In The End (underrated song imo)

New_World_Man

I just heard this on Sirus XM's deep tracks channel earlier today and it made me remember that I always seem to read where people don't think much of this one. Maybe people don't like it because it's centered mostly around the guitar riff but what a riff it is. I'd say next to By Tor And The Snow Dog it's maybe my favorite from FBN. The title track is a bit too overplayed imo. The whole album is great but this has always been one of my favorites from it.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, New_World_Man said:

I just heard this on Sirus XM's deep tracks channel earlier today and it made me remember that I always seem to read where people don't think much of this one. Maybe people don't like it because it's centered mostly around the guitar riff but what a riff it is. I'd say next to By Tor And The Snow Dog it's maybe my favorite from FBN. The title track is a bit too overplayed imo. The whole album is great but this has always been one of my favorites from it.

Yep, I'm not crazy about the title track compared to the other singles of theirs.  Same with Closer to the Heart.  Some songs just wear out their welcome on radio.  Black Dog by Zep is a personal one for me.

• Like 1

Was always fun to play along to and crank the amp up after the acoustic bit 

"One two buckle my shoe" :smile:

The pre-Professor lyrics are a bit weak but I agree it is a classic riff. 

Didn't really fit in with the music they went on to create which is maybe why it wouldn't last long in the setlist, save for a snippet in the Moving Pictures medley. 

• Like 1

I love this song.

I've been saying for a while that I want In the End played at my funeral during the recessional.  The live version from All the World's a Stage.  It'd be totally unexpected...particularly when the first part is rather melodic, quiet and poignant sounding in tone, and then the pause and it comes in hard and oh so good.  I think it'd lighten the mood a little and send everyone along on a higher note.  Particularly with the applause and  "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!":wink:

Not that I plan on having one soon.  A funeral that is.

Still...it's good to have plans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So glad I logged in tonight!

I love this song. Not only is it part of the first album with them together, every song feels like their own - no filler songs or remakes of other artists (not talking about Feedback, at all) to round out a full record.

Key changes and strumming chords can sound tired, but it really feels alive with In The End. I wait for the different guitar sounds and really enjoy hearing it, every time. It's like a juvenile Far Cry?

Nice one, New_World_Man, I agree - an underrated song and deserves to be celebrated in its own right :cheer:

(Side note, the mixing on this album is interesting. Rivendell is practically un-listenable? And a shame because it's another example of what the guys really, really wanted to write and play, no? There was a re-mix of Vapor Trails, I think there should be a re-mix of Fly By Night) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Was always fun to play along to and crank the amp up after the acoustic bit 

"One two buckle my shoe" :smile:

The pre-Professor lyrics are a bit weak but I agree it is a classic riff. 

Didn't really fit in with the music they went on to create which is maybe why it wouldn't last long in the setlist, save for a snippet in the Moving Pictures medley. 

Mr. Lurkst, teach me/please explain a bit more what you are thinking?

You play guitar, I don't, but I like what you are saying about cranking up the amp - I really like the pauses in the song and then the super sharp Alex guitar riffs!

Is the "one two..." quote, something Alex said on stage at some point? Or a soundcheck? Rings a bell from a concert video...

I looked at the album jacket after seeing this post (CDs are too small to read nowadays without glasses on hand) and all songs are credited with all three members - except for Best I Can and In The End.

So not pre-Professor lyrics, but Lee/Lifeson? Yes, not every moment of their musical history has the exact correct reference, but are you just generally saying the music is still in the early stages?

I also like cranking up the first album every once in a while, and that is simple stuff! But still fun to hear. And credits at that point are perhaps ambiguous...

Maybe it all fits with the music they went on to create? The beginnings must help the successes of the endings? Influences and such...

And I have never really paid a lot of attention to play lists, thank you for the mention of a limited "shelf life/pick list" - I will watch for this rarely played live song, now more often. Looks like it will be an easy chore!

Cheers. I would really appreciate any positive reply.

My trouble with In The End is that it's 10x better live than in the studio, and Rush are usually just as good live as in the studio, or maybe up to 2x better in specific cases, so being 10x better either tells me the live cut is incomprehensibly good, or the studio cut is just not as good as it should be, and I tend to believe the latter.

10 hours ago, Bahamas said:

Mr. Lurkst, teach me/please explain a bit more what you are thinking?

You play guitar, I don't, but I like what you are saying about cranking up the amp - I really like the pauses in the song and then the super sharp Alex guitar riffs!

Is the "one two..." quote, something Alex said on stage at some point? Or a soundcheck? Rings a bell from a concert video...

I looked at the album jacket after seeing this post (CDs are too small to read nowadays without glasses on hand) and all songs are credited with all three members - except for Best I Can and In The End.

So not pre-Professor lyrics, but Lee/Lifeson? Yes, not every moment of their musical history has the exact correct reference, but are you just generally saying the music is still in the early stages?

