2023 College Basketball thread

laughedatbytime

No posts on this yet.   Looks like another year Big Ten schools will disappoint in the big tourney as this is the kind of horseshit officiating teams will have to unlearn.

• Like 1

Is there any evidence that the incessant fouling at the end of games actually works? Has there been any consistent success for teams down by five to eight points to win the game in this way? It takes forf***ingever to end these not-quite-close games, and to what end? I've never seen it work, but I've only seen a small sliver of college games, even over forty years, so do you suppose there's any sound theory behind this, or is it just "we've always done that" coaching bollocks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Is there any evidence that the incessant fouling at the end of games actually works? Has there been any consistent success for teams down by five to eight points to win the game in this way? It takes forf***ingever to end these not-quite-close games, and to what end? I've never seen it work, but I've only seen a small sliver of college games, even over forty years, so do you suppose there's any sound theory behind this, or is it just "we've always done that" coaching bollocks?

Don't know if you've ever heard of the Elam Ending but it would prevent this pretty well.  You play till three minutes left to go and then add 8 to the winning team's score and the first to that point total would win.  (The details might be slightly wrong but the concepts apply.)

The fouling strategy COULD work in college if a team has six fouls and the next three free throw opportunities are 1-1s, but even then the success rate is exceedingly low and the ends of the game are excruciatingly interminable, I can't imagine anyone enjoying it.  I think it does increase the variance of outcomes which accrues to the benefit of the losing team since success is binary, so it's probably the best available strategy but it should be simple to come up with a solution, like the one above, or just awarding the ball back to a team in certain situations until it becomes suboptimal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

It works often enough for it to be worth doing from a coaching standpoint.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goose said:

It works often enough for it to be worth doing from a coaching standpoint.  

Even if the odds were worse than they are, coaches would still do it because the alternative is a guaranteed loss. The one's that are ridiculous are when a team is down 12 or 15 points with 30 seconds and they make a bucket and immediately call a time out.

Sometimes I wonder if the coaches feel pressure from an AD to try something instead of letting nature take it's course, as it were.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fordgalaxy said:

Even if the odds were worse than they are, coaches would still do it because the alternative is a guaranteed loss. The one's that are ridiculous are when a team is down 12 or 15 points with 30 seconds and they make a bucket and immediately call a time out.

Sometimes I wonder if the coaches feel pressure from an AD to try something instead of letting nature take it's course, as it were.

Well, down 12 if you get a steal on the inbound and hit the quick trey you are down 9.  You can do that five times in 30 seconds, theoretically.  I've been on the good and bad end of weird endings to games, because sometimes things just unravel with turnovers, baseline violations, foul calls, technicals...

Still, more often than not a coach is delaying the likely outcome

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:22 PM, goose said:

Well, down 12 if you get a steal on the inbound and hit the quick trey you are down 9.  You can do that five times in 30 seconds, theoretically.  I've been on the good and bad end of weird endings to games, because sometimes things just unravel with turnovers, baseline violations, foul calls, technicals...

Still, more often than not a coach is delaying the likely outcome

Iowa just came back from a 10 pt deficit in the last 40 seconds, by hitting five threes, forcing a turnover and having MSU go 5-6 from.the line.   They won in OT.

This after being 6-52 in their last two games from 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Iowa just came back from a 10 pt deficit in the last 40 seconds, by hitting five threes, forcing a turnover and having MSU go 5-6 from.the line.   They won in OT.

This after being 6-52 in their last two games from 3.

There you go.

:drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To echo something LABT said in last year's thread, damn ESPN's two-hour windows for these games. I get twenty minutes of Arizona-Arizona St. and miss ten minutes of the UK-Auburn game I was recording.

Still, the end of AZ-ASU was worth seeing!

• Like 3

Rutgers, a team considered to be a lock for the tourney, gives up a ten point lead in the final minute to a team outside of the Kenpom top 200.

The moral of the story is, foul, foul, foul.  Make it uglier than Rosie O'Donnell.

• Haha 1

Tonighy in the Big Sky tourney  my Alma Mater and #1 seed EWU went down to #9 seed Northern AZ on a deep buzzer beater by a guy who hadn't made a trey in a month!  Madness!

6 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Some great finishes today: UH v Memphis, Michigan v Indiana, etc.

That Memphis court is a travesty.

Goose, you gonna put together a pool for the NIT, given the Eastern Washington Eagles presence in the field?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Goose, you gonna put together a pool for the NIT, given the Eastern Washington Eagles presence in the field?

Finally an NIT worth watching!

This time of year is usually pretty interesting. From the talking heads on television saying what team should have been selected or what team shouldn't have been selected to the inevitable upsets that are fun to watch unless they beat your favorite team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goose said:

Looking forward to the Nevada-AZ St game :popcorn:

Texas A&M Corpus Christi vs Southeastern LA in the opener.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

TAMCC taking care of business so far.

T A&M CC holds on, doesn't have to change their nickname to Maple Leafs to denote their lack of postseason success.

• Haha 1