Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

it is very spotty post BITUSA.

Mick

After BITUSA it pretty much is for fans only. Even his attempts at regaining former glories, whilst magic for fans (literally, Magic), don't really offer anything to people who aren't already heavily invested.

Though I do feel in a just world Western Stars had plenty to win over kids already in love with loads of modern bands who take heavy inspiration from Bruce (The Gaslight Anthem, McFly, The Killers etc)

• Like 1

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

for me it's lyrically.  maybe it's cause i'm rounding 40 but known of his other lyrics hit as hard. and IMO the production is just right for the theme.

Mick

I always think ToL through to Tom Joad has oddly flat sound. Maybe it's a product of the time period as a lot of digitally recorded music across any genre seemed to sound a little tinny to my ears. 

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I always think ToL through to Tom Joad has oddly flat sound. Maybe it's a product of the time period as a lot of digitally recorded music across any genre seemed to sound a little tinny to my ears. 

well once music shifted to digital from analog it was never the same.

the warmth just dropped out of records.

Mick

Styx- Styx

Styx- Styx II

I know many people disregard their first four albums, but I have always had a huge soft spot for the oddness of their debut, and I actually think II is one of their finest albums.

• Like 4

Since Friday:

Knuckle Puck - While I Stay Secluded (EP)

Millington - Brass Emo, Vol. 1 (EP)

Millington - Brass Emo, Vol. 2 (EP)

Scene Queen - BIMBOCORE, VOL. 2 (EP)

Scene Queen - Bimbocore (EP)

Knuckle Puck - Copacetic (Vinyl)

Van Halen - OU812

Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Chappell Roan - The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess (Vinyl)

Millington - Millington (Vinyl)

Van Halen - Balance

Knuckle Puck - Shapeshifter

Knuckle Puck - Shifted (EP)

Knuckle Puck - 20/20

Knuckle Puck - Disposable Life (EP)

Knuckle Puck - Losing What We Love

Reneé Rapp - Snow Angel (Deluxe)

Infant Sorrow - Get Him To The Greek (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)

John C. Reilly - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (Deluxe Edition)

• Like 3

Styx Kilroy was here (8/10)

this album has a way better 2nd side.  in fact i friggin' love it.

Side A  has all the cringe story stuff.

Side B

Heavy metal Poisoning

just Get Through the Night

Double Life (this song's AMAZING)

Haven't We Been Here Before.

I love it.

Mick

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Side B

Heavy metal Poisoning

I love it.

Mick

Coming around to this album was fun! I now really like or love their entire discography. 

Now shoot me down, tell me my taste is shit, I *like* Kilroy, I LOVE EDGE OF THE CENTURY

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Side B

Heavy metal Poisoning

I love it.

Mick

I secretly made the other thread to see if people would start talking about Mr. Roboto, and KWH by extension. Mission accomplished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I secretly made the other thread to see if people would start talking about Mr. Roboto, and KWH by extension. Mission accomplished.

As a Muse fan I can see why you might love a stylish piece of trash 🤣

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Go eat a cupcake. :poke:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Go eat a cupcake. :poke:

I was just teasing...when I used to hate this album I likened it to a soulless Muse album, but eighties. 

• Like 1

Worked from home today (no AC, all the windows open to try to get some sort of breeze with the temps in the low 90's - ugh) so back to whatever came out of the moving box.  First out:

Chopin - The Poetry of the Piano

Classical musical is generally always enjoyable but this is an exception.  Not really into Chopin or piano music.  So this 4 LP box set was basically filler.  Not terrible but just filler.  Sort of fit the mood for the day though for some reason.  Next out of the box:

Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky

This should be more to my taste but for some reason I found it a bit jarring.  Its ok I guess but nothing more.  Hard to call it enjoyable (IMO).  The woodchuck that has a burrow next to my place seemed to enjoy it though - the furry beast came up to my front screen door while I was playing this and sat there.  The darn thing kept looking at the door like it wanted me to open the door and invite it in - I was not about to do that.  Only when the record came to an end did it leave and go back to its burrow.  Guess it liked Prokofiev more than I do.  Anyway, last out of the box for the day:

Music for Piano - Four Hands

This is a collection of tunes by Brahms, Dvorak, Schubert & Greig.  I generally like music from these 4 composers but this was Piano music which, as I noted above, I generally dislike.  So not really my cup of tea.  Overall it was at best just an ok day musically.

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

that's how i describe you to people:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I was just teasing...when I used to hate this album I likened it to a soulless Muse album, but eighties. 

So was I, but I do implore you to eat a cupcake if you feel like it :)

47 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

that's how i describe you to people:laugh:

Mick

I just choked on my non existent beverage 🤣

• Haha 3

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

I wish I loved this, but I don’t.

As a concept album it fails completely. I’m not sure if the problem is more that Dennis DeYoung isn’t capable of pulling one off or that the rest of the band had no interest in doing one and that held him back. I suspect a bit of both were at play. Ironically, many decades later, an aging post-DeYoung Styx would nail the concept album thing on The Mission. At any rate, the pacing doesn’t work, the theatrics are more corny than endearing at least half the time, and really no one in this band is a brilliant enough singer for Broadway, so it’s just unfortunate that musical theater is the vocabulary they try to use to pull of the concept. And I am far and away no expert on musical theater, but I can’t imagine a staged version of this lasting much past opening night in the professional world. No need to really get into the plot or story; they’re not as deep or well executed as they think they are. I’ll say this though, I do like the idea of a fun campy musical about taking down authority through the power of rock and roll, and I also think there’s some nugget of interest in the plight of Kilroy disguised as a robot. But I’d want it to get more radical. Mr. Roboto could kick off a totally different story about a robot who has achieved consciousness but hides it to save himself from being dismantled or something. Then again Rush already did something like that better in The Body Electric, just like they already did the rock and roll revolution thing better in 2112. Sigh, lol.

Aaaaannnyyyway. I actually do enjoy a number of the songs here, divorced from the loose concept. Don’t Let It End is a great power ballad, and Haven’t We Been Here Before is a perfect duet. Tommy and Dennis play off each other immaculately there. I also really do enjoy the high camp of Mr. Roboto, and I have a soft spot for Heavy Metal Poisoning even if it makes me cringe. Plus the instrumental performances are generally great. Both JY and Tommy rip it up in classic Styx fashion, and Dennis’s keyboards sit at a lavish midpoint between prog and new wave. Dare I say tasteful, lol? I don’t love this record, but I do like a lot of it.

• Like 1

Since Monday:

Loverboy - Loverboy

Loverboy - Get Lucky

Loverboy - Keep It Up

Loverboy - Lovin’ Every Minite Of It

Summerbruise - Bummer Vacation

Summerbruise - Always Something (EP)

Summerbruise - The View Never Changes

Saturdays At Your Place, Summerbruise, shoplifter - That's What Friends Are For (Split EP)

Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American (Deluxe)

Keep Flying - Survival

Can’t Swim - Foreign Language (EP)

Every So Often - Capsize (EP)

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 4