Brady Retires (again)

edhunter

On 2/1/2023 at 10:09 PM, laughedatbytime said:

Nothing that half the league's quarterbacks couldn't have done.  5 for 8, 53 yards, three of the completions were dumpoffs to running backs, a 6 yard throw to a tight end, and one pass for 23 yards to a wide receiver.  Fortunately for him, Scott Norwood was not the kicker attempting the 48 harder to win the game.  Then again, if even after fumbling to lose the divisional playoff game, his kicker wouldn't have made a kick with as high a degree of difficulty as possible, he wouldn't have even been in this game.

The QB that won the year before had a better playoff run.

How did that guy do after that?

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Brady is no Joe Montana but he’s superior to Dan Marino. 

If by superior you mean inferior, then yes.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Brady is no Joe Montana but he’s superior to Dan Marino. 

There are plenty of guys who could throw the ball harder than Greg Maddux.  But not many were better pitchers.  It's sort of the same with Brady and playing quarterback.  Saying he's "no Joe Montana," is somewhat unreasonable.  Can you argue Montana was better?  Sure.  Is it obviously true?  No way.

Marino had a better arm.  There's a reason he never even played in a Super Bowl.  Talk about a guy who benefited from his receivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

There are plenty of guys who could throw the ball harder than Greg Maddux.  But not many were better pitchers.  It's sort of the same with Brady and playing quarterback.  Saying he's "no Joe Montana," is somewhat unreasonable.  Can you argue Montana was better?  Sure.  Is it obviously true?  No way.

Marino had a better arm.  There's a reason he never even played in a Super Bowl.  Talk about a guy who benefited from his receivers.

:goodone:

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Tell me that you've never watched football without telling me you've never watched football.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I expected more from you.  RNB is just saying that in an attempt to troll me,  I don't think he even believes it, how could

someone that smart subscribe to that type of nonsense.   I can't believe you'd fall for it.  I guess you could be trolling me too.

Or are you one of those people who believe that Eli is better than Marino becuz RiNgZZZ!

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

:laugh:

Put prime Brady on the Dolphins teams Marino carried in the 80s and no one would have ever heard of the guy.

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Tell me that you've never watched football without telling me you've never watched football.

In fairness, I forgot Marino did get humiliated in Super Bowl 19.  He probably wishes he could forget that game too.  Boy, did he stink the joint up.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

In fairness, I forgot Marino did get humiliated in Super Bowl 19.  He probably wishes he could forget that game too.  Boy, did he stink the joint up.

How'd Tahhhmmy do in the Super Bowl where the defense was able to get pressure with four?

At least some good came from it, all those people in the Third World got clothed with those 19-0 t-shirts printed prior to that game.   What a humanitarian Tahhhmmy is.

Just now, laughedatbytime said:

How'd Tahhhmmy do in the Super Bowl where the defense was able to get pressure with four?

At least some good came from it, all those people in the Third World got clothed with those 19-0 t-shirts printed prior to that game.   What a humanitarian Tahhhmmy is.

How many Super Bowls did he lose by 3 touchdowns?

6 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

And we do not pronounce it, "Tahhmmy."  It's phoenetically "Tawmmy."

Apologies

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

How many Super Bowls did he lose by 3 touchdowns?

Now Marino is responsible for the defense?

Come on, man.

10 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

By the only metric you could try to say that with a straight face, even Jeff George and Ryan Leaf were better than Marino. 

Uh, no.

Marino is hardly the only one on this list. Isn't he one of the many QB that priced himself out of a championship?

I'm impressed with a QB that isn't focused on getting mine. Ones that allow their teams to purchase weapons. You make the money on the back end when you've won a Super Bowl or three.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

I'm impressed with a QB that isn't focused on getting mine. Ones that allow their teams to purchase weapons. You make the money on the back end when you've won a Super Bowl or three.

Then you are caught up in the team idea that usually doesn't have a good supporting rationale for how a group of individuals becomes a team.

39 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Marino is hardly the only one on this list. Isn't he one of the many QB that priced himself out of a championship?

I've never heard that particular criticism of Marino, and I've heard a lot of really strange things in my lifetime...even people who thought Van Hagar was better than VFH with DLR...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I expected more from you.  RNB is just saying that in an attempt to troll me,  I don't think he even believes it, how could

someone that smart subscribe to that type of nonsense.   I can't believe you'd fall for it.  I guess you could be trolling me too.

Or are you one of those people who believe that Eli is better than Marino becuz RiNgZZZ!

Eli is the best QB to ever play the game, now that you got me thinking about it. Who else could have thrown the ball that would become The Helmet Catch! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Eli is the best QB to ever play the game, now that you got me thinking about it. Who else could have thrown the ball that would become The Helmet Catch! :biggrin:

Don't forget the throw to Manningham, which was an incredible throw, and not lucky at all.   Seriously, that was a great play.  :wink:

I'm eternally grateful to Eli for the XLII and XLVI wins, even if he only had to average 19 ppg to do it (it's not difficult to imagine how those games would have gone the other way with better QB play by the Giants' opponents).

And the Caesar's commercial where they're playing charades and Eli guesses the Helmet Catch and Peyton tells him to stop guessing the Helmet Catch will never not be funny.

But without the two ringz Eli wouldn't even make the HOF, let alone be the GOAT (not that you don't already know that...:glare:)

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1