_hi_water._ ranks all 173 Rush songs

_hi_water._

55 minutes ago, grep said:

My prediction - Tai-Shan is going to be #2, with Cinderfella Man getting the top spot.

And Madigral number 3, I think I’m going Bald # 4 ? 🤣

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

171. "Bravest Face," Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows - Entry 1 out of 13

The 'filler' tracks, which should've been trimmed off of Snakes & Arrows - were very dull. They all felt like mid-tempo jam sessions that almost anyone could've wrote. "Bravest Face" has some of my least favorite Ged vocals on record, and outside of the chorus - the lyrics don't seem very fitting for whatever Neil was approaching here. "I like that world, it makes a wonderful song/But there's a darker point of view/But sadly just as true/For so many among us." Yeah... not my favorite. 

Another good placement.  It's arguable though that another song with Face in the title is the should lose the face off for the worst Rush song containing that particular word in the title.

• Haha 2

170. "Virtuality," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 2 out of 11

So... yeah, uh... once again, this album hasn't aged greatly. The positive side to this song is the music itself - I'd say that this is one of the heaviest tracks Rush gave us in the 90's, with Alex giving us crunchy riffs. Sigh... unfortunately, it can be very difficult to listen to this song when I am set to hearing a dated chorus like this: "Net boy, net girl/Send your signal 'round the world/Let your fingers walk and talk/And set you free," "Net boy, net girl/Send your impulse 'round the world/Put your message in a modem/And throw it in the Cyber Sea." Boy... this is definitely a mid-late 90's album alright. Aaaaagh. 

173. “Half The World” 1/11
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” 1/11
171. “Bravest Face” 1/13
170. “Virtuality” 2/11

3 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

And Madigral number 3, I think I’m going Bald # 4 ? 🤣

Rounding off the top 5 - Rivendell.

The place where the good songs cannot go.....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

170. "Virtuality," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 2 out of 11

So... yeah, uh... once again, this album hasn't aged greatly. The positive side to this song is the music itself - I'd say that this is one of the heaviest tracks Rush gave us in the 90's, with Alex giving us crunchy riffs. Sigh... unfortunately, it can be very difficult to listen to this song when I am set to hearing a dated chorus like this: "Net boy, net girl/Send your signal 'round the world/Let your fingers walk and talk/And set you free," "Net boy, net girl/Send your impulse 'round the world/Put your message in a modem/And throw it in the Cyber Sea." Boy... this is definitely a mid-late 90's album alright. Aaaaagh. 

171. “Bravest Face” 1/13
170. “Virtuality” 2/11

The lyrics to this song are bottom-5 worst, maybe bottom-1 worst. They're Neil's worst on an album with mostly terrible lyrics. They were cringy back in the mid '90s when the internet was first becoming accessible to the general public, and now here we all are, still online and still cringing.

Lyrically and musically, the "Net boy" choruses in this song are unlistenable. But that main riff...it's one of the band's catchiest and heaviest, and I think that riff by itself elevates this song to a much higher position on the list than fourth-worst. Still a bottom-30 song for sure, but higher than this. YMMV.

• Like 3

169. "Dog Years," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 3 out of 11

Don't worry, Test for Echo will get its break. As I am realizing, especially with Test for Echo, how under-appreciated Alex Lifeson really is. Despite the lack of hooks, there are some great riffs that elevate each song from being terrible. Sadly, as I have already established with two songs from this album previously, the lyrics really bomb the score. "In a dog's life/A year is really more like seven/And all too soon a canine/Will be chasing cars in doggy heaven." Yikes.

List:
171. “Bravest Face” 1/13
170. “Virtuality” 2/11
169. “Dog Years” 3/11

5 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

169. "Dog Years," Test for Echo (1996)

Test for Echo - Entry 3 out of 11

Don't worry, Test for Echo will get its break. As I am realizing, especially with Test for Echo, how under-appreciated Alex Lifeson really is. Despite the lack of hooks, there are some great riffs that elevate each song from being terrible. Sadly, as I have already established with two songs from this album previously, the lyrics really bomb the score. "In a dog's life/A year is really more like seven/And all too soon a canine/Will be chasing cars in doggy heaven." Yikes.

List:
171. “Bravest Face” 1/13
170. “Virtuality” 2/11
169. “Dog Years” 3/11

Only eight songs to go until it sleeps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2023 at 7:28 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

The lyrics to this song are bottom-5 worst, maybe bottom-1 worst. They're Neil's worst on an album with mostly terrible lyrics. They were cringy back in the mid '90s when the internet was first becoming accessible to the general public, and now here we all are, still online and still cringing.

Lyrically and musically, the "Net boy" choruses in this song are unlistenable. But that main riff...it's one of the band's catchiest and heaviest, and I think that riff by itself elevates this song to a much higher position on the list than fourth-worst. Still a bottom-30 song for sure, but higher than this. YMMV.

Would have been a great instrumental.

• Like 1

168. "Seven and Seven Is," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 1 out of 8

Oh yeah - Feedback! That was also a thing that exists. They had to put something out in the wild for us to listen to for the R30 hype. Problem is, not many people - including myself - are crazy about bands in their modern days releasing covers EPs. The result of that is forgettable covers like this one. This will be my lowest Feedback placement since this is the most forgettable and seems to fit as a very bizarre choice to put on the EP.

