Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What I’m saying is just saying as an artist “I have to do this song better than the original” isn’t very helpful. What’s more helpful is having some kind of strategy for how you can make it your own, like what I said earlier about song selection.

That really wasn't my point ("I have to do this song better than the original").  My point was that if the original is itself very well known to your audience and is something they probably like, if you're not Van Halen you're going to have a hard time selling people on the cover.  That's why I referenced the covers I did.   I doubt many Talking Heads fans were big Al Green fans, or that many kids into metal in the early 80s were big Slade fans.

And actually, Van Halen themselves sort of prove the point.  Where Have All the Good Times Gone is still great, but it didn't make the same impression You Really Got Me did.

• Like 1

Before leaving for somewhere in the car I'll open my media cabinet, randomly pick (from among  8 shelves worth) a few CD's  and drive on.  Today's traveling music:

Greatest Hits - Donovan

What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Schandmaul - Knuppel uur dem Sack

This is the most recent album from this group.  So far I have basically reserved comment but now that I have listened to everything I will speak my mind.  

Overall I was not wow'ed.  They are ok, decent but nothing special.  Glad I tried them but not as good as In Extremo or Feuerschwanz (both of which I rather enjoy).  Would I really listen to them any more?  No.  Not worth my time.

With one exception - that being this final, most recent album.  Its very good.  There a bunch of rather enjoyable songs on it such as:

Konigsgarde

Der Flug

Luft und Liebe

Gluck auf!

Niamh

Long John Silver

Konigsgarde was a collaboration with Feuerschwanz & Saltatio Mortis (another band on my list to check out) and it was my favorite song on this album.

With Feuerschwanz's most recent album being totally kick but, & this album being very good, German Medieval folk metal is going in a direction I find very appealing.

It took a while but glad I checked this band out  On to try something else out. 

London Calling - The Clash

Lost In The Supermarket just puts the biggest smile on my face. Honestly, I know this is the Pitchfork / Rolling Stone over hyped record of its era, but really, this is a fantastic and super fun album. Sex Pistols had absolutely nothing on this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

London Calling - The Clash

Lost In The Supermarket just puts the biggest smile on my face. Honestly, I know this is the Pitchfork / Rolling Stone over hyped record of its era, but really, this is a fantastic and super fun album. Sex Pistols had absolutely nothing on this.

I've always loved this album! Totally lives up to the hype. I'm not huge on punk, but great music is great music. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Kesha - Gag Order (aoty contender)

Parquet Courts - Wide Awaaake!

Nena - Nena

I loved Gag Order. Kesha really outdid herself here.

• Like 1

Wednesday-Friday

Carpool - I Still Blame Everything Else (EP)
Carpool - I Think Everyone's A Cop
Carpool - Erotic Nightmare Summer
Carpool - For Nasal Use Only (EP)
Can't Swim - Thanks but No Thanks
Hot Mulligan - Why Would I Watch
Scene Queen - Bimbocore (EP)
Scene Queen - BIMBOCORE, Vol. 2 (EP)
Discrepancies - Product Of Entertainment (EP)
Dropkick Murphys - Okemah Rising
Kesha - Gag Order
Sleep Token - Take Me Back To Eden

Look at that, three artists that at least a few people here recognize. Must be my new record.

• Like 2

Dan Fogelberg- Home Free 

Dan Fogelberg- Souvenirs 

Dan Fogelberg- Captured Angel 

Dan Fogelberg- Nether Lands

Dan Fogelberg- Phoenix 

Dan Fogelberg- The Innocent Age 

Dan Fogelberg- Windows And Walls

This wasn't even exhausting. I love all those albums, though Nether Lands is easily my least favourite.

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Dan Fogelberg- Home Free 

Dan Fogelberg- Souvenirs 

Dan Fogelberg- Phoenix 

This wasn't even exhausting. I love all those albums, though Nether Lands is easily my least favourite.

