Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

3 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Rabin is the better pop guitarist, that wouldve been incredible if it worked. Steve delivered well on the debut though, so cant complain too much

Listening to his yes stuff.  Rabin has a better pop ear than howe so that could have been Fantastic IMO.

Mick

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Funny thing is it WAS meant to be a whole new band called Cinema but the label saw money they added Anderson and it became "Yes".

Either way i Adore that period now.

Here's another tidbit  Rabin was originally tapped for Asia and rehersed with them (Including Steve Howe) but it fell through.

Mick

Oh no I still do think of the 80s iteration as Yes proper. You’ve got original keyboardist Tony Kaye back in the band, Squire’s still there, Anderson’s back, White’s been with them for a decade’s worth of classic or semi classic albums now. Rabin’s really the only new guy in that era.

No, it’s this latest “yes” that I think of as no.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh no I still do think of the 80s iteration as Yes proper. You’ve got original keyboardist Tony Kaye back in the band, Squire’s still there, Anderson’s back, White’s been with them for a decade’s worth of classic or semi classic albums now. Rabin’s really the only new guy in that era.

oh sure.  i call them Okey Dokey, lol

Mick

• Haha 2

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV, Volume I: Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

The Mars Volta - Francis The Mute

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes became not-Yes when Chris died. So long as he lived I was alright with it. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Hawt take?  I love this album.  Black and Blue is one of my favorite VH tunes, even if the lyrics are cringeworthy (as so many of Sammy's are).

It's a good record which is only marred for me by Feels So Good which is a dud and I'm ambivalent regarding When It's Love. Other than that it's pretty solid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ST3V said:

Yes became not-Yes when Chris died. So long as he lived I was alright with it. 

That’s where I’m at too.

• Like 1

Yes - Fragile

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect

Trivium - Shogun

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I used to have an album of theirs. Didn't really like it, so I think reading this I may stay away. Love your thoughts on lesser known bands! We have a lot on common without having the exact same opinions!

Thanks a ton!  I have a long list of other bands to try (including a few you recommended) so I am going to try some of those groups and eventually - perhaps - come back to them.  Maybe.  After trying 3 albums and not being crazed I want something else.

Edited by TheAccountant

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes - Fragile

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect

Trivium - Shogun

What did you think of Shogun? Have you heard anything else from Trivium?

19 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What did you think of Shogun? Have you heard anything else from Trivium?

I like it. Segue recommended it to me as a jumping off point a good while back and that was probably just my 2nd or 3rd listen. I haven’t checked out anything else of theirs.

I may be on the verge of really getting into Coheed And Cambria… I’ve played that one album like 3 times in the past week, and that is not the kind of album you put on “just cuz”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I may be on the verge of really getting into Coheed And Cambria… I’ve played that one album like 3 times in the past week, and that is not the kind of album you put on “just cuz”

Coheed And Cambria are terrific.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I like it. Segue recommended it to me as a jumping off point a good while back and that was probably just my 2nd or 3rd listen. I haven’t checked out anything else of theirs.

How are you finding it? I normally recommend it because they have heavier, they have softer, but if you enjoy the heaviness and that much melody, the band is likely for you.

• Like 1

Savatage- Edge Of Thorns

I was playing this when the news showed up on Facebook that Savatage are returning with a new album next year!

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life 

I have always had mixed feelings with this album. I still enjoy it, especially the three bonus tracks, but I wish they had never committed to Don Gilmore as a producer. Its clear he didn't like Lacuna Coil much, and they have said they had slight issues trusting him fully, and it didn't pay off. At the time this charted well but I feared the band was over. But I like or love everything here, and it soundtracked a particularly difficult time in my life, so I am attached to it. I still love I'm Not Afraid, Not Enough and the title track. Bonus track Leaving Alone might be their best pop metal song. I think it should have been the lead single, but it took well over a year to come out. Lacuna Coil when they started were the meeting point between Paradise Lost and The Gathering. They were more commercial than both, but the magic of those two bands were perfectly met on albums like Unleashed Memories and Comalies. I love that Karmacode included many American influences, I felt it was an organis evolution and an ambitious one. The Lacuna Coil of Shallow Life is not it, this Linkin Park meets Avril Lavigne style never made sense. I hear now why the fans were so mad, and I recall at the time their live shows were being torn apart. Costume changes into high fashion looks, little older material, they sat evey awkwardly on metal lineups. I'm so glad this era is over.

Lacuna Coil- Dark Adrenaline

Don Gilmore returned, but this time Lacuna Coil were savvy enough to write and demo all the songs themselves, and present them to him almost fully formed. The results are unreal: this is a major fan favourite to this day, and I think it quietly brought jaded older fans back. I love this album, when I heard it in 2012, Three years after Shallow Life, I couldn't believe my ears. It's not that dissimilar to Shallow Life, it's just punchier with much stronger songs. The videos were great this time around as well. Songs like Intoxicated, Against You, The Army Inside and Trip The Darkness rank as some of their best songs. I Don't Believe In Tomorrow sounded like an attempted to truly return to metal, but I think the production holds it back slightly, and Kill The Lights is a fan favourite that I think encapsulates everything great about Lacuna Coil perfectly in one short moment. End Of Time is a beautiful radio ready ballad that I think was a decade or more too late to realise its mainstream potential. In hindsight, this wasn't quite Lacuna Coil returning to peak form. Next album Broken Crown Halo really made an impact on me and I think it is not unfair to say that may be their greatest album.

Just me rambling about my favourite band (probably...Rush is the only true competitor for me). 

Edited by Segue Myles

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

How are you finding it? I normally recommend it because they have heavier, they have softer, but if you enjoy the heaviness and that much melody, the band is likely for you.

I’ll have to give it another listen. It rounded out my work day yesterday and I didn’t give it much thought. Definitely like it, the heaviness and the melody.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ll have to give it another listen. It rounded out my work day yesterday and I didn’t give it much thought. Definitely like it, the heaviness and the melody.

I think, knowing your tastes, the next album to try is their renaissance moment, after three albums post Shogun that saw their audience dwindle into near obscurity: The Sin And The Sentence. That album came out of nowhere in 2017 and blew away fans, critics and even the naysayers. Even got them their first Grammy nomination. And the two albums since then are arguably greater. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Where should I go next?

I saw your comment but not what album you played