgotten 5 years down the road. There will never be another Beatles, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.. Music has moved on.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 23 2005, 12:56 PM)
I agree with everything about the industry and what "popular music" has unfortunately become. But to say there's no good music out there today is way off base. I honestly can't listen to the same stuff over and over. The remark that Stairway still gets played on the radio is something that irks me to no end. Not only does the industry suck, but radio doesn't help by constantly playing these "time honored classics". Yeah... zep doesn't have any new stuff... but RUSH does. When does your rock stations play One Little Victory or hell for that matter... ANYTHING after Moving Pictures? There's two stations around here worth any time and one plays "classic rock" and I usually won't listen to it since i've grown with that old crap and other than RUSH, couldn't care less about hearing one more Stairway or Freebird. There's a lot of modern stuff out there that's brilliant. TOOL and A PERFECT CIRCLE come to mind immediately for me. Talk about musicians learning their crafts and having CHOPS. Danny Carey, no matter what band this board is devoted to, may be the greatest drummer alive. Justin and Adam are no slouches at their respective instruments either and MAYNARD... probably the best male vocalist of all time IMHO. His other band APC, is just as accomplished on their instruments and the songwriting of both bands is phenomenal. I think there's a lot of stuff out there that will knock your socks off if you're not convinced that STAIRWAY is the end all of good music. And as far as the local bar scene... HELL YEAH. My area alone has produced some major bands. The Alex Lifeson produced LIFER... that i'm amazed not many of you have heard, and BREAKING BENJAMIN who are on the track to stardom now. All good stuff. More of it out there, but i mentioning it all would be too long-winded EVEN FOR ME. Just check out some of the bands that are mentioned in here. I did with Nightwish and now have a new band i'm really into. Lock those OLLLLDDDD tired Zep albums away and give something else a shot. You'll be glad you did.

I DEFINATLY agree with you here, in regards to classic rock stations playing the same songs. Yeah, all those bands that you hear on classic rock radio are great, but the stations are dooming themselves and the music if they honestly think they can continue to play the same music day after day, year after year. I used to listen to nothing but classic rock for years, but after a while I began to notice I was listening to the same group of bands, and the same group of songs repeatedly. They found a way to turn the incredible music of the past into something I cant stand to listen to anymore through repetition. It almost seems like the industry realized it missed out on fully capitalizing on a lot of those previous bands, so its trying to make up for it now by giving it constant airplay.

THERE IS SUCH A THING AS NEW GOOD MUSIC!! You dont HAVE to go through the same old bands every day.

I don't see where music has "moved on" or changed much either. A lot of the hits are songs that have been redone. I haven't heard anything in a long time that sounds like something I never heard before. There's some unique bands but not many. Not many that are awesome I mean. Maybe I am just burnt out on most music because I been around rock music so long. I don't know. I do think the music of the 70's and 80's is better than just about anything out now. I think a lot of kids growing up play x-box and playstation 2 more than an instrument. I also think the stuff that most younger musicians are influenced by is crap music so they also put out crap music. It's like a vicious cycle of shit.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 23 2005, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 23 2005, 12:56 PM)
I agree with everything about the industry and what "popular music" has unfortunately become.  But to say there's no good music out there today is way off base.  I honestly can't listen to the same stuff over and over.  The remark that Stairway still gets played on the radio is something that irks me to no end.  Not only does the industry suck, but radio doesn't help by constantly playing these "time honored classics".  Yeah... zep doesn't have any new stuff... but RUSH does.  When does your rock stations play One Little Victory or hell for that matter... ANYTHING after Moving Pictures?  There's two stations around here worth any time and one plays "classic rock" and I usually won't listen to it since i've grown with that old crap and other than RUSH, couldn't care less about hearing one more Stairway or Freebird.  There's a lot of modern stuff out there that's brilliant.  TOOL and A PERFECT CIRCLE come to mind immediately for me.  Talk about musicians learning their crafts and having CHOPS.  Danny Carey, no matter what band this board is devoted to, may be the greatest drummer alive.  Justin and Adam are no slouches at their respective instruments either and MAYNARD... probably the best male vocalist of all time IMHO.  His other band APC, is just as accomplished on their instruments and the songwriting of both bands is phenomenal.  I think there's a lot of stuff out there that will knock your socks off if you're not convinced that STAIRWAY is the end all of good music.  And as far as the local bar scene... HELL YEAH.  My area alone has produced some major bands.  The Alex Lifeson produced LIFER... that i'm amazed not many of you have heard, and BREAKING BENJAMIN who are on the track to stardom now.  All good stuff.  More of it out there, but i mentioning it all would be too long-winded EVEN FOR ME.  Just check out some of the bands that are mentioned in here.  I did with Nightwish and now have a new band i'm really into.  Lock those OLLLLDDDD tired Zep albums away and give something else a shot.  You'll be glad you did.