Have you heard the new Sleep Token album yet? It's very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Dan Fogelberg- Home Free 

Dan Fogelberg- Souvenirs 

Dan Fogelberg- Phoenix 

Neither lands grew on me. But it is his least best.  But it has false Fases and that's in my top ten Dan songs.

Also Windows and Walls is clearly my new fav.  I've played it so much this week.  and Played IA last night......STILL great i can see why some don't like it.  So heavy handed at times. 

My new Ranking cause i've played them all over the week spaced out. by all i mean his peak period

1. Windows

2. Captured Angel

3. Souvenirs 

4. Innocent Age

5. Phoenix

6. Neither Lands

7. Home Free

I really like Exiles too but it's dan dumbing things down.

But yea some albums shifted for me.

Sforry bout HF still my least fav, lol

Mick

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Neither lands grew on me. But it is his least best.  But it has false Fases and that's in my top ten Dan songs.

Also Windows and Walls is clearly my new fav.  I've played it so much this week.  and Played IA last night......STILL great i can see why some don't like it.  So heavy handed at times. 

My new Ranking cause i've played them all over the week spaced out. by all i mean his peak period

1. Windows

2. Captured Angel

3. Souvenirs 

4. Innocent Age

5. Phoenix

6. Neither Lands

7. Home Free

I really like Exiles too but it's dan dumbing things down.

But yea some albums shifted for me.

Sforry bout HF still my least fav, lol

Mick

My ranking would be:

1. Home Free 

2. Souviners

=. Captured Angel 

4. Phoenix

5. Windows And Walls

6. The Innocent Age 

7. Nether Lands 

8. Exiles

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Have you heard the new Sleep Token album yet? It's very good.

I LOVE IT!!

• Like 1

Sleep Token- Take Me Back To Eden 

They remind me of Thrice, The Weeknd, Deftones and vocally, a British band called Don Broco (at times). This new album is FANTASTIC. I have had the single The Summoning on replay for months at this point.

• Like 2

Susanne Sundfør – Blómi (2023, Vinyl) - Discogs

susanne sundfør -  "blomi" love it!

The romance and life force of 1970s singer-songwriters such as Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro and Carole King – as well as their burned-fingers wisdom – are embodied here by Susanne Sundfør, one of Norway’s most successful singers who continues to evolve her craft upwards from her earlier synthwave and pop-folk.

Susanne Sundfør: Blómi album artwork Susanne Sundfør: Blómi album artwork

There’s also a touch of Disney or musical theatre to the way ballads such as Ashera’s Song and Rūnā search out their next cadences; the latter has the same tentative-then-certain feeling as Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah but done with a Julie Andrews-ish positivity. You may need to re-notch your threshold for corniness.

On 5/17/2023 at 6:11 PM, Super25Smasher said:

She's amazing. Have you heard Boygenius? It's a collaboration between her and two other big indie singers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker.

Yes I listen to boygenius and Julien Baker.  I enjoy them all very much.

• Like 1

Dan Fogelberg-Windows and Walls (10/10)

i fell head over heels for this. i even love the rockers generic or not

And the ballads are like Innocent Age but less up his own ass (he says with love:laugh:) my new fav.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Super25Smasher said:

Wednesday-Friday

Carpool - I Still Blame Everything Else (EP)
Carpool - I Think Everyone's A Cop
Carpool - Erotic Nightmare Summer
Carpool - For Nasal Use Only (EP)
Can't Swim - Thanks but No Thanks
Hot Mulligan - Why Would I Watch
Scene Queen - Bimbocore (EP)
Scene Queen - BIMBOCORE, Vol. 2 (EP)
Discrepancies - Product Of Entertainment (EP)
Dropkick Murphys - Okemah Rising
Kesha - Gag Order
Sleep Token - Take Me Back To Eden

Look at that, three artists that at least a few people here recognize. Must be my new record.

Thoughts on Sleep Token? Three masterpieces in a row for me at this point. They take me back to the 2000s, when post hardcover bands were thriving on invention: Coheed And Cambria, Thrice, Brand New, and even bands like System Of A Down, Deftones, Funeral For A Friend

• Like 1