Attendance vs Capacity

Alexmai

Hello everybody!

I'm reading the book Wandering the face of the earth.

Since 2002, on VT, R30 and S&A tours, the attendance % was extremely poor, with often 40-60% of capacity.

I understand VT, after the 5 years hiatus, but after?

Why were they planning big venues when the results are often poor?

Thanks

Edited by Alexmai

I guess it was the loyal fans showing up. Weren't they not considered "cool" again until like 2010?

Thank you for thinking about this, Alexmai.

But I wonder if you are looking only at "capacity" and not so much at the ticket sales/seat occupancy?

Many things come together when considering these statistics.

I also have looked through Wandering, but it is very number/review specific. The whole picture is not that obvious?

The concerts were some of the biggest EVER that Rush had performed, huge numbers - but they were in soccer/football stadiums that are very, very large.

Those stadiums are meant to accommodate tens upon tens of thousands of fans - yet they were available for concert bookings, and the whole Rush team admits to not realising how popular they were down south.

It would look on paper that those shows were under attended, but a couple were, in fact, the biggest ever.

• Like 2

I saw a show where the whole top part was blocked off because they didn't sell enough tickets. But I also saw an outdoor show that must have had about 25 to 30,000 in attendance (if not more).  I had rather good seats on the floor and remember doing a lip synch contest with the guy next to me to "circumstances." 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:35 PM, jamie said:

I guess it was the loyal fans showing up. Weren't they not considered "cool" again until like 2010?

I think Rush became "cool" again when they returned to a heavier approach with Counterparts. I regret not seeing them then. 

• Like 1