Signals 40th Super Deluxe Edition Announced - but no live material?

OneZeroZero

10 hours ago, ytserush said:

CD's are much cheaper to make than vinyl. Clearly we're being steered to the Super Deluxe Edition (or nothing at all. Seems like that's my choice.)

How can there not be a stand alone CD for this????  I get that this is basically the Hugh Syme show and he's the only one left tied to the history of the band but there is nothing musically interesting for me here besides the 2015 Magee master and the Atmos mix.

Besides. Where's the miniature replica dalmatian and fire hydrant?

Steer us?    Like we're cattle or something. 

Sorry, Mr Dutton can walk his own ass out to the pasture.

Edited by grep
typos
  • Like 1

Also, just for the record. (no pun intended.... really :) )

After Ole or whoever it is gets the negative feedback from the fanbase, there will probably be a statement made somehow making excuses for not having live material in the release.  As if we should be made to 'understand'.

Not gonna work,  Unless it's a re-working of the release with a SIG Tour Show.  End of story.

• Like 1

If there was a live show as part of the set, I would be in too.

I am a little concerned that, if these sets don't sell well, they will stop making them with live material still sitting in the vault unreleased.  But it is what it is, I have already bought multiple copies of every single Rush release, so I don't think I need another remix.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grep said:

I'm noticing that there's no CD version of this disaster.   I guess because they know that they'd never be able to sell enough 1 CD versions of the thing to justify production.

seriously? I thought there would be at least a regular CD version just for completists. :angry:

• Like 2

I mean, I'll probably get it anyway cuz I'm a sucker with a paycheck, but the no live material is definitely disappointing. That was usually my favorite part of the other boxsets.

• Like 2

I can’t see why they wouldn’t have at least added the live b-sides to the CD. It feels lazy to me. Count me in for another voice in the choir who is disappointed there is no live show included either. I don’t see anything listed that justifies the price point at all. Sadly, I’ll pass on this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I thought I saw that there's a couple live songs from MP: Red Barchetta and Vital Signs. 

Those have been previously released on the same format. What are the odds those were remixed too? Not paying to find out.

46 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Wasn't that interview found to have been made up entirely?

Don't know if the entire interview was made up but that quote certainly was.

This has probably been discussed previously.

But I did recently find somewhere it may be verified:

I got this from the fogo guitars website. https://www.fogo.guitars.com
You can follow Pierre Lamoureux on IG @mylowbottome. Maybe he'll respond to questions about this.

• Like 1

No disappointments with what is not being included, but very pleased with what is.

I admit, I thought Moving Pictures was my last 40th purchase. How many am I going to get? 

But when I watched the "unboxing"? I actually felt goosebumps - it was released around the time when I was in grade 8 or 9. It was huge with my peers.

We walked home from Boy Scouts trying to outdo each other with stories about the band. Mostly untrue!

While I always hold the previous 8 studio albums with such high regard and think of them as the ultimate classics, they were also what my older brothers were playing and they were amazing to me. 

But Signals was my first album. In terms of iconography with the new font using lower case letters - or mixed or whatever - I took a lot of time to marker it onto the back of my jean jacket that also had a big VH and Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin scribbles. 

Seeing the added Hugh Syme artwork, that closed the deal! A boy lying in the grass...futuristic graphics...

And while I am still a stalwart of a simple 2 channel audio amp for listening, I like the Blu-ray offering, it will be very nice for the living room viewing experience.

Lyric sheets? I love those. Very creative, very Neil - I feel. The collection is growing.

And the last song on the album, Countdown?

(from Wiki) The song was used as a wake up song for astronauts during STS-109, which was the last successful flight of Space Shuttle Columbia. It was used again for astronaut Mike Fincke during STS-134, flown by Space Shuttle Endeavour on its final mission before retirement. Fincke described how his friends Greg Shurtz and NASA employee Ken Fisher chose the song because the band was inspired to write it after viewing the launch of STS-1. Fincke went on to say the song was played as a tribute to the Space Shuttle program, which has inspired people around the world.[6]

Chris Hadfield, the first Canadian to perform extravehicular activity in outer space, he has flown two Space Shuttle missions and also served as commander of the International Space Station, said about the song:

"...says he started listening to them in high school and was drawn to the band's "incredible originality and dissatisfaction with normal" in a new video post he's made from aboard the International Space Station ...