I DEFINATLY agree with you here, in regards to classic rock stations playing the same songs. Yeah, all those bands that you hear on classic rock radio are great, but the stations are dooming themselves and the music if they honestly think they can continue to play the same music day after day, year after year. I used to listen to nothing but classic rock for years, but after a while I began to notice I was listening to the same group of bands, and the same group of songs repeatedly. They found a way to turn the incredible music of the past into something I cant stand to listen to anymore through repetition. It almost seems like the industry realized it missed out on fully capitalizing on a lot of those previous bands, so its trying to make up for it now by giving it constant airplay.

THERE IS SUCH A THING AS NEW GOOD MUSIC!! You dont HAVE to go through the same old bands every day.

I'm not advocating that people keep their head in the sand and only listen to music from the past. I used the Stairway To Heaven reference to illustrate the longevity of some of the creations from bands in the past. This, I believe, is a tribute to the quality of these creations and the impressions they made upon people. I get sick of hearing Stairway as much as the next guy, and I get really tired of the fact that radio station playlists only include a few Rush songs that everyone had heard a million times and they don't delve any deeper into the Rush catalog. My local classic rock station rotates the same 40 or so songs it seems and while most of them are true classics, you can only hear them so many times before you burn out on them. That's why I have XM radio and have a huge choice of styles and genres of music. I'm just as likely to hear something from Caress of Steel as I am to hear something from Led Zeppelin 4.

The whole point of this thread was to demonstrate what mainstream music has become. It's not about the music as much as the show. And talent is hard to come by. It's not that it isn't out there, it just doesn't pay like some of the crap.

As someone who was vehemently closed minded to ONLY metal at one time of my life, it's hard to see myself writing this, but at some point I started giving other stuff a chance. Just recently I've grown fond of some "classic" stuff, particularly the Stones and the Who. But I have what i want to hear at home. When i'm in the car, it would be good to hear modern rock. We had a good station for awhile, but of course they got a program director who saw more money with playing classic rock, so they started weeding it in and now it's about fifty fifty. Now the only modern rock you hear is the top forty crap like that band Chad Kroeger sings for... can't think of their name now. You don't hear any Manson, or even Korn anymore. If it ROCKED... it's gone. They are so lame now. Once in awhile at night, they might play some Chevelle but only the MTV hits that made their first album so big and not anything off their latest and remarkably BRILLIANT album. And as far as Tool goes... it's like RUSH. They only seem to have two songs. Sober and Aenima. It gets really disgusting. Once I get my new car, i will definitely get XM. I loved having the satellite radio stuff on my tv with my cable too. You get turned on to new bands that way. I love it. I just wouldn't say that MUSIC is in a sad state, but the business of music. Rush nailed it years ago with Spirit of Radio.

The Arcade Fire

Arcturus

At the Drive-In

Borknagar

The Bravery

Coheed and Cambria

Cryptopsy

Dave Matthews Band

Death Cab For Cutie

Depeche Mode

The Dissociatives

HORSE the Band

Incubus

The Mars Volta

Nine Inch Nails

Opeth

Porcupine Tree

The Postal Service

Radiohead

Ron Jarzombek

Silverchair

Spastic Ink

Tool

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 23 2005, 05:28 PM)
The Arcade Fire
Arcturus
At the Drive-In
Borknagar
The Bravery
Coheed and Cambria
Cryptopsy
Dave Matthews Band
Death Cab For Cutie
Depeche Mode
The Dissociatives
HORSE the Band
Incubus
The Mars Volta
Nine Inch Nails
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
The Postal Service
Radiohead
Ron Jarzombek
Silverchair
Spastic Ink
Tool

Just a couple of things related to this thread.

