Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 years ago I had a WILD WEEK of music.  

Led Zep touring in support of Presence.

52957240116_11045577fe_z.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 9

Avenged Sevenfold- Life Is But A Dream...

There is no genius on display here. There is no self control, no truly good ideas, no enjoyable hooks, the production is frequently shoddy, the vocals are the worst in this bands history, the "progressive" nature is just a polite way of calling this pop metal wank.

I've given one of my favourite bands new albums so much time and effort. This just isn't good, there is nothing here worthy of the smallest amount of hype, and they just aren't talented enough to create something special out of musical discord. This is everything A7X are worst at, taken to the absolute max.

I still love A7X, but being creative, and bold, and fearless doesn't mean your work is going to be good. 

This is garbage. I love A7X, I truly hate this. I started it on release day thinking "I'm so glad they didn't phone it in", but actually this is as terrible for being self indulgent with no limits as 72 Seasons was for being safe and simple.

In fact, it's worse than 72 seasons because it's honestly a St Anger moment for me.

I've seen the album get some love, and that is absolutely wonderful.

Unfortunately I hate this album, and I may just let it die.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...

...I did have fun wrecking my brain trying to see if maybe I could like it.

But shit is shit. 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Lamb Of God- Sacrament

Still ferocious and thrilling, even after hundreds of listens. Love this album.

The Killers- Battle Born

The exact opposite of the last album I played, and I love it too.

• Like 2

Sleep Token(Take me Back to Edan(7/10)

I've come to the conclusion that this band isn't anywhere near as clever as people say they are. it's really just taking pop and every once in a while adding a djent breakdown..........and..............it's not that impressive:laugh:

however have tracks that i really enjoy

The summoning (really cool)

Vore (also slaps hard)

Ascensionism (in parts i don't think itt works as a whole but i like it)

Are you OK

The title track

Euclid (powerful closer)

so that's like half the album.  But boy when this album does not work......it SUCKS

Granite:zzz:

Aqua Regia

The apparition (Not bad it just goes on a bit long)

DYWTYLM (so cringe and maybe one of the most fail hooks i've heard....Don't you wish that you love me????? I'LL PASS DUDE, lol)

Rain (again just borinng)

Again i do you folks that enjoy it are giving this a bit too much credit for being clever but on the plus side i do like half of this album.  But their massive things that take it down several notches. mainly the melodies and some of the production choices and.........it's too long honestly. oh i'm positive that most of the vocals are pitch sifted down........not bad.  but they literally threw EVERY POP trope ever into one album is my point. oh and spot the shitty modern metal drums:puke:

just an honest write up.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Worked from home today so that gave me a chance to fire up the record player and listen to whatever I pulled out of the moving boxes.  First out of the moving box was:

Asia - Alpha

Been a while since I had listened to this.  Interesting to note that Carl Palmer and Steve Howe are not given song writing credit for any of the songs on this album.  Might have been a better album if they had written some of the songs.  It has the excellent "Don't Cry" and "The Smile has Left Your Eyes".  Other than that, its sort of forgettable.  I know a lot of folks here at TRF don't like this group because they were not prog enough and I get that.  For me the rest of the album is not terrible.  Just forgettable.  Wish I had seen them live though.  Back in 1983 I had the chance but did not have the $.  Anyway, next out of the moving box:

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

This I clearly bought used in the early 90's as it has a price sticker of $1 on it.  It has the excellent "You May Be Right"  which is my 3rd favorite Billy Joel song, only surpassed by "Allentown" & "We Didn't Start The Fire".  It also has "Its Still Rock and Roll To Me" which is enjoyable.  Other than that though the album is worse than forgettable.  Then again, I generally don't care for Billy Joel (with certain exceptions).  Likely I only bought it used and would never have paid real $ for it. Any way, next out of the box:

Steve Perry - Street Talk

This has "Oh Sherrie" & "Foolish Heart" which are sort of ok.  But basically it sort of stinks as an album.  Its another one I bought used in the early 90's - still has a price sticker of $2.49 on it.  Other than the 2 sort of ok songs it does nothing for me.  May wind up selling it to a used record store at some point.  Next up:

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol

This has the excellent "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" on it.  Beyond that, well, honestly, I had forgotten how good this album was.  I enjoyed every song on it esp. the song I already mentioned.  However "Sing Me Away" & "Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight" also really stood  out.  Much better album then I had remembered.  Very enjoyable. Perhaps I should not be shocked - I got to see them in concert in the mid 2010's opening for Journey.  At the time I was like "Night Ranger?  How did they get on this tour?  Do they have pictures of a concert promotor doing something with farm animals?"  Somewhat to my surprise they were awesome live.  Anyway, next out of the box:

