Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Symphony X - Iconoclast

Symphony X - Underworld

I am so glad I explored this band.  The vocals are very good.  At times I feel like I am listening to Dio.  The prog feel I just love.

From Iconoclast I would say my favorite song was "When All is Lost" and my second favorite would be "Electric Messiah" or perhaps "Lords of Chaos".  From Underworld my favorite song would be the most plain, vinalia song on the album, "Without You".  My second favorite would be "To Hell and Back" or "Charon" or "Run With the Devil" or "Legend"   That being said, both albums (and all of their other albums) are just loaded with good strong songs.

One heck of a band.

• Like 1

Scardust - Strangers

Interesting album.  Not familiar with them at all and another band I am glad I tried.  Best song is (IMO) "Concrete Cages".  2nd best is a tie between "Gone", "Addicted" & "Stranger".  "Gone" would get the vote except their are some harsh / extreme vocals in the song.  I can't emphasize enough how much I dislike growling / harsh / extreme vocals.  You get the idea of what I am talking about.  After those 3 songs the next best song is another toss up between "Mist" & "Huts".  Again, "Huts" would b the better song but its damaged by the presence of those darn harsh vocals.  Just hate them.

Pity, because the lead vocalist, when she sings clean, has a very, very good voice. 

I have to ask though.  Is this a prog metal band or a symphonic metal band?  They have huge elements of both - and do both very well.  If they just did not have those darn harsh vocals.....

Will have to explore them some more - just hope they don't have more of those darn harsh vocals on their other albums.  This is a very interesting group.

7 hours ago, Chronos said:

Emperor_of_sand_cover.jpg

Twice.

The terrible artwork belies the kickass music within.

Terrible artwork? Wash your mouth out young man!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Haha 2

Copeland- Beneath Medicine Tree

Mastodon- Emperor Of Sand 

Neurosis- Through Silver In Blood

RökFlöte - Wikipedia

I gave this one more spin. The music on it is pretty good.... in places really good.

As for Ian's vocals.... the spoken word passages spoil the songs, on a couple of songs the vocals are ok-ish.

If he decided to release an instrumental version of the album (which of course he won't) it would be great.

Jethro Tull died in 2012. This is them in name only. Even if Martin and Ian made up and he rejoined the band they would still have the problem with Ian's vocals.

I wish Ian would forget about the dollar signs and release new music under the Ian Anderson name ..... it would be more honest.

Anyway, the Steven Wilson remix of Broadsword & The Beast is due soon ...... it will be a much better listen.

Hologram

Great little album by Amplifier.

Crown Lands [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

My favourite album of the year so far.

Rhapsody Of Fire- Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Saga

Epic, grandiose, bombastic, powerful, super nerdy. Love it.

Rush-A Farewell to kings

This is probably the obe i was most interested in because it never did much for me.  Aside from Xanadu i never thought there was much there.

And.........................................i was wrong. 

This abum opened up too me big time.  Honestly i think Distance from  this band was the best thing ever

My fav song on this album became Cinderella Man.

I have zero complaints.  

it's funny in my relisten i'm generally favoring the 70's over the 80's.  Granted i have not really dug into the 80's but this is odd.  used to be an 80's rush guy. it feels weird but also like am seeing 70's Rush in a more vivid way.

Mick

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Rush-A Farewell to kings

This is probably the obe i was most interested in because it never did much for me.  Aside from Xanadu i never thought there was much there.

This abum opened up too me big time.  Honestly i think Distance from  this band was the best thing ever

I have zero complaints.  

it's funny in my relisten i'm generally favoring the 70's over the 80's.  Granted i have not really dug into the 80's but this is odd.  used to be an 80's rush guy. it feels weird but also like am seeing 70's Rush in a more vivid way.

Mick

Eeeeeeeeeee

I had very low hopes you would come around on this one, my very favorite Rush album!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Eeeeeeeeeee

I had very low hopes you would come around on this one, my very favorite Rush album!

i don't know if it's my fav.  BUT along with Hemispheres and Caress of Steel......i consder it flawless,

Mick

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i don't know if it's my fav.  BUT along with Hemispheres and Caress of Steel......i consder it flawless,

Mick

Eeeeeee

• Like 1

Rush-A Farewell to kings

I have zero complaints.  

Mick

I kinda can't believe what I'm reading...I ALMOST FORGIVE YOU FOR SLIGHTING 2112 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I kinda can't believe what I'm reading...I ALMOST FORGIVE YOU FOR SLIGHTING 2112 

2 things

1. i'm gonna give honest opinions regarding your widdle favs:laugh2: and 2112 bored me honesty.

2. I'm honestly approaching this as a new band i've never heard so these are HONEST almost first time reactions.  i was telling the truth when i said i forgot a LOT about Rush.   recommend extended breaks fro your fav bands.

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 things

1. i'm gonna give honest opinions regarding your widdle favs:laugh2: and 2112 bored me honesty.

2. I'm honestly approaching this as a new band i've never heard so these are HONEST almost first time reactions.  i was telling the truth when i said i forgot a LOT about Rush.   recommend extended breaks fro your fav bands.

Mick

Okay the use of the word "widdle" made me laugh 😃 

And it's all cool. I'm just waiting for you yo fall head over heels in love with CA

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

And it's all cool. I'm just waiting for you yo fall head over heels in love with CA

i'm saving later Rush for very last......which i think is smart for me personally right now.

Mick

• Like 1

2 things

Mick

Rush-Grace Under Pressure

If you were exspecting a miracle here......look elsewhere.

This album was agony.  i hit the skip button so mny times.  and i REALLY tried.  I just do not like this record at all.

well ok.......i like 3 songs.

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Between the Wheels.

And for such a dark album lyrically this sure sounds bright..... mixed hot and really AGGRESSIVELY shiny.

I also really don't like Alex's guitar here so damn shrill.

and you CAN'T say i'm not being open.  i lve albums i hated ALREADY so shut that stuff down right now.

This one just doesn't connect.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Rush-Grace Under Pressure

If you were exspecting a miracle here......look elsewhere.

This album was agony.  i hit the skip button so mny times.  and i REALLY tried.  I just do not like this record at all.

well ok.......i like 3 songs.

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Between the Wheels.

And for such a dark album lyrically this sure sounds bright..... mixed hot and really AGGRESSIVELY shiny.

I also really don't like Alex's guitar hear so damn shrill.

and you CAN'T say i'm not being open.  i lve albums i hated ALREADY so shut that stuff down right now.

This one just doesn't connect.

Mick

I don't get it...but it's cool

I think it's slightly greater than Signals (that's one of three albums I had the biggest turnaround on) and WAAAAAY better than Power Windows (which I also love, but it's my least fave album pre-Presto)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't get it...but it's cool

I think it's slightly greater than Signals (that's one of three albums I had the biggest turnaround on) and WAAAAAY better than Power Windows (which I also love, but it's my least fave album pre-Presto)

it's ok......I'm wondering if i'm just gonna not like 80's Rush as much.

that'll be a fun twist. cause so far the only 80's one to get me legit OTT excited was signals.

Mick

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's ok......I'm wondering if i'm just gonna not like 80's Rush as much.

that'll be a fun twist. cause so far the only 80's one to get me legit OTT excited was signals.

Mick

I'm already sad awaiting your HATE SPEECH on RTB 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cold_Dark_Place_EP.jpg

Mastodon -- Cold Dark Place (EP, 2017)

When this came out, it took me some time -- and several listens -- to realize this is every bit as good as Emperor of Sand.

Fave tracks, in no particular order:

North Side Star 

Blue Walsh 

Toe to Toes 

Cold Dark Place

• Like 2