A: I didn't watch all of the music awards but don't think many of the bands on this list were on the show. That's the point I was trying to make

B: On my way to work today Time Stand Still was playing on my XM radio. As I was leaving work to go to the theater Digital Man came on XM. On my way home from the movie, 2112 came on. That's the beauty of not having to listen to radio stations all the time.

In other words, great music isn't being put out for us to hear because there is a lack of people who are willing to PAY money to buy the records? So in other words the PEOPLE listening to music has changed and not the music itself. Because if more people were willing to pay for CD's and go to concerts of bands that make great music then there would be a bigger markeT.

I am sorry but I don't buy that bunch of horse shit. People are BEGGIN for good music but what do we have? A bunch of comertial crap. Then you have killer bands like S.O.A.D and people are listening to industrial crap keyboard fake music that all sounds the same like NIN or something. I agree that there is SOME good music out there but until people start supporting the shit then most will never be heard. I know bands personally that play small bars all the time that sound better than most shit that is popular. The people buying records these days just don't know what good music is or more good music would be popular instead of the crap thats popular now. I agree that there are good bands out there but they just aren't popular, whos fault is that? Think about it. I think the music listeners are partly to blame. People like bullshit music anymore.

If flocks of people were standing in line to buy the next great music, do you think it's out there? Well if it is, and so many people are wanting to support it, then why the hell don't the record companies realize this and sign some good bands instead of the bullshit crappy no talent music that we hear on the radios.

I think that theres not that much new good music, because they pushed kid rock rap type bullshit on the younger crowd and that is what they listen to so that is what they try to copy. Like I said its a vicious cycle of shit. It pisses me off but you can't make people like cool music.

Edited by Indica

Indica's totally right on that the tastes of the youth have changed. My kids would rather pay 60 bux for a video game than go to a concert. I take my boys to as many cool concerts as i can, but the ticket prices are unreal. This is why i am a supporter of file sharing. They want to charge an astronomical price for an item that costs under a dollar to make, then it had better have a bunch of good songs for me to buy it. And if they're gonna charge over a hundred bux to see them live, they better f***ing play a good show. But no.. thanks to the little pissant Ulrich, no longer do we have free downloads, well... not worry free downloads anyway. If I hear a good song or two, i'll support a new band. I would never run out and buy a NightWish cd, but thanks to a few file shares with someone on here who shall remain Kazzless... i mean nameless... i will now purchase at least two of their cd's. It is a vicious circle, but the industry and the artists have the power to change it. Stop promoting the fifty cents and other talentless hip hop and country artists and develop some of the good rock that is still out there. The industry capitalizes on the fact that we are basically a brain dead, will listen to whatever they play race of people. Until we, as the music consumers stop buying it... there's nothing to really complain about is there? Wish i had an answer, but i don't think there is one.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 12:43 PM)
I suspect most people like to be told what is good.

Sheep. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/noangry.gif

I think that applies to many of today's teens, certainly. Kids like what their friends like (sometimes just to fit in), which is what the radio stations tell them to like, which is that the record companies tell the stations to play...

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 24 2005, 11:04 AM)
Next "big bands":
Coldplay?
The Killers?

Currently:
U2

coldplay?

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

So many people in the music media are touting Coldplay as the next U2. I don't get it. I've tried to like them, but all I can think of when I listen to them is how incredibly overrated they are. confused13.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 24 2005, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 24 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 24 2005, 11:04 AM)
Next "big bands":
Coldplay?
The Killers?

Currently:
U2

coldplay?

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

So many people in the music media are touting Coldplay as the next U2. I don't get it. I've tried to like them, but all I can think of when I listen to them is how incredibly overrated they are. confused13.gif

I think the lead singer is missing at least one ball......

All their stuff sounds the same.

Incidentally, in a recent Robert Plant interview he said *"Back in the 70s you had to be really good or else you'd end up being just another pop group like Coldplay"

*Much Music interview

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 24 2005, 01:26 PM)

In this statement you have exactly why they are being compared to U2. OVERRATED. I don't hate U2, but they remind me of Aerosmith in the fact that one day they decided that their music wasn't going to have any significance and not measure up to anything they did previously. I have their greatest hits package that only chronicles their first wave of music up to the 90's. I have no need for volume 2 cuz I think it's all crap. And that's the only version of U2 that Coldplay could possibly be being compared to. IMHO.