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

The 2 highlights of this album (another one I bought used in the early 90's - the price sticker of $6 is still on it) are "The Boys are Back in Town" & the title track.  The rest of the album is decent.  Not as enjoyable as Night Ranger - not close.  But still good.  Next out of the box"

The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters

Yet another one I bought used in the early 90's - the price sticker of $2.95 is still on it.  Other than "Jessica" & "Ramblin Man" I found it to be rather forgettable.  Then again, I am not a big Allman Brothers fan.  I saw them in concert once and walked out.  Boring.  Last out of the box:

Toto - Toto IV

This has the excellent "Africa" & "Rosanna" but its otherwise a real dud for me.

Working from home again tomorrow so I may try to pull more random stuff out of the moving box to listen to.  Just hope the sky's clear.  The impact of the forest fires in Canada is really strange - the light is very weird, the sun (to the extent I can see it) is a odd color and you can smell the sot in the air.  I can tell the birds and insects are unsettled by it.  I fell bad for anybody who is closer to the fires.  Good luck to you if you are!! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Worked from home today so that gave me a chance to fire up the record player and listen to whatever I pulled out of the moving boxes.  First out of the moving box was:

Asia - Alpha

Been a while since I had listened to this.  Interesting to note that Carl Palmer and Steve Howe are not given song writing credit for any of the songs on this album.  Might have been a better album if they had written some of the songs.  It has the excellent "Don't Cry" and "The Smile has Left Your Eyes".  Other than that, its sort of forgettable.  I know a lot of folks here at TRF don't like this group because they were not prog enough and I get that.  For me the rest of the album is not terrible.  Just forgettable.  Wish I had seen them live though.  Back in 1983 I had the chance but did not have the $.  Anyway, next out of the moving box:

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

This I clearly bought used in the early 90's as it has a price sticker of $1 on it.  It has the excellent "You May Be Right"  which is my 3rd favorite Billy Joel song, only surpassed by "Allentown" & "We Didn't Start The Fire".  It also has "Its Still Rock and Roll To Me" which is enjoyable.  Other than that though the album is worse than forgettable.  Then again, I generally don't care for Billy Joel (with certain exceptions).  Likely I only bought it used and would never have paid real $ for it. Any way, next out of the box:

Steve Perry - Street Talk

This has "Oh Sherrie" & "Foolish Heart" which are sort of ok.  But basically it sort of stinks as an album.  Its another one I bought used in the early 90's - still has a price sticker of $2.49 on it.  Other than the 2 sort of ok songs it does nothing for me.  May wind up selling it to a used record store at some point.  Next up:

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol

This has the excellent "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" on it.  Beyond that, well, honestly, I had forgotten how good this album was.  I enjoyed every song on it esp. the song I already mentioned.  However "Sing Me Away" & "Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight" also really stood  out.  Much better album then I had remembered.  Very enjoyable. Perhaps I should not be shocked - I got to see them in concert in the mid 2010's opening for Journey.  At the time I was like "Night Ranger?  How did they get on this tour?  Do they have pictures of a concert promotor doing something with farm animals?"  Somewhat to my surprise they were awesome live.  Anyway, next out of the box:

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

The 2 highlights of this album (another one I bought used in the early 90's - the price sticker of $6 is still on it) are "The Boys are Back in Town" & the title track.  The rest of the album is decent.  Not as enjoyable as Night Ranger - not close.  But still good.  Next out of the box"

The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters

Yet another one I bought used in the early 90's - the price sticker of $2.95 is still on it.  Other than "Jessica" & "Ramblin Man" I found it to be rather forgettable.  Then again, I am not a big Allman Brothers fan.  I saw them in concert once and walked out.  Boring.  Last out of the box:

Toto - Toto IV

This has the excellent "Africa" & "Rosanna" but its otherwise a real dud for me.

Working from home again tomorrow so I may try to pull more random stuff out of the moving box to listen to.  Just hope the sky's clear.  The impact of the forest fires in Canada is really strange - the light is very weird, the sun (to the extent I can see it) is a odd color and you can smell the sot in the air.  I can tell the birds and insects are unsettled by it.  I fell bad for anybody who is closer to the fires.  Good luck to you if you are!! 

ive got Alpha at the very bottom of Asias discography. It's just as you say, a lot of it is forgettable and underwhelming. Perfect example of a follow-up album done wrong

• Like 2