Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

3 minutes ago, ST3V said:

I hope you really love your job then lol

I do! I work with homeless children. It kills me, I have to deal with some awful things. Two suicides this week within my area, plus I walked in on a child who had hurt themselves so bad the ambulance was nearly too late.

It makes music mean THAT MUCH MORE to me.

• Like 5

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Symphonic_Holocaust.png

One of my Top Ten albums of all time. I play it no more than twice a year because I don't want to wear it out. I waited 'til The Lovely Wife went off to work, poured a nice bourbon, installed myself on the couch, and drifted off.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:19 PM, ST3V said:

ive got Alpha at the very bottom of Asias discography. It's just as you say, a lot of it is forgettable and underwhelming. Perfect example of a follow-up album done wrong

Interesting that you mentioned it was a follow up album.  What makes it interesting was that I was working from home again and pulled more albums out of the moving box to listen to and first out was:

Asia - Asia

Like Alpha, Carl Palmer and Steve Howe get none of the song writing credit.  Again, if they had been involved perhaps it would be a better album.  It has the excellent "Heat of the Moment" plus "Only Time Will Tell" & "Sole Survivor" (both of which are good).  Other the than that I found it to be better than Alpha but really nothing special.  Sort of a better forgettable.

Of Asia's songs I would say I like "Heat of the Moment" the most, followed closely by "Don't Cry" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes".  After that its a reasonable drop off for me before you get "Only Time Will Tell" and then "Sole Survivor".  Then its a fairly large drop off to the forgettable stuff.  Even so, glad I pulled these out to listen to.  Next out of the box:

Toto - Toto

This I must have bought used in the early 90's as it still has a price sticker of $1 on it.  The album came out in 1978 and other than the excellent "Hold The Line" it sounds like it came out in the 1970's - and I don't mean that in a good way.  Basically a real dud IMO.  Next out of the box:

The Moody Blue - Days of Future Passed

Another used album (still has a sticker of of $3.99 on it) that I got in the early 90's.  It has the classics "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin" on it.  Beyond those 2, I enjoyed the rest of the album.  Its a classic that has stood the test of time (IMO).  Last out of the box:

Nightwish  - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Yes, its on vinyl and no, I obviously did not get this one in the early 90's (LOL).  I bought it at the show when I saw them in NYC (along with Delain & Sabaton) on the opening night of the Endless Forms Most Beautiful tour.  Its just a wonderful album.  I esp. like "Elan", "My Walden" & "Edema Ruh".  That being said, "Alpenglow", the title track, "Shudder Before The Beautiful" & "Weak Fantasy" are all enjoyable.  Is it as good as say, Century Child?  Not close.  But its still wonderful.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chronos said:

Symphonic_Holocaust.png

One of my Top Ten albums of all time. I play it no more than twice a year because I don't want to wear it out. I waited 'til The Lovely Wife went off to work, poured a nice bourbon, installed myself on the couch, and drifted off.

This looked to be right up my alley, and I was right! Thanks for sharing this, I played it this morning and it's beautiful, very relaxing and absorbing! One of the best albums I've heard in a while to be honest, hypnotic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This looked to be right up my alley, and I was right! Thanks for sharing this, I played it this morning and it's beautiful, very relaxing and absorbing! One of the best albums I've heard in a while to be honest, hypnotic!

Yay!! Glad you enjoyed it!

In the past week: 

Ben Folds - What Matters Most

What Makes Sense - Fear And Loathing In The Northeast (EP)

Keep Flying - Follow Your Nightmares (EP)

Keep Flying - Walkabout (EP)

Keep Flying - Unbreakable (EP)

Keep Flying - Survival

Keep Flying - Revival (EP)

Motion City Soundtrack - I Am The Movie (Vinyl)

Mother Love Bone- Apple

Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

• Like 3

Drastic Symphonies - Def Leppard.  You know something?  If you're in the mood for Def Leppard, but not in the mood for hard rock, these are a good listen.  If you don't like the band, this won't change your mind.  The Emm Gryner collaboration on Pour Some Sugar on Me is catching some flak, because the lyrics are incongruous with the vibe, but I really like her performance.

• Like 3

Pearl Jam- Binaural

I love this album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Drastic Symphonies - Def Leppard.  You know something?  If you're in the mood for Def Leppard, but not in the mood for hard rock, these are a good listen.  If you don't like the band, this won't change your mind.  The Emm Gryner collaboration on Pour Some Sugar on Me is catching some flak, because the lyrics are incongruous with the vibe, but I really like her performance.

I keep meaning to give this a listen. I've heard Animal & Hysteria on Planet Rock but that's all.

Also ..

Night Ranger ‘ Midnight Madness’  ‘83

(8/10)

🤔Whilst its good & enjoyable, I much prefer their albums either side of it :yes:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Also ..

Night Ranger ‘ Midnight Madness’  ‘83

(8/10)

🤔Whilst its good & enjoyable, I much prefer their albums either side of it :yes:

Midnight Madness is my favourite Night Ranger album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Midnight Madness is my favourite Night Ranger album.

Fair enough 👍😎

( For me though I prefer what I consider to be the heavier sounding 

Dawn Patrol & Seven Wishes )

• Like 1

Night Ranger- Dawn Patrol 

Flawless. Just a PERFECT rock album

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Mother Love Bone- Apple

Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

I always think it’s called Siamese Daydream for some reason. About as perfect of a record as you can ask for, especially as far as alternative is concerned. I play it on airplanes a lot; Cherub Rock is perfect take-off music.