Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I listened to the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore for the first time ever.  I've heard about it forever hailed as one of the greatest live albums ever, so I finally decided to give it a listen on Apple Music.

It was fine I guess.  I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

Jimmy Eat World- Damage 

This is my favourite album at the moment.

It has been out for about a decade (maybe more) and its taken that long to truly warm to it. Its a beautiful album, full of heart and I am playing it daily atm.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I have a ticket to see them next week, but I’ve never listened to them before (an old friend told me we should go see them, so I caved). Thoughts?

Easily one of my favorite bands. They're a prime example of Midwest Emo. Their guitarist/singer consistently blows my mind. The vocals are mostly sung, but they use some screaming and spoken word. They're great live too! Their last four albums, Celebrate, Swell, Breathe, and their self-titled are probably where most of the songs they'll play are from. Celebrate is my personal favorite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Yesterday I listened to the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore for the first time ever.  I've heard about it forever hailed as one of the greatest live albums ever, so I finally decided to give it a listen on Apple Music.

It was fine I guess.  I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

That's exactly how I feel about it!

5 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Metallica_-_Kill_'Em_All_cover.jpg

After four Björk albums in a row, I just needed a break -- something heavier.

Totally fair, lol

• Like 1

Dragonforce - The Power Within

Dragonforce - Maximum Overload

Dragonforce - Reaching Into Infinity

First thing to note is that with The Power Within they got a new singer.  I had enjoyed the original vocalist but I thought the new one was a slight but noticeable improvement.  Best song on the album?  Hard to say.  Could be "Cry Thunder" or it could be "Give me the Night".  Not that those are significantly better than most of the other songs on the album.  Overall the album was better that the album that preceded it but not close to the first 3 albums.

Turning to Maximum Overload, I thought there was one song which clearly stood out and that was "3 Hammers".  The second best song is a toss up between "Symphony of the Night" and "The Sun is Dead".  That being said, there was a lot of good material on the album.  Defiantly better than the 2 albums which preceded it but not up to the level of the first 3 albums from this group.  Its also worth noting that the vocals on this album were noticeable better (IMO) then the preceding album.  Guess either the vocalist improved or they figured out how to write for him (or both).  One last thing I will note - they covered John Cash's "Ring of Fire" on the album.  Odd.  Likely the weakest song on the album but they kinda made it work.  Sort of.

As for Reaching into Infinity, man, this is one crazy album.  For starters, the vocals continued to improve in quality.  But what made it crazy was they tried a lot of wild stuff here.  Not just the bonkers guitar & drum work.  No.  I am talking about in the songwriting.  This may be their most varied album of all and their best - including their first 3 albums.  If you have not checked it out you might want to give it a shot.  Best song? IMO that would easily be "The Edge of the World".  In fact, I would say its easily the best song I have heard from this group so far - including "Through the Fire and Flame".  Its an 11+ minute long song that has everything - interesting lyrics, the crazy guitar work the band is known for, clean vocals but also some death growls.  Normally I HATE death growls / extreme vocals  but here they were done in such a way that they added to the song and I was able to tolerate them.  Unleash the Archers is the only other band thats managed to do that - and just on their last 2 albums.

Beyond "The Edge of the World" their are a bunch of other interesting songs. "Silence" (a slower paced song about the suicide of a friend of one of the band members as I understand it), "Midnight Madness", "Our Final Stand", "Hatred & Revenge" & "Curse of Darkness" all are rather entertaining..  Their are some other decent songs as well.

On the flip side however, I actively disliked the song "War" which sounded like they had merged their sound with some thrash band (Slayer perhaps?).  Can't really tell - I don't care for thrash.  I even more actively disliked the song "Evil Dead".  Don't know what the f they were doing when they did that song.  The vocals just make me shudder.

But I give them credit for branching out and trying a lot of weird / different stuff.  Very good album.

Glad I checked out this band.  

Jimmy Eat World- Damage 

Jimmy Eat World- Surviving

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Ridetl.png

Odds that you see this marathon through to the end?

my guess is you stop somewhere in the 90s, ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Odds that you see this marathon through to the end?

my guess is you stop somewhere in the 90s, ;)

Not intending to marathon them, but if I were, you'd be correct! Truth be told, I do have an urge to revisit Load and Reload again and see if my perception has changed over time.

These Metallica albums I've played were serving as a palate cleanser in the midst of my current Björk fixation. 

• Like 1

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

Rush- A Farewell To Kings

Rush- Roll The Bones 

Random order, I know. These could be my top five 

• Like 9