The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor Swift- Folklore 

Taylor Swift- Evermore 

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

Three of my fave albums since the start of the decade. 

• Like 1

Metallica-St. Anger.

You know ever once in a while.  i'll take this out.  thinking oh St. Anger how bad can ye be?  It's been a while since we've spent time together.....and i'll bet the bad press is just butthurt metal fans being butthurt.

Then i hit play and oh boy.......silting my throat sounds fun today.

it does not get better with age.  it has not become a forgotten classic.  it belongs right in Lars' trash can drums.

Don't worry i had the good sense not to finish.........because if i did.....i'd literally put my head through my monitor.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Metallica-St. Anger.

You know ever once in a while.  i'll take this out.  thinking oh St. Anger how bad can ye be?  It's been a while since we've spent time together.....and i'll bet the bad press is just butthurt metal fans being butthurt.

Then i hit play and oh boy.......silting my throat sounds fun today.

it does not get better with age.  it has not become a forgotten classic.  it belongs right in Lars' trash can drums.

Don't worry i had the good sense not to finish.........because if i did.....i'd literally put my head through my monitor.

Mick

Funny you mentioned trash can as that's exactly where my copy of it went after my first and only listen to the album. This album is Metallica doing a horrible job at trying to be nu metal. This is their only album where they weren't being genuine and themselves. They were trying to be something they are not and that's one of the biggest reasons the album is so terrible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Funny you mentioned trash can as that's exactly where my copy of it went after my first and only listen to the album. This album is Metallica doing a horrible job at trying to be nu metal. This is their only album where they weren't being genuine and themselves. They were trying to be something they are not and that's one of the biggest reasons the album is so terrible.

Interesting to me that St Anger received so much more hate than Lulu, despite Lulu being much farther out of left field.

From what I’ve heard anyway, considering a I’ve never listened to either of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Interesting to me that St Anger received so much more hate than Lulu, despite Lulu being much farther out of left field.

From what I’ve heard anyway, considering a I’ve never listened to either of them.

I never heard Lulu. I just wasn't interested since I was never a Lou Reed fan. The reason the album doesn't get as much hate as Shit Anger does is because Lulu wasn't a Metallica only project. I still don't know how Lulu came about. I don't recall any interviews where Metallica mentioned being huge Lou Reed fans and wanting to work with him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

St Anger came first. It was shocking how bad it was.

Lulu comes along: "oh, we are here again. Yawn."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I never heard Lulu. I just wasn't interested since I was never a Lou Reed fan. The reason the album doesn't get as much hate as Shit Anger does is because Lulu wasn't a Metallica only project. I still don't know how Lulu came about. I don't recall any interviews where Metallica mentioned being huge Lou Reed fans and wanting to work with him.

Lulu is bad but i consider it a Reed project featuring Metallica but.........Metallica are there prominantly so they deserve just as much hate.

The interesting thing in ALL this which is hardly ever touched on here is that Metallica get flamed for not trying new things.  Well Load through Lulu were ALL new things and sonic changes for them.  Granted a lot were misfires.  So they were beaten with backlash into making Death Magnetic.  Which is them going "This is a Metallica record RIGHT?????? you stupid fukk metal fans??????"

lol.

Incidently.  DM i think became there best in years.  Though i'm a fan of the load/reload er myself. Just funny how they really had the sonic exploration beat out of them and now they get flamed at times for doing the same record, lol.  Metal fans re kinda suck-y.  I mean Metallica sucked mostly at new things but Metal fans partly deserve the blame for them just doing Stock Metallica these days.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Lulu is bad but i consider it a Reed project featuring Metallica but.........Metallica are there prominantly so they deserve just as much hate.

The interesting thing in ALL this which is hardly ever touched on here is that Metallica get flamed for not trying new things.  Well Load through Lulu were ALL new things and sonic changes for them.  Granted a lot were misfires.  So they were beaten with backlash into making Death Magnetic.  Which is them going "This is a Metallica record RIGHT?????? you stupid fukk metal fans??????"

lol.

Incidently.  DM i think became there best in years.  Though i'm a fan of the load/reload er myself. Just funny how they really had the sonic exploration beat out of them and now they get flamed at times for doing the same record, lol.  Metal fans re kinda suck-y.  I mean Metallica sucked mostly at new things but Metal fans partly deserve the blame for them just doing Stock Metallica these days.

Mick

The biggest flaw with Load/Reload is they tried too hard to fill up entire CDs. They have a KILLER album of around 40-50 minutes max between the two. Regardless, I greatly enjoy them.

I don't think St Anger has anything to do with nu metal. It sounds straight up trash, but the songs have been reworked by other bands, and they sound good.

Death Magnetic is great, same as Hardwired. Definitely feel that Hardwired sort of improved upon Load/Reload, but its still Bloated.

72 seasons? I actually rank it below St Anger. Why? Because I feel something when I listen to St Anger. Sure, that's not a compliment, but 72S is just so...boring...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

The biggest flaw with Load/Reload is they tried too hard to fill up entire CDs. They have a KILLER album of around 40-50 minutes max between the two. Regardless, I greatly enjoy them.

I don't think St Anger has anything to do with nu metal. It sounds straight up trash, but the songs have been reworked by other bands, and they sound good.

Death Magnetic is great, same as Hardwired. Definitely feel that Hardwired sort of improved upon Load/Reload, but its still Bloated.

72 seasons? I actually rank it below St Anger. Why? Because I feel something when I listen to St Anger. Sure, that's not a compliment, but 72S is just so...boring...

St. Anger..........I HATE IT........so much with all my heart.......but......they were TRYING damn it.

72 seasons.......it's an AI making a Metallica album.  it is so........heartless. it's downright heartbreakig to me.

Mick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I think they've been trying to fill CDs since Load. If you just cut each of them down to 40 minutes, most of them would be pretty great! Maybe not St Anger though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

St. Anger..........I HATE IT........so much with all my heart.......but......they were TRYING damn it.

72 seasons.......it's an AI making a Metallica album.  it is so........heartless. it's downright heartbreakig to me.

Mick

I've found that some live versions of St Anger are decent. When Metallica played Dirty Window at the show I went to, I came around on it. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I've found that some live versions of St Anger are decent. When Metallica played Dirty Window at the show I went to, I came around on it. 

This. There is also some random unknown metal band who uploaded a full album cover of St Anger and I really, really enjoyed it. Can't find the link!! 

Ooh found it: 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I think you were the only one. Everyone around me was all like "yuck! Get that off my plate"

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I think you were the only one. Everyone around me was all like "yuck! Get that off my plate"

Nah, I see plenty of love on Metallica groups regarding live versions of the album.

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

A few of the folks around me actually got somewhat excited. One lady dug out her phone and recorded it. Oddly she didn't want to video any other, much bigger songs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

A few of the folks around me actually got somewhat excited. One lady dug out her phone and recorded it. Oddly she didn't want to video any other, much bigger songs.

People hate on St Anger but it has a lot of fans. I see some love on every group I'm on. 

I've had moments I've been okay with it, but mostly due to that video I shared above and live versions

28 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Nah, I see plenty of love on Metallica groups regarding live versions of the album.

Well, I've heard it in person and the reaction wasn't good. The same when I saw them on the St. Anger tour. Pretty much nobody cared about Frantic and the title track when they played it. Yes, Metallica only did two songs off it because they were well aware of the horrible response the album got. On the bright side, they opened that show with Blackened and the crowd was singing so loud I couldn't even hear James during it. Probably the best opening song I have ever heard live for a concert.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2