2023 College Basketball thread

laughedatbytime

Well, UConn has about 106% chance of winning, just because that's the worst case outcome.

Just to make the result official, Go Canes!

• Like 1

Bwahaha what a joke.  FAU was bad enough but MyJamMe is an embarrassment.  All South Florida should hang its head in shame.  Can't wait to see how Hyde spins this in the Sun-Sentinel.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Congratulations SDSU.  FAU just couldn't match the Aztecs physically, and SD beat them up.  That Technical fired the Aztecs up, as iffy as that call was.

On to game two, and please no more "UConn by a deuce" jokes.

The Aztecs grabbed a lot of offensive rebounds in the second half and I think that hurt the Owls a lot. Regardless of who you wanted to win it was a heck of a finish unlike the Uconn game. Ugh.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 6:56 AM, The Analog Cub said:

UConn has looked pretty unstoppable throughout the entire tournament. Might be yet another title for them 

Looks that way.  :yes:

On the ladies' side,  LSU shot lights out in the first half and put up a record 59 points. Down 17, Iowa needs to lock down defensively and put up a pile of points to have any chance

The LSU coach dresses like what Nigel said about Jeannine in Spinal Tap times 1000.

Edited by laughedatbytime
Important edit: it was Ian Faith, not Nigel who said Jeannine looked like an Australian's nightmare.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

The LSU coach dresses like what Nigel said about Jeannine in Spinal Tap times 1000.

She got those ladies to play, though!  Down the stretch the Lady Tigers filled it up.  Congrats to them

• Like 1

Just now, goose said:

She got those ladies to play, though!  Down the stretch the Lady Tigers filled it up.  Congrats to them

I watched the last quarter and didn't think the officiating had much of an effect but they were excoriating the refs on twitter.  Was it that bad?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I watched the last quarter and didn't think the officiating had much of an effect but they were excoriating the refs on twitter.  Was it that bad?

Yeah, all game it was sketchy.  Early a flagrant LSU elbow was let go.  Other ticky tack fouls were called on players from both sides. Then in the second half there was a point where Iowa was making a charge, got it down to seven, and the refs let an obvious LSU  rebounding foul go uncalled and instead awarded LSU the ball out of bounds. Later they called a foul on an Iowa big, then gave Clark a bogus technical.  Then LSU went on its shooting run to seal it.

LSU deserved the win though, know doubt.

Headlines:  Referees ruin LSU-Iowa women's title game with their atrocious officiating

https://sports.yahoo.com/referees-ruin-lsu-iowa-womens-223515117.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKsngE400ueTdqc5vJu2gDCR92-oK935UtaGnl3XCaBZxft5KYAJbBRjdvfJsPyX0dhQbr3_5zB8XmIGZLRR2gJHeq5eHdcV0za4C8_d8R4c0vqgBceFrqT1d3RSUt1m1fEznlhupAvic-ZyboH2_nS_JV94nmgeju5ZMywe35wX

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, goose said:

Yeah, all game it was sketchy.  Early a flagrant LSU elbow was let go.  Other ticky tack fouls were called on players from both sides. Then in the second half there was a point where Iowa was making a charge, got it down to seven, and the refs let an obvious LSU  rebounding foul go uncalled and instead awarded LSU the ball out of bounds. Later they called a foul on an Iowa big, then gave Clark a bogus technical.  Then LSU went on its shooting run to seal it.

LSU deserved the win though, know doubt.

Headlines:  Referees ruin LSU-Iowa women's title game with their atrocious officiating

https://sports.yahoo.com/referees-ruin-lsu-iowa-womens-223515117.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKsngE400ueTdqc5vJu2gDCR92-oK935UtaGnl3XCaBZxft5KYAJbBRjdvfJsPyX0dhQbr3_5zB8XmIGZLRR2gJHeq5eHdcV0za4C8_d8R4c0vqgBceFrqT1d3RSUt1m1fEznlhupAvic-ZyboH2_nS_JV94nmgeju5ZMywe35wX

I have a former direct report who is a huge Iowa fan.  I will have to ask her her reaction tomorrow.  But it seems pretty unanimous that it was horrible.  I did see the tech on replay and that was atrocious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

The LSU coach told Clark she was a "generational player" which seems a lot classier than her star player. 

Trash talking on the court is so lame.  Clark has done it, Reese did it to Clark, blah blah blah..... there's even an article about it in the Washington Post.  

These student-athletes should be smart enough to know that what they're doing on the court is nothing.  It's just entertainment for the masses.  They're celebrities for a moment, and then almost everyone will forget about them in a month.  What will they be doing with their lives after the limelight is turned off?        

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, edhunter said:

Ugh. UConn is playing horribly right now. We're up 10 but it should be 20. Freakin' Hurley.

Any trash-talk hand gestures going on?  There must be a few cameramen scanning every player..... :tongue:

• Haha 1

SD St keeps going at Clingan for some reason.  The result is static offense and wasted possessions.  I get that the defensive end of the game is taking a lot of energy, but it's the finals and the Aztecs' only hope is dynamic offense creating open outside shots and cuts to the basket.

This is going to be the worst case scenario, the Aztecs keep it close enough so that I  stay up for the whole game, but still lose, and tomorrow morning comes too early.

• Haha 1

Why the hell does Jim Dutcher still live in Minnesota at his age, especially since he's got a son that lives in San Diego?

Just now, edhunter said:

UConn took their foot off the gas and let them back into the game. Freakin' Hurley.

They need Kevin Ollie back.   If you're with me I'll do what I can to make it happen (which admittedly isn't much).