Signals 40th Super Deluxe Edition Announced - but no live material?

OneZeroZero

Had a look over at Steve Hoffman Forums, same thing there with a lot of negative feedback!! Also worry of poor sales for this might spell the end of the  

"40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Boxset" going forward! I sure hope GUP gets the full treatment it's deserved!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malm_51 said:

Had a look over at Steve Hoffman Forums, same thing there with a lot of negative feedback!! Also worry of poor sales for this might spell the end of the  

"40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Boxset" going forward! I sure hope GUP gets the full treatment it's deserved!

I will check that out, thank you malm_51, but let's be real about this - we pre-order, hope for the best and basically get what we ordered.

More celebrations of the earlier albums. What is offered is better than not being offered anything at all?

Yes, the guys don't generally have control of content releases, but every time a new release is made, it has some new things to add to the mix. 

Give me more!

On 3/10/2023 at 12:56 AM, thizzellewashington said:

I think there's a decent chance this is the last one anyway. These things aren't cheap to produce and after you get past Signals and get into the mid-80s, those records were more polarizing among fans and also didn't have the same level of commercial/radio success as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. And past the mid-80s, forget it. The couple hundred people who post regularly on this forum are the entirety of the audience for a $200 box set of Presto or Roll the Bones.

I agree with this. I would grab up the box sets depending on the material, but I think I am not so foolish as to believe that there are enough people who would buy those sets to make it worth their while.

I will also agree with the notion that GUP is likely the final one if Signals isn't. Depending on how well this sells, GUP may not happen.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, Lurkst said:

Surely there will be a GUP one given that there absolutely is live material in the archive to include there? Half the album has promo videos made for it too.

A major oversight in retrospect by SRO not documenting the Signals tour at all. I guess it wasn't seen as important merely months after Exit Stage Left was released. 

My money is on that they DID record something from this tour (I would think another 3 nights at MLG and 4 nights at Wembley would have had at least one document), but I wonder if it wasn't preserved well or if it was assumed that there was not enough interest in it.

Assuming they had it, one of the first 2 nights in Toronto 1982 would have been an excellent addition to this boxset. Based on the tour history book, wonder if they have a recording of La Crosse in the vaults.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, malm_51 said:

If anyone producing these 40th Anniversary sets cares and is listening, they have to know what many of us want and that is quality live recordings of the tour and other audio rarities. The fans know there's not many studio outtakes, virtually no unreleased songs but man this band toured a lot. Surely they slapped a cassette into a recorder on occasion and pressed play/record. If no tape exists of the tour, frankly hey can pass on 40th Anniversary Editions afaic. I've bought the 2112 set, the AFTK, PeW and MP Deluxe sets. Passed on Hemispheres set because the live material came up short imo and I'm passing on this set. Next up G/P - surely there's multi-track recordings of the 2 Toronto shows that the video was taken from, if not then we know there's a couple of soundboards that you could cobble together a complete set list from. I know Ged's voice is a little ragged in the Maryland show.

Not asking for the moon here - but if these types of tapes simply don't exist, then I won't be buying any future sets. Shame - I really wish they would have taken audio documentation of their tours a little more seriously. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taurus said:

Shame - I really wish they would have taken audio documentation of their tours a little more seriously. 

I am not convinced that a lack of live material on this box set means they didn't document anything at all.

3 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

There is no way they recorded zero performances from a tour when they were near the height of their popularity in the early 80s when they did record stuff from every other tour around that time.

I agree, but until evidence appears all us fans have is speculation and frustration that they wouldn't give a large segment of the Rush collector what they want. Baffling from a business decision POV too. No one is getting any younger so what's the point of withholding the goods until what? 50th Anniversary? 60th?

• Like 4

Pushing this to the top of everyone's stack.

The lack live material in the release sucks!!

That is all.

• Like 5

I wonder if Geddy and Alex listened to tapes that DO exist, and decided they were not up to their standards, performance wise.

I've not dug deep into bootleg land, but have watched some blurry vids on youtube of Signals tour footage...and boy, some of the tempos are crazy.  And inconsistent.  I know some of the other live stuff, even the Live in YYZ concert suffer from Peart's rather...well, erratic time keeping, but maybe the Signals stuff across the board was worse?  Or maybe they weren't happy with their own parts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timbale said:

I wonder if Geddy and Alex listened to tapes that DO exist, and decided they were not up to their standards, performance wise.

I've not dug deep into bootleg land, but have watched some blurry vids on youtube of Signals tour footage...and boy, some of the tempos are crazy.  And inconsistent.  I know some of the other live stuff, even the Live in YYZ concert suffer from Peart's rather...well, erratic time keeping, but maybe the Signals stuff across the board was worse?  Or maybe they weren't happy with their own parts?

