Favorite Sad Albums

Meow

2 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The interesting thing about this album is the box set has 8 shows, and they are all fantastic.  I played the Lights Out album to death when I first got it.  It's up there with the likes of Moving Pictures, Paranoid, Pyromonia, and Fair Warning for me.

Okay so here agree!

Playing Lights Out a lot at the moment, and I think it's fantastic. 

(I posted this album in the wrong thread).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I would put Lights Out and Obsession up against almost any other band's best output.

I also find Phenomenon ridiculously good as well. I also played the first two albums, not as good. Schenker brought something special (no surprise, I like Scorpions as well!)

Animals and The Wall would top my list.  I love that they both take the listener deep into the darker parts of the human psyche yet end with a  glimmer of hope

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

Whaaaaaat!  That album is dynamite!!!!

It's definitely a great album, but Rush aren't short of those.

I don't have time to Google search whether this album is self-titled, but Duncan Sheik's record with "Barely Breathing" on it is a sad gem.

The overtone is a Buddhist type posture of accepting sadness in romances.

The song "Barely Breathing" is about being emotionally abused by a partner.

I don't personally amp up the sad times with sad music. I turn on some heavy metal or trance and try to move past that mood, as people with mood disorders don't need any reason to get entrenched in a bad sad mood.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:50 AM, yyz305 said:

I LOVE that album - I remember it like yesterday, even though it came out 40 years ago!

It's over two decades since I first got it. :laugh:  Sometime during Spring Break of my first Spring semester of college in Y2K.  I was in a Cure/Depeche/Smiths frame of mind with some Police, Duran and U2 thrown in at times.  Nice solitude from the Bizkit crap that dominated "alternative" stations.

10 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Better than the adult contemporary crap of Presto.

I used to love that album, but it's faded for me somewhat. It's not so much the style of music, after all I love Roll The Bones. But the flat production doesn't really help. But many of the songs feel like b-side material. I still think it's good, and play it from time to time. But it's framed by two of my favourite Rush albums in HYF and RTB.

Much more drawn to sad, or I suppose more specifically, melancholy music than upbeat music.  Like, I adore the Beatles, all of it, but I'll take Strawberry Fields over Good Day Sunshine most of the time.

It would take a long time to list all the sad music I love.  The first artist that popped into my head was Aimee Mann.  She cuts right to my soul.  

• Like 2

I don't bring this up in Real Life, because there is an enormous amount of misunderstanding about autism: I really don't understand emotions all that well, and I only identify them with great difficulty. But here I'm anonymous and so I feel safe! (On FB I once [once!] broached this subject, under my real name, and was accused of "wanting attention" and other bizarre things. That shut me down for years.)

Anyway, the existence of this thread bothered me for a long time because I don't know what a "sad album" is. But tonight, listening to New Order's Power, Corruption & Lies, I was hit with what I think is sadness. Or melancholy? Well, whatever it is, it's beautiful. 

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chronos said:

I don't bring this up in Real Life, because there is an enormous amount of misunderstanding about autism: I really don't understand emotions all that well, and I only identify them with great difficulty. But here I'm anonymous and so I feel safe! (On FB I once [once!] broached this subject, under my real name, and was accused of "wanting attention" and other bizarre things. That shut me down for years.)

Anyway, the existence of this thread bothered me for a long time because I don't know what a "sad album" is. But tonight, listening to New Order's Power, Corruption & Lies, I was hit with what I think is sadness. Or melancholy? Well, whatever it is, it's beautiful. 

You should not worry about discussing the fact that you're not neurotypical.  I suspect many here are familiar with the spectrum.  Anyone who suggest you're looking for attention by disclosing that fact is a jack@ss IMO.

Melancholy is indeed sadness. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You should not worry about discussing the fact that you're not neurotypical.  I suspect many here are familiar with the spectrum.  Anyone who suggest you're looking for attention by disclosing that fact is a jack@ss IMO.

Thank you.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Now, there's an album with some sad songs here and there.  To Forgive instantly comes to mind.  Very similar to Disarm regarding Billy's childhood.