Brady Retires (again)

edhunter

7 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Or are you one of those people who believe that Eli is better than Marino becuz RiNgZZZ!

This sort of "logic" cracks me up.

I think it's acceptable to assess a QB on his ability and not the team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Put prime Brady on the Dolphins teams Marino carried in the 80s and no one would have ever heard of the guy.

Right.  Because he was surrounded by Hall of Fame receivers his entire career.  Or he played in a system that allowed him to not lose games.  Oh, I'm sorry, he played in 2 systems that did that.  Or he was fortunate to play on teams that had dominated the league before he became the starting QB.

He was the MVP of 5 Super Bowls.  Full stop.

17 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Right.  Because he was surrounded by Hall of Fame receivers his entire career.  Or he played in a system that allowed him to not lose games.  Oh, I'm sorry, he played in 2 systems that did that.  Or he was fortunate to play on teams that had dominated the league before he became the starting QB.

He was the MVP of 5 Super Bowls.  Full stop.

He was a system guy in New England and went to the ideal situation in terms of a OL, receivers and defense in Tampa, before huge steps back as the players around him deteriorated along with him.

I will give him credit for winning a Super Bowl MVP with 145 passing yards, and less than 100 before the final drive, not to mention a difficult kick after a drive in which he completed one pass for over 10 yards and to a wide receiver, in a game he wouldn't have even been playing in if he hadn't benefited from an inane rule, possibly the greatest kick of all time, and an AFC Championship game where he led his team to zero points only to be bailed out by the previous starter and a stellar defensive effort.  THAT will probably never be repeated.

10 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

He was a system guy in New England and went to the ideal situation in terms of a OL, receivers and defense in Tampa, before huge steps back as the players around him deteriorated along with him.

I will give him credit for winning a Super Bowl MVP with 145 passing yards, and less than 100 before the final drive, not to mention a difficult kick after a drive in which he completed one pass for over 10 yards and to a wide receiver, in a game he wouldn't have even been playing in if he hadn't benefited from an inane rule, possibly the greatest kick of all time, and an AFC Championship game where he led his team to zero points only to be bailed out by the previous starter and a stellar defensive effort.  THAT will probably never be repeated.

What about the other 4?  Or his performance Super Bowl 52?

But I guess he does have to take the blame for not making any plays when Eli Manning drove the Giants down the field to game winning TDs twice.

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

What about the other 4?  Or his performance Super Bowl 52?

But I guess he does have to take the blame for not making any plays when Eli Manning drove the Giants down the field to game winning TDs twice.

Score more than 14 and 17, as happened 11 and 10 times, respectively, during the regular of the season and you might actually win those games.  But yeah, blame the defense, those losses cannot ever, ever be blamed awn Tawhmmy the GOAT.   I guess you can blame Welker too for not making a catch while flying through the air.

Of course, you can lead your team to 13 whole points and count it as your ring if your defense plays well enough.

LII was a pretty good performance, as a QB at least.   His performance as a WR was lacking, though.

1 minute ago, laughedatbytime said:

Score more than 14 and 17, as happened 11 and 10 times, respectively, during the regular of the season and you might actually win those games.  But yeah, blame the defense, those losses cannot ever, ever be blamed awn Tawhmmy the GOAT.   I guess you can blame Welker too for not making a catch while flying through the air.

Of course, you can lead your team to 13 whole points and count it as your ring if your defense plays well enough.

LII was a pretty good performance, as a QB at least.   His performance as a WR was lacking, though.

So the first part would apply to Marino in Super Bowl 19, right?  Don't throw 2 picks and your chances of winning go up quite a bit.

Lead your team to 14 points and you can actually cap off an undefeated season.

500 yards passing is "pretty good."  So we agree on that.

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

So the first part would apply to Marino in Super Bowl 19, right?  Don't throw 2 picks and your chances of winning go up quite a bit.

Lead your team to 14 points and you can actually cap off an undefeated season.

500 yards passing is "pretty good."  So we agree on that.

Yes, it does.  He faced a monster pass rush and had a bad game, after having had, in the context of the times, perhaps the greatest game ever to get them there two weeks earlier.

Leaving aside the extreme offensive contrast between 1972 and 2007 for a second, no one is making the case for Griese as the GOAT.  The defense was the strongest unit on that team.

As an aside, here's the halftime show from Super Bowl VII, from.Wikipedia.   This would be a major improvement from this year's show, with the added benefit of being that much shorter.

The halftime show, featured Woody Herman and the Michigan Marching Band along with The Citrus College Singers and Andy Williams, was titled "Happiness Is".[25][26][27][28] The show was produced by Tommy Walker.

Partial setlist:

"Put on a Happy Face" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"Woodchopper's Ball" (University of Michigan Marching Band with Woody Herman)
"La Virgen de la Macarena" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"This Land Is Your Land" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"Marmalade, Molasses & Honey" (Andy Williams)
"People" (Andy Williams)

2 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Yes, it does.  He faced a monster pass rush and had a bad game, after having had, in the context of the times, perhaps the greatest game ever to get them there two weeks earlier.

Leaving aside the extreme offensive contrast between 1972 and 2007 for a second, no one is making the case for Griese as the GOAT.  The defense was the strongest unit on that team.

I guess facing a good pass rush sometimes gives a QB a pass (no pun intended) on not winning a game.  Of course, if the QB never leads his team to another Super Bowl again, you can infer that maybe the QB bears more responsibility over the long term for the team's fortunes.  

Brady IS the GOAT.  He just didn't win every game in which he played.  But he won a lot more big ones than anyone else.

3 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

As an aside, here's the halftime show from Super Bowl VII, from.Wikipedia.   This would be a major improvement from this year's show, with the added benefit of being that much shorter.

The halftime show, featured Woody Herman and the Michigan Marching Band along with The Citrus College Singers and Andy Williams, was titled "Happiness Is".[25][26][27][28] The show was produced by Tommy Walker.

Partial setlist:

"Put on a Happy Face" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"Woodchopper's Ball" (University of Michigan Marching Band with Woody Herman)
"La Virgen de la Macarena" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"This Land Is Your Land" (University of Michigan Marching Band)
"Marmalade, Molasses & Honey" (Andy Williams)
"People" (Andy Williams)

I can't remember the last halftime show I watched.  Today will be no different.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I've already built that in for the time I need to do chores.

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Gotta piss and refresh the drink some time and not during play or the commercials.

Football just isn't football without Tom Brady.  I don't think I would ever watch a Super Bowl or halftime show again... unless Taylor Swift was performing in it.  

The reason why Taylor Swift has never done the halftime show is because it's sponsored by Pepsi and that would be a conflict with Taylor's Diet Coke contract. 

Edited by Krystal