I think it was a simple as those releasing the box set were lazy as F and miscalculated on how much the Live releases mean to those of us still interested enough in buying them.

I won't be getting this, and I'm annoyed as all hell they left out something...ANYTHING...live.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 4:28 PM, 78jazz said:

I agree with this. I would grab up the box sets depending on the material, but I think I am not so foolish as to believe that there are enough people who would buy those sets to make it worth their while.

I will also agree with the notion that GUP is likely the final one if Signals isn't. Depending on how well this sells, GUP may not happen.

The superiority of the Terry Brown Only Era fans never stops surprising me. To believe that most Rush fans only care about Signals and before or that most walked away after Signals just shows ones age. Heck! I'm 54 and my first new Rush purchase was Grace Under Pressure! That's where my journey began. I LOVED the "keyboard era" so many of you crotchety old fans hate. I also love the 90s and all the way through to the end, what I consider to be their finest album, Clockwork Angels. 

I've purchased the previous 40th Anniversary sets but my excitement level for them is nothing compared to the future releases of Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo! To get full concert audio from all those tours is my fan dream come true, especially Grace!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holdyourfireal said:

The superiority of the Terry Brown Only Era fans never stops surprising me. To believe that most Rush fans only care about Signals and before or that most walked away after Signals just shows ones age. Heck! I'm 54 and my first new Rush purchase was Grace Under Pressure! That's where my journey began. I LOVED the "keyboard era" so many of you crotchety old fans hate. I also love the 90s and all the way through to the end, what I consider to be their finest album, Clockwork Angels. 

I've purchased the previous 40th Anniversary sets but my excitement level for them is nothing compared to the future releases of Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo! To get full concert audio from all those tours is my fan dream come true, especially Grace!

I am sorry if my comments seemed to suggest that I would not be interested in future sets. I would be very much interested, but I do not think that the sales numbers are there to support future sets. This could be my bias talking, but I suspect that live material would help the cause. If sales numbers on the upcoming Signals box set are not good, I could see it as motivation for the re-issues to stop (or stop after GUP).

Ideally, we would get soundboards of shows that have no audience recordings available. I have no expectations of this happening.

(As an aside, if they kept it up I think a complete Counterparts soundboard would be the best but I doubt it is going to happen.)

5 hours ago, Timbale said:

This may not be the explanation I would want, but I would not be surprised (my first guess is that the tapes were improperly stored, but if older performances were preserved, I would wonder why Signals recordings didn't survive, but it may be dumb luck assuming this scenario is what has taken place).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timbale said:

There are likely board tapes. Difficult to know if there was a specific rejection of this type of thing or general blanket rejection. Geddy has alluded on more than one occasion that nothing "embarrassing " will be released which is likely why any consideration of the first single being reissued is dead in the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ytserush said:

There are likely board tapes. Difficult to know if there was a specific rejection of this type of thing or general blanket rejection. Geddy has alluded on more than one occasion that nothing "embarrassing " will be released which is likely why any consideration of the first single being reissued is dead in the water.

And yet we got that D- sounding Twilight Zone on 2112-40. I think it's the only Rush track in my entire collection that has 1 play.

Also, that first single reissued might sell more copies than they might think....... 

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ytserush said:

Admittedly, I'm not a world-class musician, so I don't know what they would find "embarrassing," but how could it be so bad they'd worry about their fans' reactions? The only people buying something like archival material are already in the church, so to speak; we're not going to turn on Rush because they came in at the wrong time on "New World Man," or because Geddy sang the second verse of "Freewill" twice. 

It's odd because one of the things that's probably made them great is they were more concerned with making something they liked first, and only then worrying about how "popular" it would be, but at a moment like these releases, when their active career is over and all we have left are the memories, thinking of how they come across (if that is a factor) seems unnecessary and too prideful. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

My personal favorite era of Rush is the mid-80s but I'm also well aware that that isn't the majority opinion.

• Like 1

Is this about as good as it gets as far as live stuff from the Signals era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-oiV9FVQ0M

Setlist (full show): Three Stooges Intro 0:00:01 The Spirit Of Radio 0:00:38 Tom Sawyer 0:05:19 Freewill 0:10:35 Digital Man 0:15:59 Subdivisions 0:22:42 Vital Signs 0:28:05 The Camera Eye 0:33:15 Closer To The Heart 0:40:16 Chemistry 0:43:45 The Analog Kid 0:48:48 Broon's Bane 0:53:50 The Trees 0:55:20 Red Barchetta 0:59:42 The Weapon 1:06:10 New World Man 1:14:10 Limelight 1:18:08 Countdown 1:22:53 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx) 1:28:50 Xanadu 1:35:06 La Villa Strangiato 1:37:35 In The Mood 1:41:00 YYZ/Drum Solo/YYZ 1:44:40

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

So I have purchased every 40th year Super Deluxe set thus far…..and I am pausing here. The Rush Backstage exclusive already sold out. Obviously some hoarding I am sure by Ebay trolls who will try to capitalize and jack the price up on them.

