Tim McCarver (1941-2023) Longtime MLB Catcher, Broadcaster and Gibson's & Carlton's "Catcher of Choice"

Principled Man

• The title was changed to Tim McCarver (1941-2023) Longtime MLB Catcher, Broadcaster and Gibson's & Carlton's "Catcher of Choice"
1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

gibson-mccarver-021623.jpg

Nice to see.  Not sure it was always this way, McCarver once said (iirc) he went to the mound during a game and Gibson said something like, "get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Nice to see.  Not sure it was always this way, McCarver once said (iirc) he went to the mound during a game and Gibson said something like, "get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it."

Gibson was not always a pleasant man.  He was fierce and proud.  He wasn't afraid to blame his catcher when something went wrong....  

Edited by Principled Man

McCarver was Rick Wise's catcher when he threw his no-hitter against the Reds at Riverfront Stadium (1971).  Just one walk to Dave Concepción.  

Wise also hit two homers in his 4-0 blanking of the Reds.  It's one of the greatest performances by a MLB pitcher.    

I was at the game, right behind the Reds' dugout, in awe of my heroes. While everyone was standing and applauding Wise after the last out, I was seated and crying.  It was my first ever Reds game, and THIS happened?!  :rage:

I didn't know any of the Phillies players. I was 9 years old; why would I care about them?  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I remember him well, playing against the Pirates in the 70s!  I wouldn't have guessed he had turned 81; he always seemed younger than that.  RIP, Tim.  :rose:  A handsome guy, great player, and great analyst.  You will be missed.