Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (Disc 1)

Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV, Volume I: Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

Weezer - Pinkerton

• Like 2

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

90125 (9/10)

Big Generator (8/10)

Talk (9/10)

Folks......I have REEEEEEEEEALY warmed to Rabin era Yes  Call it fukking Cinema if you like. But it's a pretty great run of albums.  (but we don't talk about Union:banghead: lol)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

90125 (9/10)

Big Generator (8/10)

Talk (9/10)

Folks......I have REEEEEEEEEALY warmed to Rabin era Yes  Call it fukking Cinema if you like. But it's a pretty great run of albums.  (but we don't talk about Union:banghead: lol)

Mick

It's heavy metal YES with riffs that Steve Howe hates playing now on tour, like the Owner of a Lonely Heart riff, which he very reluctantly plays with a grumpy look on his face!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, treeduck said:

It's heavy metal YES with riffs that Steve Howe hates playing now on tour, like the Owner of a Lonely Heart riff, which he very reluctantly plays with a grumpy look on his face!

There is no one in that band now who was in Yes when 90125 came out.

• Like 2

Save Face - Another Kill For The Highlight Reel

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

MisterWives - Connect The Dots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

90125 (9/10)

Big Generator (8/10)

Talk (9/10)

Mick

Love Talk a lot, Endless Dream is up there as one of the bands best songs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Then is it the same band? (See "Ship of Theseus" paradox) :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

Then is it the same band? (See "Ship of Theseus" paradox) :laugh:

To me? No, not at all.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I had to look that up, and it raised an (I thought) interesting question.  Why can't Ringo Starr tour as The Beatles? Put aside the issue of who may own the rights to a name.  How (no pun intended) is that band Yes?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I had to look that up, and it raised an (I thought) interesting question.  Why can't Ringo Starr tour as The Beatles? Put aside the issue of who may own the rights to a name.  How (no pun intended) is that band Yes?

Yeah idk.  I get that the current bass player got Chris Squire’s blessing before his passing, but now that Alan’s passed as well I just don’t understand. What happens when Steve leaves?

• Like 1

Went with a strange change of pace tonight:

Faun - Pagan

Faun - Luna

Faun - Von den Elben

I gather that Faun is classified as pagan folk music.  So lots of lutes, flutes, harps, hurdy-gurdy's, bagpipes and odd drums.  Most of the lyrics are in German so I don't have any real idea what they are singing about - for the most part.  Some are in English.  No electric gutters (other than 1 song), electric bass or modern drum sets.  Very different (esp. for me).  Not bad but not special either.  Just sort of ok.

R.E.M.- Murmur 

Whenever I listen to this album, I'm taken aback by just how fully formed their identity and sound was. It's impossible for me to imagine a world without REM and their influence, but I just can't believe this debut dropped in 1983 sounding like the nineties. 

It's just an astonishingly ahead of its time sounding album, and in my opinion one of the great debuts of all time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Went with a strange change of pace tonight:

Faun - Pagan

Faun - Luna

Faun - Von den Elben

I gather that Faun is classified as pagan folk music.  So lots of lutes, flutes, harps, hurdy-gurdy's, bagpipes and odd drums.  Most of the lyrics are in German so I don't have any real idea what they are singing about - for the most part.  Some are in English.  No electric gutters (other than 1 song), electric bass or modern drum sets.  Very different (esp. for me).  Not bad but not special either.  Just sort of ok.

I used to have an album of theirs. Didn't really like it, so I think reading this I may stay away. Love your thoughts on lesser known bands! We have a lot on common without having the exact same opinions!

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

To me? No, not at all.

Funny thing is it WAS meant to be a whole new band called Cinema but the label saw money they added Anderson and it became "Yes".

Either way i Adore that period now.

Here's another tidbit  Rabin was originally tapped for Asia and rehersed with them (Including Steve Howe) but it fell through.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Funny thing is it WAS meant to be a whole new band called Cinema but the label saw money they added Anderson and it became "Yes".

Either way i Adore that period now.

Here's another tidbit  Rabin was originally tapped for Asia and rehersed with them (Including Steve Howe) but it fell through.

Mick

Rabin is the better pop guitarist, that wouldve been incredible if it worked. Steve delivered well on the debut though, so cant complain too much

• Like 1