I am a huge Signals fan….it is my 4th all time favorite Rush album.

However…..I own the MSFL CD which is the absolute definitive version of this album IMO in terms of audiophile quality. I own the original print vinyl in mint condition as well. The lack of any live material was a huge letdown. I was really

hoping for a soundboard recording of this tour…..and it was not to be. 

Yes I am completist when it comes to Rush. But I am going to wait a while….I just feel the price is incredibly bloated for an album I already have in the forms they offer (yes I have the Sectors 5.1 mix as well as remaster 2.0). So what am I paying $225 for? A book with pictures and some singles? Meh it is an underwhelming 40th Anniversary box set. 

So we are sitting it out for a bit and see if the price eventually comes down in a year or two.

I do like the hoodie though!! Ordering that!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Todem said:

I wish they had the back cover as primary art for a shirt or a poster.  I have always loved the back of Signals more than the front.

So yeah - I'm pretry disappointed all around this time out.

I hope for P/G they do something cool with the vice and egg.....

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Todem said:

So I have purchased every 40th year Super Deluxe set thus far…..and I am pausing here. The Rush Backstage exclusive already sold out. Obviously some hoarding I am sure by Ebay trolls who will try to capitalize and jack the price up on them.

I am a huge Signals fan….it is my 4th all time favorite Rush album.

However…..I own the MSFL CD which is the absolute definitive version of this album IMO in terms of audiophile quality. I own the original print vinyl in mint condition as well. The lack of any live material was a huge letdown. I was really

hoping for a soundboard recording of this tour…..and it was not to be. 

Yes I am completist when it comes to Rush. But I am going to wait a while….I just feel the price is incredibly bloated for an album I already have in the forms they offer (yes I have the Sectors 5.1 mix as well as remaster 2.0). So what am I paying $225 for? A book with pictures and some singles? Meh it is an underwhelming 40th Anniversary box set. 

So we are sitting it out for a bit and see if the price eventually comes down in a year or two.

This is where I'm at, too. I buy pretty much everything but I'm going to wait for the price to come down on this one.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:33 AM, taurus said:

If anyone producing these 40th Anniversary sets cares and is listening, they have to know what many of us want and that is quality live recordings of the tour and other audio rarities. The fans know there's not many studio outtakes, virtually no unreleased songs but man this band toured a lot. Surely they slapped a cassette into a recorder on occasion and pressed play/record. If no tape exists of the tour, frankly hey can pass on 40th Anniversary Editions afaic. I've bought the 2112 set, the AFTK, PeW and MP Deluxe sets. Passed on Hemispheres set because the live material came up short imo and I'm passing on this set. Next up G/P - surely there's multi-track recordings of the 2 Toronto shows that the video was taken from, if not then we know there's a couple of soundboards that you could cobble together a complete set list from. I know Ged's voice is a little ragged in the Maryland show.

Not asking for the moon here - but if these types of tapes simply don't exist, then I won't be buying any future sets. Shame - I really wish they would have taken audio documentation of their tours a little more seriously. 

I didn't think that issuing all of the 2015 Magee masters for a stand alone CD was too much to ask, but apparently it is.

I don't have much of a problem with the '84 Maryland show.  The '94 Maryland board show is another story. Nobody should have leaked that. It's painful to listen to Geddy. I really feel bad for Geddy that night. He had some cold.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:51 PM, grep said:

And yet we got that D- sounding Twilight Zone on 2112-40. I think it's the only Rush track in my entire collection that has 1 play.

Also, that first single reissued might sell more copies than they might think....... 

The Twilight Zone boot is surprising.  My guess is that someone slipped it by them. Notice nothing like that has happened since.

I only listen to The Twilight Zone live within the context of the 4/17/77 show it was taken from.

I don't think Alex and Geddy care about how many copies of the first single would or wouldn't sell. I suppose it might sell more copies than it originally did on the curiosity factor alone. But again, that doesn't seem like the kind of thing Geddy and Alex would be interested in.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:35 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Admittedly, I'm not a world-class musician, so I don't know what they would find "embarrassing," but how could it be so bad they'd worry about their fans' reactions? The only people buying something like archival material are already in the church, so to speak; we're not going to turn on Rush because they came in at the wrong time on "New World Man," or because Geddy sang the second verse of "Freewill" twice. 

It's odd because one of the things that's probably made them great is they were more concerned with making something they liked first, and only then worrying about how "popular" it would be, but at a moment like these releases, when their active career is over and all we have left are the memories, thinking of how they come across (if that is a factor) seems unnecessary and too prideful. 

Can't know for sure, but they've always had their standards.