Losing it? With both Ben Mink and Jonathan Dinklage on the R40 Tour? Priceless.

Give me a big box of Signals nostalgia and I am happy.

Edit: my brothers were playing and they were amazing...

Edited by Bahamas

5 hours ago, ytserush said:

Don't know if the entire interview was made up but that quote certainly was.

This has probably been discussed previously.

But I did recently find somewhere it may be verified:

I got this from the fogo guitars website. https://www.fogo.guitars.com
You can follow Pierre Lamoureux on IG @mylowbottome. Maybe he'll respond to questions about this.

You are a true fan of details, thank you for always giving some context to posts.  Among others, of course, but you post more often. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, ytserush said:

I'm more curious to find out how many each of the these Super Deluxe Editions have been made.

That is an excellent question.

I am also not shelling out $200+ for this. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 12:33 PM, capoetc said:

I am a little concerned that, if these sets don't sell well, they will stop making them with live material still sitting in the vault unreleased.

I think I get where this comes from, but if they aren't releasing it now I am not sure what motivation will arise later.

I also wonder if this is the last of the 40th anniversary sets. If it is, I will only have 3 of them (I skipped 2112 and Hemispheres on account of it not being new material and a lack of motivation to speed correct the live recordings on those sets).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, capoetc said:

If there was a live show as part of the set, I would be in too.

I am a little concerned that, if these sets don't sell well, they will stop making them with live material still sitting in the vault unreleased.  But it is what it is, I have already bought multiple copies of every single Rush release, so I don't think I need another remix.

I think there's a decent chance this is the last one anyway. These things aren't cheap to produce and after you get past Signals and get into the mid-80s, those records were more polarizing among fans and also didn't have the same level of commercial/radio success as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. And past the mid-80s, forget it. The couple hundred people who post regularly on this forum are the entirety of the audience for a $200 box set of Presto or Roll the Bones.

4 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

I think there's a decent chance this is the last one anyway. These things aren't cheap to produce and after you get past Signals and get into the mid-80s, those records were more polarizing among fans and also didn't have the same level of commercial/radio success as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. And past the mid-80s, forget it. The couple hundred people who post regularly on this forum are the entirety of the audience for a $200 box set of Presto or Roll the Bones.

Every album through RTB sold platinum. I think you underestimate how many people would be interested.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 78jazz said:

I think I get where this comes from, but if they aren't releasing it now I am not sure what motivation will arise later.

I also wonder if this is the last of the 40th anniversary sets. If it is, I will only have 3 of them (I skipped 2112 and Hemispheres on account of it not being new material and a lack of motivation to speed correct the live recordings on those sets).

9 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

Surely there will be a GUP one given that there absolutely is live material in the archive to include there? Half the album has promo videos made for it too.

A major oversight in retrospect by SRO not documenting the Signals tour at all. I guess it wasn't seen as important merely months after Exit Stage Left was released. 

• Like 1

On the Rushbackstage website, the Permanent Waves special edition is still available to purchase (https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XLPRU067/permanent-waves-40th-anniversary-super-deluxe-box-set?cp=102112_102215_102518), and it costs $50 less than the Signals box set despite containing way more bonus stuff to justify the cost and it being a much bigger/more popular record that you could get away with charging more for. The pricing for the Signals one is all the way out of whack. I'd pay about $125 or at most $150 for what's in there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

On the Rushbackstage website, the Permanent Waves special edition is still available to purchase (https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XLPRU067/permanent-waves-40th-anniversary-super-deluxe-box-set?cp=102112_102215_102518), and it costs $50 less than the Signals box set despite containing way more bonus stuff to justify the cost and it being a much bigger/more popular record that you could get away with charging more for. The pricing for the Signals one is all the way out of whack. I'd pay about $125 or at most $150 for what's in there.

Still too much. The CD set suits me fine.