Joe Mendelson AKA Mendelson Joe, recently passed away.

Bahamas

I did a search and didn't see a post.

He passed away Feb. 7. I am not typically touched by the passing of "famous people" (except Neil - wow that was a kicker) but the eccentric Canadian painter, musician and long time friend of Rush just feels like it is worth recording in the forums of our beloved band. I read Ray had a painting of his in the office.

As an early touring act with Rush, they remained friends until the end.

In later years, Neil mentions in one of his books about visiting and talking about life.

May he rest in peace, going out the way he wanted.

• Like 4

Yeah, Not a lot of his music ever made it down here in the US. Only reason I even became aware was that Rush would always mention him in the early years. Mostly was aware of his music although I was never able to find it. Seems like something I would have enjoyed. Can't imagine it's any easier to find. I wonder if there's any art to check out.

There is a gallery featuring his artwork - and then Youtube has some footage of songs and live concerts.

His artwork can be seen at karenrobinsongallery.com (It's the Karen Robins Ontario gallery, if that makes sense)

Some portraits you can recognise right away (mostly Canadian) but others were likely done for various political statements and such.

If you go too far down the rabbit hole, you will see that he chose to use the federal government sanctioned medical assisted dying application, because of Parkinson's and his wish to die as he chose.

• Like 1

When CITYTV had The New Music program and a show called Speakers Corner, Mendelson Joe had a profile around the city. Lefty politics

RIP Joe, you were all right in my booklet

Edited by taurus
  • Like 1