List:
173. “Half The World” 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” 1/11, P
171. “Bravest Face” 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” 1/8, FB

5 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

168. "Seven and Seven Is," Feedback (2004)

Feedback - Entry 1 out of 8

Oh yeah - Feedback! That was also a thing that exists. They had to put something out in the wild for us to listen to for the R30 hype. Problem is, not many people - including myself - are crazy about bands in their modern days releasing covers EPs. The result of that is forgettable covers like this one. This will be my lowest Feedback placement since this is the most forgettable and seems to fit as a very bizarre choice to put on the EP.

List:
173. “Half The World” 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” 1/11, P
171. “Bravest Face” 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” 1/8, FB

This is very interesting so far and I am really looking forward to this going all the way through to #1.  I can't say I totally agree but its interesting.  Dog Ears I would put at 173 & Virtuality I would put at 172 so thats not much different from your list.  S & A I love as an album but I agree that Bravest Face is the weakest song on the album.  But it would be higher than you have it.  Likely in the 150's or 140's.  I have not thought my list through that completely.  Seven and Seven is would also place higher but I would agree its likely the weakest on Feedback.  Anagram (For Mongo) may be the place I differ the most so far with you.  I really like Presto so its likely in my top 100.  I have not really thought it out.  I just know its a lot higher than 172 for me.

Keep this thread coming - I am fascinated by it.

• Like 2

167. "BU2B2," Clockwork Angels (2012)

Clockwork Angels - Entry 1 out of 12

Geddy sings against some strings for a minute and a half. Not much else to really say here... it's just a nice little interlude track without much significance.

173. “Half The World” - 1/11 TFE
172. “Anagram (For Mongo)” - 1/11, PR
171. “Bravest Face” - 1/13, S&A
170. “Virtuality” - 2/11, TFE
169. “Dog Years” - 3/11, TFE
168. “Seven And Seven Is” - 1/8, FB
167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

• Like 3

166. "Face Up," Roll the Bones (1991)

Roll the Bones - Entry 1 out of 10

Time to enter Roll the Bones territory! I like this album a bit more than Presto for two reasons: the album has a much better conviction - and despite Rupert Hine's not-so-great mixing, it pans out a little bit nicer overall for the tracks on here. Therefore, I consider many tunes on Roll the Bones significantly better than ones on Presto. However, similar to Presto - Roll the Bones does have its clunky tunes that I can consider to be expendable. "Face Up" has one of the corniest Rush choruses throughout the discography - I sure don't come back to this one often when listening to Roll the Bones.

What do you think - would you put this one below something like "Seven and Seven Is," "BU2B2" - or "Half the World"?

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

166. "Face Up" - 1/10, RTB

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

Time to enter Roll the Bones territory! I like this album a bit more than Presto for two reasons: the album has a much better conviction - and despite Rupert Hine's not-so-great mixing, it pans out a little bit nicer overall for the tracks on here. Therefore, I consider many tunes on Roll the Bones significantly better than ones on Presto. However, similar to Presto - Roll the Bones does have its clunky tunes that I can consider to be expendable. "Face Up" has one of the corniest Rush choruses throughout the discography - I sure don't come back to this one often when listening to Roll the Bones.

What do you think - would you put this one below something like "Seven and Seven Is," "BU2B2" - or "Half the World"?

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

Nothing is worse than Half the World.  I prefer Seven and Seven Is to Face Up, though.

• Like 1

Face Up is a much better song than both Dog Years and Virtuality.   I have a feeling that it would have gone over really well live, with some bottom end. 

I cannot understand for the life of me why Tai-Shan isn't in the bottom 5.  It's official suckage.  Even Lerxst said the song 'seemed like a good idea at the time'.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

If Heresy, Second Nature, and Red Tide aren't in the top 50, I'm going to have to write a strongly worded post.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

I’m very much enjoying this :rush: all 173 tracks ranking 👍

I’m excited to see what will be next ! 🙂

🤔 From a personal point of view, lyrics aren’t quite so imperative to me Hi Water as to your goodself,  which seems to be predominately your deciding factor thus far.

For me, I can forgive not so great  ( even crap 🤣) lyrics  as long as the song rocks :ROCK: with the emphasis on great 🎸 riffs and interesting musicianship.
Also however melody is important to me, so that’s why I’d probably rate, perhaps controversially, nearly all the tracks from Test For Echo over Vapor Trails.

I appreciate all the hard work you’ve clearly put into this ongoing thread and can’t wait to read some more ! 😎

• Like 2

165. "Tai Shan," Hold Your Fire (1987)

Hold Your Fire - Entry 1 out of 10

Hold Your Fire is an album that I am kinder to the more I listen to it. Despite its bland mixing, I would say that this album is quite solid throughout most of it. Save for "Tai Shan," the group's least favorite track. This song seems to go nowhere when sometimes it should, and it ruins the album's conviction. Bland. Shame that this song could've been something more.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with the band that this is the worst song (or one of the worst ones), or is this an underrated gem?

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

165. "Tai Shan" - 1/10, HYF

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2023 at 7:46 PM, _hi_water._ said:

167. “BU2B2” - 1/12, CA

For me I would rank Face Up, Seven and Seven Is and Half The Word ahead of BU2B2.  That is defiantly worse than those 3 but not a bad as Dog Ears and Virtuality.  Then again, I would have a bunch of songs after Virtuality and before BU2B2.  Specifically, most of VT plus a few other dogs like The Necromancer.  Still, broadly speaking I would agree that most of the songs you have mentioned so far (except for Anagram) are among the dregs of their catalog.

Keep this thread coming - its fascinating.

• Like 1