Signals 40th Super Deluxe Edition Announced - but no live material?

OneZeroZero

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, goose said:

Is this about as good as it gets as far as live stuff from the Signals era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-oiV9FVQ0M

Setlist (full show): Three Stooges Intro 0:00:01 The Spirit Of Radio 0:00:38 Tom Sawyer 0:05:19 Freewill 0:10:35 Digital Man 0:15:59 Subdivisions 0:22:42 Vital Signs 0:28:05 The Camera Eye 0:33:15 Closer To The Heart 0:40:16 Chemistry 0:43:45 The Analog Kid 0:48:48 Broon's Bane 0:53:50 The Trees 0:55:20 Red Barchetta 0:59:42 The Weapon 1:06:10 New World Man 1:14:10 Limelight 1:18:08 Countdown 1:22:53 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx) 1:28:50 Xanadu 1:35:06 La Villa Strangiato 1:37:35 In The Mood 1:41:00 YYZ/Drum Solo/YYZ 1:44:40

Best on video? Yes. But there are a number of better audio shows at various points of the tour.  I think some of those have been mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

It is a little perplexing that (seemingly) every Signals 40th package offered centers on vinyl -- there is no option to just buy a CD and/or cd/DVD or CD/BluRay package.

I listen to music now mostly via streaming, but there are some items I still buy hard copies of just because I like to have them and use them occasionally.  I get the audiophile craze with vinyl now outselling CDs, but it seems odd that in order to support the band and buy the new items I might want I have to buy vinyl that I will definitely not use.

Oh well..

Edited by capoetc
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, goose said:

Is this about as good as it gets as far as live stuff from the Signals era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-oiV9FVQ0M

Setlist (full show): Three Stooges Intro 0:00:01 The Spirit Of Radio 0:00:38 Tom Sawyer 0:05:19 Freewill 0:10:35 Digital Man 0:15:59 Subdivisions 0:22:42 Vital Signs 0:28:05 The Camera Eye 0:33:15 Closer To The Heart 0:40:16 Chemistry 0:43:45 The Analog Kid 0:48:48 Broon's Bane 0:53:50 The Trees 0:55:20 Red Barchetta 0:59:42 The Weapon 1:06:10 New World Man 1:14:10 Limelight 1:18:08 Countdown 1:22:53 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx) 1:28:50 Xanadu 1:35:06 La Villa Strangiato 1:37:35 In The Mood 1:41:00 YYZ/Drum Solo/YYZ 1:44:40

This is the best setlist of their entire career, hands down. 

I could quibble with a couple, but what more do you want, really? This is their best music. 

It makes me nostalgic for a time period in live music that I never knew. 

• Like 3

On 4/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, Weatherman said:

This is the best setlist of their entire career, hands down. 

I could quibble with a couple, but what more do you want, really? This is their best music. 

It makes me nostalgic for a time period in live music that I never knew. 

My first two Rush concerts ever were in 1983 on back to back nights in Hollywood Florida.....I have flashes of each show....I was 13. It was a long time ago. I was able to go with my friends older brother who drove to both shows. Total cost for my two tickets both nights? 22 bucks. 

Man......those were the days. 

I wish I was able to see the Waves and Pictures tours as well.....this was their absolute prime and height of popularity in the “mainstream”. Coming off Moving Pictures Rush was huge. And then they did a very progressive thing.....they chose to find new sonic landscapes and that is why I loved them so much. They always took risks. And long term it paid off big time. The catalog is so diverse.....and Signals was the start of that 180 but it really took form on Grace Under Pressure. 

Signals aged the absolute best of all their post Pictures albums. Hands down. That creamy warm, analog sound was still in-tact. And yes...Terry Brown simply had the magic touch with them behind the console. I loved Peter Collins work with them as well....but Terry was the man with Rush’s sound in the studio. 

Oh how I wish we could have gotten something of a live document from Signals Tour on this 40th set.....that is the biggest disappointment from such a critical time tested album in their peak creative phase. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Signals aged the absolute best of all their post Pictures albums. Hands down. That creamy warm, analog sound was still in-tact. And yes...Terry Brown simply had the magic touch with them behind the console. I loved Peter Collins work with them as well....but Terry was the man with Rush’s sound in the studio. 

I didn't really listen to Rush for about 10 years.

When I came back into the fold and revisited all the old stuff, Signals was the one that stood out immediately. 

• Like 3

Signals came out at the peak of my personal "fandom."  I was introduced to them when PeW was the "new" album, but it was already out.  Moving Pictures was the first one I bought on the day of release after becoming a fan.  Signals was the first album to come out after I had seen them live for the first time.  I loved it when I bought it, and the set list for the tour was amazing. P/G was the first album it took me time to warm up to.  I'm not an audiophile, so different speeds (whatever that means) or Blu-Ray versions mean nothing to me.  Nor do unreleased photos and posters.  Deluxe editions are only of interest to me if they include a live set from the supporting tour, or unreleased tracks.  The ONLY exception is for The Beatles, from whom I'll accept studio outtakes and demos.

