On a forum dedicated to music and three exceptional musicians, there's no thread on music's biggest night, the Grammys?

laughedatbytime

Since when were the Grammy's ever about good music??

Jimi Hendrix never won a grammy, so in my mind, it is a sham.

• Like 1

This may be a hot take (or show I'm really old), but when I scan a list of winners of the likes of Lizzo, Kim Petras, Harry Styles, Beyonce, Sam Smith, etc., I don't see many actual "musicians." Get back to me when it's about music.

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

This may be a hot take (or show I'm really old), but when I scan a list of winners of the likes of Lizzo, Kim Petras, Harry Styles, Beyonce, Sam Smith, etc., I don't see many actual "musicians." Get back to me when it's about music.

Bwahaha, don't hold your breath.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Sounds about right.

We checked in periodically for a bit, but it just got to be too much.  I did watch Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder, who were fantastic.  I commented to my teenage daughter to note the difference between people actually singing and playing instruments and people making Tik Tok videos.

• Like 2

Some of our brethren are of course from non-US countries, where Grammy`s aren`t a real thing. Much as we discount the winners of the BRIT awards, sales are the only gauge they value and that`s rarely indicative of musical deliciousness.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, treeduck said:

maxresdefault.jpg

ok, so she and Harry were THE.BEST.

I did actually watch it, even though I hardly knew who anyone was, but the hip hop portion brought back a lot of fun memories.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

MAWG'S are reluctant to embrace new music. Especially music by non-white folks.

Okay, I'll bite -- what's a MAWG? I looked it up and didn't find anything that fit the context of your post. I'm assuming the "W" stands for "white" given your completely unnecessary need to race bait in a thread where we see  positive comments about hip hop, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Jimi Hendrix...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Okay, I'll bite -- what's a MAWG? I looked it up and didn't find anything that fit the context of your post. I'm assuming the "W" stands for "white" given your completely unnecessary need to race bait in a thread where we see  positive comments about hip hop, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Jimi Hendrix...

Middle aged white guys.   Just another example of how bigots refer to people they are bigoted against.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm aware of Lizzo, Kim Petras, Harry Styles and Sam Smith but I'm not familiar with their music, so I can't comment on their prowess as musicians, but I'll wholeheartedly disagree with you about Beyonce. You don't have to like her music to give her props for being a very skilled vocalist.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Lizzo’s singles are fantastic, haven’t heard her deep cuts. She’s absolutely a real musician. She sings and raps and even plays flute. Probably keys too, I think she went to music school.

Kim Petras is important as being one of the only mainstream transgender musicians right now, but as haven’t checked out her stuff. My understanding is it’s very sexually vulgar and lowest common denominator, which isn’t very representative of very many people in the trans community.

Harry Styles, though I hold an old bias against him for being in one of my most disliked bands ever, has a great voice and writes good songs, and his really big hit this past year is basically an indie rock song, which is pretty bold for a pop star in 2023.

Beyoncé speaks for herself. Listen to Lemonade from 2016.

Sam Smith has a beautiful voice and is a solid balladeer. Not a big fan of theirs, but I can’t deny those two facts.

• Like 2

All that said I don’t care about The Grammy’s as a concept. If I were a professional musician and I won a Grammy, unless my parents asked me to go I would stay home.

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I'm aware of Lizzo, Kim Petras, Harry Styles and Sam Smith but I'm not familiar with their music, so I can't comment on their prowess as musicians, but I'll wholeheartedly disagree with you about Beyonce. You don't have to like her music to give her props for being a very skilled vocalist.

27 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lizzo’s singles are fantastic, haven’t heard her deep cuts. She’s absolutely a real musician. She sings and raps and even plays flute. Probably keys too, I think she went to music school.

Kim Petras is important as being one of the only mainstream transgender musicians right now, but as haven’t checked out her stuff. My understanding is it’s very sexually vulgar and lowest common denominator, which isn’t very representative of very many people in the trans community.

Harry Styles, though I hold an old bias against him for being in one of my most disliked bands ever, has a great voice and writes good songs, and his really big hit this past year is basically an indie rock song, which is pretty bold for a pop star in 2023.

