Ren......the most talented artist I have heard in years.

Fridge

Yep. Heartbreaking story. Found by by a Sony talent scout when busking at 19 yrs old. Signed, and begins working on a debut album. Starts having debilitating health problems that halt the recording of his album. Long story short, he spends most of the next 7 years bed bound and only making music in his bedroom when he felt well enough which wasn't that often. Basically gets diagnosis of Chronic fatigue and psychosis.

7 years later he he was diagnosed with Lyme disease which ran unabated for 7 years. Doing massive damage to his immune system and brain. A stem cell transplant finally gave him enough improvement to work on his music again. But the damage to his body remains. He is currently in Canada receiving intensive treatments to rebuild his immune system and help reverse the damage to his brain.

Knowing he would be in Canada for up to a year, in 2022 he recorded 2 albums worth of music. One hip hop/rap album, and one with more conventional song. He's currently releasing his rap type stuff about once a month and it's been really great.

Here's a couple of favorites from his recent past that I think are great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fridge said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren_(British_musician)

Just recently come across this guy and didn't find a thread about him.

He is absolutely astonishing and genre defining and I thoroughly recommend checking him out

I've watched that video several times since it was released a few months ago and meant to post it here, but never got around to it, so thank you Fridge. You have to respect a person who can turn their hardship into a therapeutic form of art.

Elizabeth from The Charismatic Voice did a nice reaction and vocal analysis of this song.

• Like 2

Yep, he's a fantastic song writer. Pretty much nothing he can't do genre wise. Even though I'm not a big fan of hip hop my favorite songs from him are those. Great lyricts who is very clever and puts thought into what he's going to say.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fridge said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren_(British_musician)

Just recently come across this guy and didn't find a thread about him.

He is absolutely astonishing and genre defining and I thoroughly recommend checking him out

Yeah, I stumbled across this guy a while ago (I think on Justin Hawkins Rides Again youtube site). Astounding.

7 hours ago, treeduck said:

Is it heavy metal?? :zalice:

Possibly heavy mental

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I'm going to like it, it's going to be an acquired taste.  Definitely oozing raw talent.  For now, not doing a lot for me.  I've listen to a lot of music over the years, so hard for me to get onboard any hype trains anymore.  To my ears, most musicians are derivative at this point, so it comes down to finding the ones less derivative and more appealing to my specific tastes.  Anyway, it's a solid suggestion as he's clearly less derivative than most new/fresh acts.  The back story is sad, hopefully he pulls out of it (lyme can be horrible for the survivor) and can hit me with something that sticks.

20 hours ago, stoopid said:

If I'm going to like it, it's going to be an acquired taste.  Definitely oozing raw talent.  For now, not doing a lot for me.  I've listen to a lot of music over the years, so hard for me to get onboard any hype trains anymore.  To my ears, most musicians are derivative at this point, so it comes down to finding the ones less derivative and more appealing to my specific tastes.  Anyway, it's a solid suggestion as he's clearly less derivative than most new/fresh acts.  The back story is sad, hopefully he pulls out of it (lyme can be horrible for the survivor) and can hit me with something that sticks.

It wasn't just that he had Lyme disease, it's that it went undiagnosed and the doctors thought he had something else and were treating him for something he didn't have. That did double the damage to his body and brain.

Edited by J2112YYZ

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It wasn't just that he had Lyme disease, it's that it went undiagnosed and the doctors thought he had something else and were treating him for something he didn't have. That did double the damage to his body and brain.

Yes, I understand.  I had a friend with undiagnosed lyme.  I've had lyme myself, bulleye rash was the clue and I immediately got on antibiotics.  No issues related to it since.  Where I lived in the northeast US lyme is becoming worryingly prevalent because the weather is turning increasingly favorable for ticks, which carry it.