This is really disappointing.  I can't imagine they're not aware fans have complained about the absence of soundboards from the Signals tour forever.  I'm sure they recorded the shows.  This was the chance to give the fans what they've said they want.  No thanks.  My CD works fine.

• Like 7

Pretty disappointing to not get live material. Signals is such a fantastic album and really deserved a live release. There's no way that they don't have some live material in the vaults. Sad that it will probably rot before a release can ever happen. 

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 1

So many replies about the lack of live material - and I agree - but curious, how do we find out more information about why NOT?

I have seen some live footage on the internet and it looks like over time, much of their catalogue has been licensed or distributed by different labels around the world.

Is it a copyright thing? People who used to be involved with packaging the 40th releases with live coverage are not part of the scene these days?

Some answers would be nice.

It's not a "there is nothing in the vault" debate, says me, but maybe an inability to include live coverage - this time? And next time?

Edit: I don't think the band has much say anymore about releases and marketing, but those who do - WHY is there nothing this time?

Edited by Bahamas
Added that band doesn't control the releases?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

So many replies about the lack of live material - and I agree - but curious, how do we find out more information about why NOT?

I have seen some live footage on the internet and it looks like over time, much of their catalogue has been licensed or distributed by different labels around the world.

Is it a copyright thing? People who used to be involved with packaging the 40th releases with live coverage are not part of the scene these days?

Some answers would be nice.

It's not a "there is nothing in the vault" debate, says me, but maybe an inability to include live coverage - this time? And next time?

Edit: I don't think the band has much say anymore about releases and marketing, but those who do - WHY is there nothing this time?

From what I understand the band has very little involvement in the new releases. They essentially just sign off saying that they approve the upcoming release and that it's okay to move forward.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheGhostRider said:

From what I understand the band has very little involvement in the new releases. They essentially just sign off saying that they approve the upcoming release and that it's okay to move forward.

Yes, I agree on that.

And I hope we hear more about that in the near future. By interview, or by biography, why have the 40th releases been, kind of, hit and miss regarding live material added to really (really) expensive releases?

I can hardly wait for my order to be mailed out and it's a sold out package, some time late April.

But knowing it won't have live accompanying tour material seems like an elephant in the room, so to speak?

12 hours ago, Bahamas said:

And I hope we hear more about that in the near future. By interview, or by biography, why have the 40th releases been, kind of, hit and miss regarding live material added to really (really) expensive releases?

If we haven't by now, we probably won't.  Unless it's a lame blurb about how live material for p/g 40 is their attempt to 'hear the fans', or something like that.  Assuming there even is a p/g 40.

Edit: I don't even think we'd get a live thing with p/g.  Because Grace Under Pressure Live is pretty definitive of that tour.    Unless the band recorded the RCMH preview shows.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Digital82 said:

"...People who used to be involved with packaging the 40th releases with live coverage are not part of the scene these days..."   "People" such as whom, exactly?

Andy Curran? Pegi Cecconi? Old Anthem staffers? Who is left?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm attending a Q&A with Broon & Hugh in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can get some answers to feed back...

http://www.rushfestscotland.co.uk/

Awesome. I hope so.

Should be able to learn if there will be a Grace Under  Pressure Deluxe at least.

I suspect Terry may not be involved anymore, but we'll see. I hope he is.

Please let us know what you find out

4 hours ago, grep said:

How many times will you guys let me get away with saying that this release sucks?

As long as it makes you happy I'm good.  

I'm looking at it as I'm saving some money for Geddy's book. Can't be deprived of something we already have. I'd have jumped at another standalone CD but I guess that wasn't in the cards. We'll see if anyone is listening for the next time (if there is one.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Digital82 said:

"...People who used to be involved with packaging the 40th releases with live coverage are not part of the scene these days..."   "People" such as whom, exactly?

I am asking the question.

You left out the Question Mark.

And the sentence before that was, is it a copyright thing? And after that, I said, some answers would be nice.

Might you have some answers? 

5 hours ago, grep said:

How many times will you guys let me get away with saying that this release sucks?

Never. The Solar Federation has decided!! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm attending a Q&A with Broon & Hugh in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can get some answers to feed back...

http://www.rushfestscotland.co.uk/

Thank you, Lurkst. 

Only to wonder, is copyright having an impact on the release of band material the last few years. 

And, in the future will copyright have an impact on future 40th releases?

It's almost like the CDs, the vinyl records, little toys and trinkets and posters are all Okay to pile into a box for a 40th anniversary release - but is live content now restricted?

Best wishes in Scotland, congrats on the opportunity!!