45 years ago today everything changed...

goose

27 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I can still remember being at my friend's house and listening to his older brother's copy of that album for the first time.  Eruption came on and I thought, "How is he doing that?"

Yep, my cousin spun the vinyl for me and my brother and we said the same thing. I was only a couple of years into playing guitar when VH1 came out so that was a watershed moment for me. So many people back then had someone they know tell them "Wait till you hear this" as they pulled that album out of the sleeve and dropped the needle on Eruption.

But what made Eddie and VH the complete package was that the songs were so damn good -- they weren't just vehicles for guitar solos like for so many of the bands and flashy guitar shredders that came after. Van Halen's songs have aged well -- they don't sound dated like so many of the hair band songs that followed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

But what made Eddie and VH the complete package was that the songs were so damn good -- they weren't just vehicles for guitar solos like for so many of the bands and flashy guitar shredders that came after. 

EVH always said that he was most proud of his rhythm playing. 

I agree. His solos could be too much sometimes.

But his rhythm playing is literally the best I've ever heard. It's bouncy like a cartoon and gleeful but not immature. Really genius level. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

EVH always said that he was most proud of his rhythm playing. 

I agree. His solos could be too much sometimes.

But his rhythm playing is literally the best I've ever heard. It's bouncy like a cartoon and gleeful but not immature. Really genius level. 

:goodone:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I can still remember being at my friend's house and listening to his older brother's copy of that album for the first time.  Eruption came on and I thought, "How is he doing that?"

I was walking past the house of an older teenager and couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I remember I had Steve Miller's Book of Dreams in my hand, and thinking that Jungle Love suddenly didn't kick so much ass.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, goose said:

I was walking past the house of an older teenager and couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I remember I had Steve Miller's Book of Dreams in my hand, and thinking that Jungle Love suddenly didn't kick so much ass.

We can both cherish Van Halen's debut as sublime and appreciate the greatness of Jungle Love, though.  :wink:

• Haha 1

I wasn't the hugest Van Halen fan back in the late 70's, but I definitely bought the debut album when it came out, and I played it to death.

....and I do credit them and a few other real bands for helping me get past my embarrassing KISS phase.   :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember not being impressed with VH S/T.  I was still too involved with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and The Who and had no room for new music.  

VH II changed my mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, custom55 said:

I remember not being impressed with VH S/T.  I was still too involved with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and The Who and had no room for new music.  

VH II changed my mind.

It was Dance The Night Away, wasn't it?   It had you up and movin' and groovin' all night long....  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

It was Dance The Night Away, wasn't it?   It had you up and movin' and groovin' all night long....  :biggrin:

More proof that it was in the rhythm worth that Eddie's true greatness lied!  :7up:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Light Up The Sky

What a great song.  

46 minutes ago, custom55 said:

Light Up The Sky

What a great song.  

The one time I saw Van Halen in concert was in Cincinnati, shortly after the Who Concert tragedy.  Roth told the crowd to "Light up" right before they started playing Light Up The Sky.  (Smoking and open flames were banned in the venue.)  

After the Show, the cops arrested Roth.  They released him afterwards, as they couldn't come up with any law that he had broken.....   :laugh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

The one time I saw Van Halen in concert was in Cincinnati, shortly after the Who Concert tragedy.  Roth told the crowd to "Light up" right before they started playing Light Up The Sky.  (Smoking and open flames were banned in the venue.)  

After the Show, the cops arrested Roth.  They released him afterwards, as they couldn't come up with any law that he had broken.....   :laugh:

Model citizen...zero discipline.

• Like 2