Signals 40th Super Deluxe Edition Announced - but no live material?

OneZeroZero

I just got an email from Rush Backstage announcing the release of the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of Signals. Disappointingly (at least for me), there is apparently no unreleased live material as we've gotten with previous anniversary editions, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XAMRU260/signals-40-backstage-exclusive-super-deluxe-edition?cp=102112_112120

• Like 1

I’m hoping that that’s some kind of mistake and the release info will get updated … I can’t imagine that they’d record the previous tours and not this one… Or, perhaps they didn’t and that’s why a Signals tour soundboard hasn’t surfaced after all this time. 

• Like 1

Oof, no live tracks.  :blink::wacko:

They are certainly putting a great deal of effort and time into these anniversary releases and I appreciate that :biggrin:. I guess they just didn't have any Signals tour recordings, or if they did they were lost, in bad shape, or had serious flaws.

Edited by currygoat11

That's a bit disappointing. The Signals tour setlist was awesome and contained a few songs that were either never played live again or resurrected years later in a different form :eh:

The packaging looks lovely though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gemari77 said:

I’m hoping that that’s some kind of mistake and the release info will get updated … I can’t imagine that they’d record the previous tours and not this one… Or, perhaps they didn’t and that’s why a Signals tour soundboard hasn’t surfaced after all this time. 

Ian Grandy has confirmed the existence of two-channel board tapes at the very least.  This is the same as what was used for the "bonus tracks" on Rush in Rio.  As that release demonstrates, these can be made to sound very good.

• Like 3

I'll probably skip this one for now. It probably won't sell out like the Moving Pictures one did so maybe I'll buy it down the line when I have a little more money to burn on something like that, but no live material dampens the enthusiasm for me. Sucks because this is an era/tour I'd be REALLY excited to hear professional-quality live recordings from/

• Like 1

Yeah, no live material is a big no for me...at some point I'd listen to remixes/masters, but not shelling out box set prices for it.

And....I know others feel differently....but I really don't like ANY of Hugh Syme's digital artwork for any of these projects.  It is cold, sterile, cutsy and childish.  Doesn't represent Rush to me at all.  I remember some re-release of Dark Side Of The Moon (maybe in a box set?) where the cover was rendered in some kind of mosaic tile...and maybe another one where it was actually a photograph of light passing though a prism.  These are cool choices.  All the Rush ones seem embarrassingly lame to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rushman14 said:

im interested in that Richard Chycki remix but looks like it only 5.1. There should have been a stereo version as well.

I'm noticing that there's no CD version of this disaster.   I guess because they know that they'd never be able to sell enough 1 CD versions of the thing to justify production.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, currygoat11 said:

Oof, no live tracks.  :blink::wacko:

They are certainly putting a great deal of effort and time into these anniversary releases and I appreciate that :biggrin:. I guess they just didn't have any Signals tour recordings, or if they did they were lost, in bad shape, or had serious flaws.

I wonder if they had tapes that were improperly stored. This is just a guess though.

With this packaging, I will also pass. I would only be interested in a CD edition that would have a concert with it.

This makes me wonder if I have purchased my last Rush re-issue. I will be curious as to how many of these sell.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, treeduck said:

If they haven't got a live concert for this one, will they even bother doing one at all for GUP or Power Windows or Hold Your Fire? This one might be it.

f***ing exactly.  That's my line of questioning. 

The publisher who bought the rights to the band's shit is getting cheap and losing touch with who the fanbase are, what we know about the band's history (and what's out there) and what we want.

In my opinion of course.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

Not exactly related to the SIG40 Debacle.... but about a decade ago King Lerxst mentioned that he'd found a bunch of old show tapes in 'the bottom of his closet', and sent them to someone to catalog.

I don't know about the rest of you.... but i don't f***ing care what tours or shows those are. Mix and master them, and publish them.  I have dollars at this time in life and plenty of f***ing time to listen.

About a year ago I spent 75 bucks on the Asia official bootlegs Volume 1.  It's 6 shows of Wetton, Howe, Downes, and Palmer from the 80's and after their reunion in the early 2000s.  5 are SBD, 1 is AUD (A+).  I have them in rotation.  Great shows.

If those Rush tapes Lerxst talked about exist, I see no f***ing reason why they can't just put them out. Just like Asia did.

FFS.  Do it before the fanbase gets too old to give a shit. 

Edited by grep
typos
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, grep said:

I'm noticing that there's no CD version of this disaster.   I guess because they know that they'd never be able to sell enough 1 CD versions of the thing to justify production.

CD's are much cheaper to make than vinyl. Clearly we're being steered to the Super Deluxe Edition (or nothing at all. Seems like that's my choice.)

How can there not be a stand alone CD for this????  I get that this is basically the Hugh Syme show and he's the only one left tied to the history of the band but there is nothing musically interesting for me here besides the 2015 Magee master and the Atmos mix.

Besides. Where's the miniature replica dalmatian and fire hydrant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 78jazz said:

I wonder if they had tapes that were improperly stored. This is just a guess though.

With this packaging, I will also pass. I would only be interested in a CD edition that would have a concert with it.

This makes me wonder if I have purchased my last Rush re-issue. I will be curious as to how many of these sell.

I'm more curious to find out how many each of the these Super Deluxe Editions have been made.

1 hour ago, grep said:

Not exactly related to the SIG40 Debacle.... but about a decade ago King Lerxst mentioned that he'd found a bunch of old how tapes in 'the bottom of his closet', and sent them to someone to catalog.

I don't know about the rest of you.... but i don't f***ing care what tours or shows those are. Mix and master them, and publish them.  I have dollars at this time in life and plenty of f***ing time to listen.

About a year ago I spent 75 bucks on the Asia official bootlegs Volume 1.  It's 6 shows of Wetton, Howe, Downes, and Palmer from the 80's and afer their reunion in the early 2000s.  5 are SBD, 1 is AUD (A+).  I have them in rotation.  Great shows.

If those Rush tapes Lerxst talked about exist, I see no f***ing reason why they can't just put them out. Just like Asia did.

FFS.  Do it before the fanbase gets too old to give a shit. 

I have something similar called Quadra which is a live Asia box with the Pittsburgh '82 show, Worecester '83 and Frankfurt Germany in '90 (with Pat  Thrall on guitar) The first two are audience recordings.  Essentially bootlegs. While I would Rush doing something like this eventually (they won't) I don't think they should be paired with something as nicely designed with "added value" as this box.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, malm_51 said:

Seriously, who's going to shell out 200 plus for this cluster*#$%???

I really wanted a 2015 Magee master on CD, but I'm not shelling out $230 for it.

Already have the original and reissue vinyl and All of the CD issues for Signals (except this one I guess.)

Wow.

• Like 1

Based on the lack of decent material circulating from the Signals period, I was pinning my hopes on a live show being made available with the anniversary edition. I am gutted to say the least!

• Like 5