I also like cranking up the first album every once in a while, and that is simple stuff! But still fun to hear. And credits at that point are perhaps ambiguous...

Maybe it all fits with the music they went on to create? The beginnings must help the successes of the endings? Influences and such...

And I have never really paid a lot of attention to play lists, thank you for the mention of a limited "shelf life/pick list" - I will watch for this rarely played live song, now more often. Looks like it will be an easy chore!

Cheers. I would really appreciate any positive reply.

Wow, a few questions to answer here!

I just recall jamming with friends in my youth, and the pause after the quiet intro was an opportunity to turn up the volume to much amusement :smile:

"One two buckle my shoe" was one of the things Geddy would say during the gap (ref ATWAS).

They played In The End and Best I Can at the first shows with Neil literally days after he joined, which would suggest they had been written prior to that. Although I don't think I've seen evidence of John Rutsey performing those songs live (setlist details of the Rush album tour are understandably elusive).

Always annoyed me that they kept the extremely weak In The Mood in their setlists right up until the 90s, when there were some fantastic older cuts that were rarely or never revived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I don't think I've seen evidence of John Rutsey performing those songs live (setlist details of the Rush album tour are understandably elusive).

Here's an old thread on Rutsey playing Best I Can

And here's a link to the video, with Rutsey introducing the song

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFjtObiaqO5U&ved=2ahUKEwiU2ZL5ybj9AhWeDEQIHfsfBFEQ3yx6BAgWEAI&usg=AOvVaw0TZ4lcEnllaMA7BVZkFfDk

• Like 1

Part of my Select Six:

In The End
Something For Nothing
*Lessons
*Tears
*Entre Nous
*Different Strings

*these are also my Obscure Four.  :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grep said:

Part of my Select Six:

In The End
Something For Nothing
*Lessons
*Tears
*Entre Nous
*Different Strings

*these are also my Obscure Four.  :)

I trust you are focusing on the oldies but goodies! No Natural Science in that mix? Beneath, Between and Behind?

You're calling them the Obscure Four, cool! - maybe those four songs could include another song and then magically be called "Part Five of Obscure Four", sort of like "Part Four of the Fear Trilogy"?

Okay, New_World_Man, I will stop trying to derail this topic - promise!

Back to In The End :musik19:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bahamas said:

I trust you are focusing on the oldies but goodies! No Natural Science in that mix? Beneath, Between and Behind?

You're calling them the Obscure Four, cool! - maybe those four songs could include another song and then magically be called "Part Five of Obscure Four", sort of like "Part Four of the Fear Trilogy"?

Okay, New_World_Man, I will stop trying to derail this topic - promise!

Back to In The End :musik19:

Nope.  Those 4 and those 6 are in classes of their own, IMO. 

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

You can almost imagine what the second Rush album would've been like if John hadn't left...

Side 1

Best I Can

I've Been Running

Bad Boy

The Loser

Side 2

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road

In The End

Not sure what would've appeared to flesh out the rest. Neil discussed jamming an early version of Anthem (minus lyrics) at his audition. Maybe that would've been there as a quite different song. Parts of By-Tor were also jammed during Working Man, maybe a variation of that could've been produced (again minus the Tolkien-esque theme)???

Ok. I see that according to wikipedia the lyrics to this one and "Best I Can" were both done by Geddy. Was the rest of the album's lyrics done by Peart?

Also, and I'm not sure everyone will agree with me here but imo the FBN album is a little closer in sound to CoS than it is to the debut. I admit a part of that is Peart's drums and lyrics but not just that. 

Edited by New_World_Man

18 minutes ago, New_World_Man said:

Ok. I see that according to wikipedia the lyrics to this one and "Best I Can" were both done by Geddy. Was the rest of the album's lyrics done by Peart?

Also, and I'm not sure everyone will agree with me here but imo the FBN album is a little closer in sound to CoS than it is to the debut. I admit a part of that is Peart's drums and lyrics but not just that. 

I think the rest of the album credits all three of them.

And I don't know how to describe exactly the relationship with FBN with albums to come, but it is absolutely a departure from the rockin' bar band sounds of the first album.

10 hours ago, New_World_Man said:

The rest of the lyrics were written by Neil, mostly on the road as you can tell by the inner sleeve...

0f4df9698a42637f1857622f35ab30de.594x594

89522b890246b8b8b7ef31eb5ee14ecd.598x598

I believe Beneath, Between & Behind were the first lyrics Neil presented to Geddy and Alex. They must've been like "WHAT THE ????!" :laugh:

Re your other point I would agree, possibly because those records were made just a few months apart in 1975. The debut album was recorded two years earlier (the release of Rush was delayed several months due to the 1973 oil crisis restricting the availability of vinyl).

Edited by Lurkst

Actually, according to wikipedia, the recording dates for the first two were separated by 13 months (November of 73 for the first and December of 74 for FBN). 

• Like 1