Wayne Shorter, jazz pioneer dies at 89

Rhyta

I didn't see a diary about this, so I decided to post.  I believe he passed on March 2nd.  He was involved with many important groups and other jazz artists throughout his career; Art Blakely and Miles Davis.  He went on to form Weather Report and later his own band.  Beautiful tenor sax tone, I had also forgotten that he did the solo on the title track Aja with Steely Dan.    RIP :rose:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64830949

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

RIP, Wayne. :rose:      Thank you for the notice, Rhyta.  I saw him in concert once with Weather Report, front row seats and everything, it was great although I didn't really realize what genius I was listening to at the time.  I didn't know that about Aja, interesting!

• Like 2

Oh god, I had no idea that he had passed…in addition to being a part of arguably the best band that Miles Davis ever fronted (his quintet of 1965-‘68), he played with my favorite jazz trumpeter on Earth, Lee Morgan, for several sessions…he played with Joni Mitchell in the mid-to-late 1990s, along with drummers Brian Blade and Vinnie Colaiuta…and by the way, he had a hell of a solo career as well. Every one of his solo albums from 1964-‘67 is essential, IMO. (And by the way, that’s eight albums as a leader, in four years. In addition to several more that he did in Miles’s group- not to mention live dates all over the US, UK and Europe).

A monumental talent.

🌹 

• Like 1