Beyoncé speaks for herself. Listen to Lemonade from 2016.

Sam Smith has a beautiful voice and is a solid balladeer. Not a big fan of theirs, but I can’t deny those two facts.

I am passingly familiar with most of this stuff as I have older children (19-23), so I've heard a bit. I don't have any problem with new music and I know tastes change, and if one mode of music was dominant forever, that's probably a sign of artistic atrophy. 

As a potential viewer of shows like this, though, my preferences are always for instrumentalism. I'm prepared to be wrong about this, but I'll bet the percentage of people who can sing like Sam Smith (whose voice I do enjoy) or Lizzo or Beyonce is much higher than the number of people who can play guitar like Alex or Jimmy Page, or bass like Geddy or Chris Squires. One of my own children, in fact, is an awarded vocalist, so it's not without affection that I say people who can sing are legion -- so I don't disagree that they are great singers, but a musician, in the sense of practiced virtuosity, is somebody who plays an instrument. What I know of Lizzo's flute is that it's pretty basic and pithy stuff, more an affectation than a showpiece. 

I never watch it anymore.  The Grammys lost all their credibility when they started handing out awards to people like Cardi B and Lizzo.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I am passingly familiar with most of this stuff as I have older children (19-23), so I've heard a bit. I don't have any problem with new music and I know tastes change, and if one mode of music was dominant forever, that's probably a sign of artistic atrophy. 

As a potential viewer of shows like this, though, my preferences are always for instrumentalism. I'm prepared to be wrong about this, but I'll bet the percentage of people who can sing like Sam Smith (whose voice I do enjoy) or Lizzo or Beyonce is much higher than the number of people who can play guitar like Alex or Jimmy Page, or bass like Geddy or Chris Squires. One of my own children, in fact, is an awarded vocalist, so it's not without affection that I say people who can sing are legion -- so I don't disagree that they are great singers, but a musician, in the sense of practiced virtuosity, is somebody who plays an instrument. What I know of Lizzo's flute is that it's pretty basic and pithy stuff, more an affectation than a showpiece. 

I wouldn’t call her a virtuoso and I had to go digging for this, but she can play. She’s got a bachelor’s degree in classical flute performance.

As for the comments about great singers being a dime a dozen, check out YouTube or Instagram and you’ll find virtuoso guitarists and bassists and drummers are also in overstock. They just don’t get Grammys. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krystal said:

I never watch it anymore.  The Grammys lost all their credibility when they started handing out awards to people like Cardi B and Lizzo.  

Cardi B is good at what she does. Not to mention it’s very good that the rap game has finally made more room for women superstars. 

I’ve already spoken about Lizzo

I should add that I don't feel bad that I don't "get," Kim Petras or Lizzo.  I'm in my 50s.  If you went to see Kim Petras live, would you expect to see a man my age there?  Why do you suppose that is?

For the same reason that there was no one who was as old as I was this past summer at Motley Crue when I saw them in 1988.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I should add that I don't feel bad that I don't "get," Kim Petras or Lizzo.  I'm in my 50s.  If you went to see Kim Petras live, would you expect to see a man my age there?  Why do you suppose that is?

For the same reason that there was no one who was as old as I was this past summer at Motley Crue when I saw them in 1988.

No need to feel bad if you don’t get something. I don’t really get K-Pop

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What’s wrong with Bonnie Raitt?

It's a bunch of "EVERYONE I DON'T LIKE IS A BOOMER!" crap from a lot people whose idea of "punk rock" is MGK.  Screw them.

They'd probably find her cool if her music was on a Stranger Things episode, though. :laugh:Or Depeche Mode in regards to The Last of Us.

• Like 1

Even if they had awesome acts all around, I still wouldn't watch because of that Corden wanker.  Ferguson to him is the BIGGEST downgrade in late night ever.  Colbert is the only one I give a damn about now since GOAT Conan retired.

I highly recommend Craig's "American on Purpose" book as well.

Edited by invisible airwave