The Sorry State of Music These Days

ByWyzD

I'm at work and we have the TV's on in the bar and the Music Awards are on. It makes me sad to see the sorry state of music in this day and age. All you need to do is sample someone else's music, jabber along to it and you are a star. While I realize that there are still some great bands bringing out music, the majority of the music is just sh*t. There are no more Rushs, Led Zeppelins, Pink Floyds, Bostons, etc. Whatever happened to learning an instrument, perfecting your craft, writing meaningful lyrics and creating great songs. All I know is that I'm glad I grew up in the 70's and 80's when their were still musicians and true artists. Just my humble opinion.....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ByWyzD @ Nov 22 2005, 09:43 PM)
I'm at work and we have the TV's on in the bar and the Music Awards are on. It makes me sad to see the sorry state of music in this day and age. All you need to do is sample someone else's music, jabber along to it and you are a star. While I realize that there are still some great bands bringing out music, the majority of the music is just sh*t. There are no more Rushs, Led Zeppelins, Pink Floyds, Bostons, etc. Whatever happened to learning an instrument, perfecting your craft, writing meaningful lyrics and creating great songs. All I know is that I'm glad I grew up in the 70's and 80's when their were still musicians and true artists. Just my humble opinion.....

How profound of you to say that.

If you were a "musician" by today's standards, you would have plagarized those words from someone else, claimed them as your own, and reaped even more benefits from all of us who read it thinking you are a superstar, even though we heard guy you stole it from say it 10 years ago.

I'm with you, man.

The majority of the talent level out there is about a 5 on a scale of 0 to 100, and the funny thing is, it doesn't pay to be good at it anymore. Excellent musicians don't make it anymore.

Look at rock star INXS.

There were 10 people who were voted off that show that were better all around talent than the guy they hired.

I wish i'd have known 20 years ago when I sarted playing music that it would boil down to that.....I wouldn't have bothered working at getting my chops up.

I would have spent what little talent I have instead collecting old albums for ripping the music into a dance track.

And if i could say something over the top of that that was socially unacceptable, grammatically incorrect, and at the same time make up a new language to get around the laws that are designed to FORCE you to have some integrity in your lyrics, I'd be a superstar.

*steps off soapbox*

*nods at ByWyzD*

*apologizes*

trink39.gif

There is a lot of good stuff out there today.

Just because you don't hear it on the radio and the ridiculous "music" tv shows, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.If you keep looking at the radio, record companies and MTV for the next Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush etc., good luck wink.gif

Oh and the INXS bullshit? First, since when is a "rock star" the greatest vocalist? There is a lot more to the band than a good voice. If you are using that as a yard stick, the critics would have dumped Geddy long ago.

Second, INXS is targeting the MTV audience, so who really gives a shit what they play or who they have sing? They were a mediocre band in the first place.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 22 2005, 11:18 PM)
the critics would have dumped Geddy long ago.

They were a mediocre band in the first place.

On the first part....

you're making my point.

The Mainstream pretty much did.

On the second.....

You're making my point again...

INXS was huge.....and can you tell me why?

QUOTE (Geds @ Nov 22 2005, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 22 2005, 11:18 PM)
the critics would have dumped Geddy long ago.

They were a mediocre band in the first place.

On the first part....

you're making my point.

The Mainstream pretty much did.

On the second.....

You're making my point again...

INXS was huge.....and can you tell me why?

Second, INXS is targeting the MTV audience, so who really gives a shit what they play or who they have sing?

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 23 2005, 01:12 AM)
The good music is in the basement bars...it's underground. Check out your local bands...You will find good stuff.

Also check out www.garageband.com and you will find some good stuff on there. It's all unsigned bands putting music on this website for people to review. The people have a chance to win a recording contract but if nothing else it's getting your music heard by many people that can give you constuctive critisizm which SOMETIMES can help new artists.

I heard some music that I totally love on there but you do have to listen to a lot of crap. These are songs you can never hear without this site. It's pretty cool I think.

For those who may have missed my point, I'm not trying to start a board war.

I for one agree with Dweezil that INXS is a crappy band. WHO WENT PURPOSEFULLY LOOKING FOR A CRAPPY SINGER. And found one. But here's the sad part that ByWyzD was commenting on, and the part that irks me as well:

70% of America watched that show and cheered for the idiot that won.

People like my boss, Joe Average, think they are great and support bands like them. That IS the mainstream. My boss likes to believe he is intelligent...BUT WON'T GIVE RUSH A CHANCE.

Use INXS or anyone like them as a yardstick to measure what's out there?

I never did.

The fact that I am even HERE should be an indication that I am more enlightened than Joe Average when it comes to music.

