Stephen Stills name checks RUSH cover

Ged Lent's sis

"It's like... that's very cool for me. We always thought that was very cool."
—Stephen Stills about Rush's cover of "For What It's Worth"

https://youtu.be/oNEsZYyti_U?t=1042

• Like 9

I know I will get some side eye from others but Feedback was my first Rush music purchase.  I took my sister who was a hard core Rush fan to R30 and I wasn't into them much.  When they started playing Buffalo Springfield songs, it caught my attention.  I always liked their music so if Rush liked them then that was cool.  Of course I enjoyed the concert and began listening to Rush more.  Thanks for sharing the video.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

I know I will get some side eye from others but Feedback was my first Rush music purchase.  I took my sister who was a hard core Rush fan to R30 and I wasn't into them much.  When they started playing Buffalo Springfield songs, it caught my attention.  I always liked their music so if Rush liked them then that was cool.  Of course I enjoyed the concert and began listening to Rush more.  Thanks for sharing the video.

That's actually kinda cool, I don't think I've encountered anyone else whose on ramp to Rush was Feedback!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rhyta said:

You're welcome. No side eye from me. I had never thought much of Feedback and hadn't seen the point even though I'm a fan of the songs covered. Seeing Stephen Stills genuine reaction has me thinking more of the album... and seeing the point.

• Like 1

When the Feedback CD was released, I listened to it over and over for the next 6 months or so, and I still go back to it often.  Great songs reinterpreted and Rush-ified.  

And R30 was my favorite concert setlist.  I am so glad that when the Blu-ray for R30 was released it had the whole show since they cut out a bunch of songs in the DVD release.  And Neil's drum solo on R30 is my fav as well, although admittedly -- I love 'em all!

• Like 4

i don't slam the Feedback songs like others. It was just a whimsical exercise of recording songs from their youth without the pressure of creating new material. Nothing more than that.

• Like 6

I never used to listen to it.  In fact, I didn't even own a copy for years because I heard my brother's copy and the sound was so atrocious that I didn't bother with it.

I bought it when it came out on vinyl, I think I got my copy sometime in 2019, and the vinyl came with a digital download.  Sean Magee's remaster really breathed some life into it!  Since then, I've listened to it a couple times; it comes on automatically at the end of VT in my car, and I usually just let it play through.  It's not a bad album at all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

i don't slam the Feedback songs like others. It was just a whimsical exercise of recording songs from their youth without the pressure of creating new material. Nothing more than that.

Yes and was released on the R30 tour, good way to revisit your past musical inspirations.  I bought the EP at the concert.

• Like 1

On this subject I watched most of the R30 DVD the other night for the first time in aeons. Absolutely tremendous, they really were playing brilliantly then. Great tour :cool:

Also nice to see Steve Stills bigging up the Rush FWIW. The lads would be pumped to hear that :smile:

• Like 3

On 4/30/2023 at 9:36 AM, ytserush said:

That's my favorite song on Feedback. I'll pop Feedback in just about every summer. Really good summer album. Would have loved to have them perform it live.

It was wonderful and since it was my first Rush concert, I didn't know what I was in for.:biggrin:  In hindsight, that intro with clips of many of their great songs was fantastic.  I still watch it on YouTube at least once a month...so good!

• Like 3

Thanks for all thee, uh, feedback!  Really, it's great to see the replies, as my reaction to Stills' saying that mirrors his words: It was really cool for me.

On a similar note, a friend not long ago called up a video of The Yardbirds doing "Shapes of Things" live in the Page era. I didn't say so but found it underwhelming.

Later, on my own, happening upon Rush's version again, I decided the next time I saw my friend I would have him call up the Feedback version.

I preface the following with the fact that my friend has no Rush bias. They were never on his radar and he hasn't showed any inkling of getting into them.

Anyway, he searches out the video on Rush's YT channel and gives it a play. No reaction in real time, he just sits silently listening. When the song finishes he pauses for a moment and then says that it is clearly better than the original in all aspects, adding that this cover version had managed to accomplish everything great he'd thought about the original but had been mistaken about.