Fifty Years of Dark Side of the Moon

Nova Carmina

So is it, even with all the overplaying, overpraising, and overparsing, Pink Floyd's best album? Or just their most famous one?

I wish I could listen to DSOTM with virgin ears again, just to _hear_ it like any other album. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

So is it, even with all the overplaying, overpraising, and overparsing, Pink Floyd's best album? Or just their most famous one?

Their best album is always a matter of opinion.  Even the "experts" will disagree, as they also just give their opinions.

The first three compact discs I bought back in the early 80's were Moving Pictures, The Dark Side of The Moon, and Led Zeppelin IV.  So, according to Me, those three albums are the greatest albums ever made.  :biggrin:      

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Their best album is always a matter of opinion.  Even the "experts" will disagree, as they also just give their opinions.

The first three compact discs I bought back in the early 80's were Moving Pictures, The Dark Side of The Moon, and Led Zeppelin IV.  So, according to Me, those three albums are the greatest albums ever made.  :biggrin:      

Pretty hard to argue against that, really.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

I am sure the band never dreamed that that album would be so historic.

Has any band ever been ready for the consequences of making a smash hit album?  The Limelight increases exponentially, the fan worship, the expectations of their futures albums being just as great.....it's not for the timid!  

• Like 1

Random but interesting trivia......a long long time ago stoners used to play both the movie "The Wizard of Oz" and the album "Dark Side Of The Moon" at the same time. The theory was- the movie and album had subliminal messages that complimented eachother.

In reality some of the plot points in "The Wizard Of Oz" discussed events that were coming to pass in American culture.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY
  • Like 1

This album created a formula for success they would replicate on the next few albums. It's a masterpiece.

I think they did even better on Wish You Were Here, though. To me, that album is their absolute peak.

• Like 1

Is it weird that DSOTM turning fifty doesn’t phase me since I’m only 24? I first heard the album about ten years ago when it was celebrating its 40th anniversary, so it doesn’t really feel to me like the album’s changed much since I first encountered it.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, BigMontanaSKY said:

Random but interesting trivia......a long long time ago stoners used to play both the movie "The Wizard of Oz" and the album "Dark Side Of The Moon" at the same time. The theory was- the movie and album had subliminal messages that complimented eachother.

In reality some of the plot points in "The Wizard Of Oz" discussed events that were coming to pass in American culture.

:yes:

Start Dark Side at the transition from black and white to color 

You can do something similar with 2112 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Got this on CD in May of 1999 after hearing Eclipse in 6th period philosophy class for my last year and semester of high school.  It was presented by some student who graduated same year as me.  Forgot his name but I remember him being a big fan of Jimmy Buffet and Grateful Dead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goose said:

:yes:

Start Dark Side at the transition from black and white to color 

You can do something similar with 2112 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I’ve never heard of that one!

Roger re-recorded the whole album apparently. 

Going to be interesting to hear what he did with it.

It is such an amazing record - perhaps over exposed, but when you really take the time to take the journey with it, it never fails to astound and move me....I mean, Great Gig In The Sky?!  It is such a singular piece of music to find in the middle of an album like that.  Amazing.

That said, Wish You Were here, if I have a gun to my head, is my #1.  But the run of Meddle to Final Cut is really something special in music history.  ( I know some people would stop that run at The Wall...and I'm not in the mood for Final Cut very often, but I think it is a powerful piece none the less...)

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 10:26 AM, Nova Carmina said:

I wish I could listen to DSOTM with virgin ears again, just to _hear_ it like any other album. 

I was never able to hear this album with virgin ears since my local classic rock station played the crap out of almost every song on it. So by the time I listened to it I already knew 90 percent of it. It was cool to learn that all these songs I knew were on the same album. Still an all time classic no matter how you first heard it.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, BigMontanaSKY said:

A couple months ago, I saw a Pink Floyd laser show (no live band, just playing the albums) and part of the show included some of the 'Wizard of Oz' in the background.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, apetersvt said:

A couple months ago, I saw a Pink Floyd laser show (no live band, just playing the albums) and part of the show included some of the 'Wizard of Oz' in the background.

Laser Floyd has had a heckuva run.  I'm sure it's still awesome, and hope to take my son some day.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:30 AM, Principled Man said:

I can't argue with those three picks.  Thread ended with this post IMO.  lol

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, Timbale said:

It is such an amazing record - perhaps over exposed, but when you really take the time to take the journey with it, it never fails to astound and move me....I mean, Great Gig In The Sky?!  It is such a singular piece of music to find in the middle of an album like that.  Amazing.

That said, Wish You Were here, if I have a gun to my head, is my #1.  But the run of Meddle to Final Cut is really something special in music history.  ( I know some people would stop that run at The Wall...and I'm not in the mood for Final Cut very often, but I think it is a powerful piece none the less...)

Obscured ranks very high on my Floyd album list.  A precursor to DSOTM, that to my ears, surpasses DSOTM on some songs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

Obscured ranks very high on my Floyd album list.  A precursor to DSOTM, that to my ears, surpasses DSOTM on some songs.

You know, I've never really given that record the time of day.  I'm not sure why.  I heard it at some point - around the time I heard all their stuff for the first time - and I think it along with Atom Heart Mother just didn't really grab me.  I shall give it a spin and re-assess.  :)

• Like 2