ByWyzD was making the point, and I agree, that really good music IS NO LONGER the norm.

Really good bands who write and play really good music have to be SOUGHT OUT .

You NEVER turn on the radio and "stumble" onto the next musical icon anymore.

It all went to shit for me one day when I turned on the T.V. and saw Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett of Metallica onstage doing a rap version of a METALLICA song with....

Kid Rock.

And everyone in the audience was loving it.

I thought it was disgusting.

I know there is good music out there.

It's just that most people are too lazy to go find it, or just don't give a damn about the integrity of what they are listening to, so they inadvertently end up supporting eminem and fiddycent instead of the next "musical yardstick".

So the "common" stuff ends up being crap.

I'm sorry if anything I said offended ANYONE.

But I am a musician who spent YEARS trying to be the best I can....and even those who are PHENOMENAL (phenomenal does not describe me) can't get a fair shake.

I thought your point was well made, ByWyzD, and as you can see, I totally agree with it. cool.gif

*edited to fix a horrible misspelling of "phenomenal".*

Edited by Geds

I 100% agree with this Geds....

There are no bands of stature or merit out there now.

The "Great Ones" will soon just be carried around in our brains and hearts.....kinda makes you feel old, eh? We are the ones who will be walking around saying, "I remember when...."

I don't think I explained myself previously.

It's not the lack of good music out there, it's the industry. The industry is geared to making money and are shoveling crap on television which appears to be the main source that the younger generation taps into. Style and looks sell on television obviously. Content is secondary.

Do you think Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan etc are attractive? Face it. If you're an ugly rocker/singer/band and you don't have the cash to put up a fantastic video full of near-naked women or special effects, you don't get the air time.

Having said all that, there has always been crap music that made it big out there. Tip Toe through The Tulips (Tiny TIm) comes to mind.

One hopes with the advent of the computer and resultant software and networking through the internet, bands/musicians are able to mix and produce their own music and distribute online. I've heard some fantastic bands/musicians that I would have never been exposed to had it not been for the internet.

*edit

I recall an interview with Geddy where he stated that had Rush started out now, they would have never made it. SOmething to do with the chance to make mistakes and experiment. (Whether this was through the record company or just touring, I don't recall)

Also, take Canada. Huge country right? Lots of people. Problem is, we never get any bands touring here. Toronto, yes. The rest of the country, no. It's damn dead here.

Edited by dweezil

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 23 2005, 09:49 AM)
It's not the lack of good music out there, it's the industry. The industry is geared to making money and are shoveling crap on television which appears to be the main source that the younger generation taps into. Style and looks sell on television obviously. Content is secondary.

Exactly. That's why I said "popular music scene." The music that's popular and making money right now blows, and the talented bands are getting buried.

I have a magazine around here somewhere with a good article about this, and I'll try and dig it up later tonight.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 23 2005, 07:59 AM)

Exactly. That's why I said "popular music scene." The music that's popular and making money right now blows, and the talented bands are getting buried.

I have a magazine around here somewhere with a good article about this, and I'll try and dig it up later tonight.

I bet you are a closet Tiny Tim fan.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 23 2005, 10:01 AM)

Sorry ma'am...I don't own a ukelele...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 23 2005, 08:02 AM)

tongue.gif

So you say......

laugh.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 23 2005, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 23 2005, 08:02 AM)

tongue.gif

So you say......

laugh.gif

"Tiptoe, through the..." bolt.gif

I think there is some good and interesting music these days. If you think you'll find it on the popular radio stations, though, you're sorrily mistaken. Popular music has rarely been interesting. As far as all the great bands of yesteryear like Rush, Zep..., It's already been done, however great it is...

QUOTE (Geds @ Nov 23 2005, 08:50 AM)
For those who may have missed my point, I'm not trying to start a board war.

ByWyzD was making the point, and I agree, that really good music IS NO LONGER the norm.
Really good bands who write and play really good music have to be SOUGHT OUT .
You NEVER turn on the radio and "stumble" onto the next musical icon anymore.

I know there is good music out there.
It's just that most people are too lazy to go find it, or just don't give a damn about the integrity of what they are listening to, so they inadvertently end up supporting eminem and fiddycent instead of the next "musical yardstick".

So the "common" stuff ends up being crap.

Wow, I didn't think this thread would get that much response.

Geds understands the point I was trying to make and I can't really put it any better than he already has. I quoted some of his key points.

I realize there is still good stuff out there if you go looking for it. Just watching the Music Awards and realizing what was main stream was sickening.

All I know is that 30 years later I still can hear Stairway to Heaven on the radio and probably will be able to hear it 30 years from now. Can you name much modern music that can claim the same?