Gordon Lightfoot dies at age 84

Gordon Lightfoot has passed away in a Toronto hospital, Monday evening.  I always liked his voice- I guess it's a cliche to say it was mellow, but it had a wonderful tone.  I remember thinking "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"  was kind of depressing, then I got to college and a hall mate's uncle had actually passed away in that accident; it made the song very real to this day.  RIP, Gord. You had a beautiful voice.

hdVgNv1m.png

https://variety.com/2023/music/obituaries-people-news/gordon-lightfoot-dead-edmund-fitzgerald-folk-singer-1235600585/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/article-gordon-lightfoot-the-canadian-bard-wrote-the-tune-for-a-nations/

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 12

I remember singing along to Sundown before I had any idea what it was about.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

My sister did that as well.  That was her favorite "45" for a long time.   :old:

• Like 5

Oh darn ... R.I.P!   I guess that I'll be playing his 60 song 3 cd compilation set tomorrow.

I  am missing you already Mr. Gordon Lightfoot!

So many good tunes, a large part of my canadiana childhood and yout!

• Like 6

He was the sound of the AM radio speakers in my parents' station wagon in my early childhood... that low fi radio signal bringing his beautiful voice and great songs to our ears.  RIP to a true Canadian legend.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this.  He was a true, iconic Canadian singer-songwriter, who recorded a lot of classic, and memorable songs.  He will be missed, and remembered.  My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends.  R.I.P., Gordon.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Geddy put up a lovely tribute post to Gord on Instagram.  It turns out Lightfoot's daughter was a Rush fan and he accompanied her to concerts when he could. 

EUZTbuSl.png

geddyimages

From Geddy:

"The first time we met was outside a local award show at a club in Toronto - a legendary poet, a songwriting inspiration - a gem of a man - I loved him. He used to bring his daughter who was a fan, to our shows, and he’d sit with her in the audience getting blasted with volume for three hours - a few months back he phoned me out of the blue, for no other reason than to say he’d just watched one of our concert films and really loved it. Every time I ran into him the first thing he would ask was how many gigs we’d done that year - he’d then proudly counter with the fact that he had played even more! RIP Gord - you are the man - the greatest Canadian. #gordonlightfoot"

• Like 8

On 5/1/2023 at 9:38 PM, laughedatbytime said:

I remember being a young teenager and singing along to a thousand songs before I had any idea what they were about...... :doh:

As long as I could sing the chorus, I was all good!  

• Haha 2

I gave him a few hours of extra listens yesterday and today in honor. A few new songs made my playlists.

One of the artists whose songs I associate with specific, happy memories. In Lightfoot's case, driving mountain and country roads in a 1987 Toyota 4Runner to go hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. He's been a great soundtrack for me for stuff like that.

• Like 2